Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up and coming Irish bands?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know of a website that new and upcoming Irish bands can upload their music to increase their chances of being recognised by agents, potential managers etc..?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Sound cloud, myspace, facebook there your best bets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stepter

Cheers for that people, will take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

http://www.breakingtunes.com/

That's an Irish site (Why they didn't go with .ie domain i'll never know but anyway)

Made specifically for what you are looking for,they are run by first music contact who do really push hard for Irish artists, they are funded by arts council I think. I went to a seminar thing about it a couple months back, they seem to be for once trying to do something for the local industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cubenio

I'd go with Leviathon's suggestion firstly......

The building blocks to getting attention should include

Decent Band Artist/Photo
    Short to the point Bio
    Professionally Recorded EP,Single
    Send this release out to Industry(Press,Radio,record and publishing companies)
    Collect Press Reviews for these tracks EP,Single
    Send Tracks to online Blogs in Ireland,UK and US
    Put in place a 12-18 month Plan - to include Gigs,recording,Press releases, Online Videos,Radio Sesisons etc

If you have cash backing - look at hiring a PR company to look after promotion for you.

Also start to build up a list of industry contacts(seperate to your fanbase) asap...a bit of work on the web will start to get this going...

Just a few starting points I'm sure people will have more to add - A bit more information than Off the Walls post anyway

hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

leviathon wrote: »
    they seem to be for once trying to do something for the local industry.

"seem to be" being the operative words there.

for Irish sites you could go to

www.downloadmusic.ie - more sales based
    www.outersounds.ie - more sales based

www.gigsmartireland.com - think is being closed soon though
    www.cpu.ie

theres also muzu.tv though I'm not sure if they still do MP3 uploading

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spuddy91

There is a gig coming up soon with some good up and coming Irish Bands. It is down in PortLaoise in Kavanagh's Bar & Venue I think. It has Colour Me Pink and Storyboard playing at it who could go places and a few more bands. Should be a good gig and it's a tenner at the door and it goes to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

I think downloadmusic.ie is as good as gone from what i heard no?

FB likes, as sad as it seems, are pretty important. more you have the easier it is to get gigs etc. say you have 10000 fans if even 15% of them are active fans and go to your gigs, its a start. Just find every possible music site on the net and put it up there. google is the key. just have to do a bit of searching.

Radio seems to be almost impossible to get onto unless you have a contact in the station and even then the only irish music the national and most regional stations play is U2 and the script. they arent taking chances of playing a new irish band and risk loosing listenership. only something like 15% of irish music has to be played and labels have this closed up pretty much.

Seems like irish music is going back and becoming an underground scene and just hoping to get a shot that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    Seems like irish music is going back and becoming an underground scene and just hoping to get a shot that way.

unfortunately indie music just isnt profitable business to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

just to add to the above...if i've said this once, i've said it a trillion times...set up your own website. you don't need IT expertise, just someone with a bit of cop on.

there's lots of providers now doing it and for a few quid a month you can have a professional, powerful calling card. its a no brainer for any semi-serious band.

myspace has had its day i think - use it for its SEO and plaster it with links back to your website.

also sign up to good blogs and devour info on new stuff and tips on DIY approaches etc - heres one of them www.musicthinktank.com - go back through the archives. absolutely essential reading in there. it will change your whole approach for the better.

after that you have to take the reigns and see what works for you and your music, no one can hold your hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

and another thing dude - don't believe the myths, its very very very rare for bands to be discovered by industry people just 'happening upon them' on the net.

you have to be making some waves or else approaching them directly.

Advertisement