Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shea O'Shea Wicklow Kerry Help

• 14-06-2011 3:57pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Shea O'Shea Wicklow Kerry help

So I have managed to get a little further with the Shea (O’Shea) side of my famil and have hit another wall.
    I cant find the family on the 1901 Census. I have found my G-Grandmother as she was working in Service in Bray but her father, mother, sister and two brothers have disappeared.
    I have found all their Bapstim Records in Little Bray, Bray, County Wicklow.
    Catherine (Kate) 1882 – G Grandmother
    Rosanna (Rosie) 1886
    Patrick (Pat) 1884
    William (Bill) 1889

I have also found their parents marriage Certificate
    23.10.1881 Little Bray, Bray, County Wicklow
    John Shea - Mary Redmond
    Father Jacob Shea John Redmond
    Mother Bridget Shea Catherine Keegan

I have the family on the 1911 Census as O’Shea and John has passed on by then, along with Rosie (who I know from my grandmother died at 16).
    I have no idea where John was from, grandmother says Kerry, C aherciveen Kerry but her brother said Tralee – so I have no idea how he would have ended up in Bray.
    Also, I cant find a baptisimal Certificate for Mary Redmond but I have found one for her brother William in 1865 again, in Little Bray (he was a witiness at their wedding).

I also thought Jacob Shea would be a good searachable name but no such luck

I am just wondering if their any alternative names to Shea that I have missed (I know John and two boys were fluent irish speakers).
    I have tried
    Shee
    O’Se
    Shea
    O’Shea

I don’t think there is any point in me going to BMD, as I don’t have a starting point or maybe I should?

Any help /ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    IB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Some people around here still use the spelling Ó Seaghdha (and variations). Might be worth having a try in the Kerry records.
    Have you tried the following records yet?
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/location.jsp?diocese=KERRY

Best of luck. Ó Sheas - of all spellings - are pretty common in most parts of Kerry :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you tried O Sé (with the fada) and also the O with a space after it before the Shea without an apostrophe? The transcribers were not uniform in the way they entered O and Mac surnames. Also sometimes the O can have a fada on it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

irishbird wrote: »
    Shea O'Shea Wicklow Kerry help

...........I have no idea where John was from, grandmother says Kerry, C aherciveen Kerry but her brother said Tralee – so I have no idea how he would have ended up in Bray.

.............I know John and two boys were fluent irish speakers).

IB

The railway came to Killarney just after the Famine, early 1850's and in the years following branch lines opened to several other towns, Kenmare, Cahirciveen, etc. That opened up the county and enabled mobility. Hunch - as both were 'fluent Irish speakers' it is more likely that they were from the Cahirciveen area rather than Tralee.
    Rs
    P.

Advertisement