Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!!

• 14-06-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Since one of my dogs had puppies recently, my dad now wants my other dog to have puppies. Shes 7. Im pretty sure shes too old but he not convinced. Id love little puppies but they can be a handful especially if theres loads of them in it. Plus if it will affect her in any way i dont want to do it. Hes now convinced that he want her to have puppies. HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Yes she is too old. Please do not breed her as there is likely to be complications. Also the country is over run with pups needing homes at the moment so really if you are in doubt please do not breed your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Generally the maximum average age to breed from a female dog is around 6 depending on the breed of course. I wouldnt advise it at 7 to be honest although im open to correction. Is she a pedigree? Id highlight the statistics of the amount of unwanted puppies and dogs in ireland at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If she has never had a litter then yes, its too old at 7 years old. You can breed and register pups from a bitch up to 8 years of age with the IKC, but most reputable breeders dont recommend to breed a bitch that old unless she has bred a litter already, ie 7 years old is too old to have their first litter.

What breed is your dog btw? Why does your dad want the bitch to have pups now? Is she of very special quality, champion, good brood bitch etc etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

Well if its your dog not your dad's then its your decision, not his. Hopefully that will be a no!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

As others have stated, 7 is too old, assuming you decide not to breed, you should get her speyed. If not you run the risk of infections and a thing called pyometra when she gets a lot older. Bitch's get this from years of scar tissue build up from years of estrus which gets infected. We had a dog once who had this and had to be speyed at 15. She survived, but only barely. Cost us a fortune too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement