Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Core gamers never hated Kinect"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I never hated Kinect....I just wasn't interested in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd agree with the Sunsine. I never hated, I never really read anywhere that anyone had any major problems with it. All I ever saw was disinterest due to the phenomenally lacklustre game list for it.

I would say that you'll get some hatred as they start to release more games and especially Kinect only games, if Kinect can't live up to it's promises. Like if they release ME4 as kinect only and it doesn't quite work then you'll see backlash. For now, nobody cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

who hates it and why??? If you don't like something you don't have to play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oh I'll hate it alright , I'll hate it when a games come out that have absolutely no need to be Kinect enabled but are and have achievements tied to Kinect :mad:

That rubbish in Ghost Recon Future Soldier will be one of them I bet grrrrrrrrr.

Right now I have mild disinterest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I'm pretty much on the fence about Kinect. Certainly don't hate it, love the tech involved, until today's review of Child Of Eden on Joystiq there wasn't a game that I was interested in.

After reading the review, I actually considered purchasing it just for that game... €150 for Kinect + €50 for the game... think I'll keep considering it a bit longer until that price drop happens on Kinect... €200 for 90 minutes of game time, not going to happen :rolleyes:

FYI: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/child-of-eden-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can get Kinect brand new for €80-€100 on Amazon if you check around day to day. I was going to get it last weekend when it was going for £78 but it's now back at £105.

Personally I hate the whole move kinect thing going on. It seems to be getting tacked on to main stream games as there are no good games for the hardware yet almost a year later down the line.

Every first party game and every Tom Clancy game for now on will have Kinect features so they are really pushing it.

I can see good uses of it, like the head tracking features in Forza 4. I use Track IR with my PC flight sims and ARMA fps and it makes a world of difference to those games that I can't play without it now. It could also make complex RTS games a reality on the 360 with Kincet controls. Using it to quickly select groups of units and set waypoints across a level for them really quickly and navigating complex menues. There is has a ton of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

untill it comes down in price id be pretty unwilling to give it a try especially since i paid full top dollar for the 360 slim when it came out then the kinnect was released soon after for the same price pretty much, pesky william gates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Seriously considering picking it up since E3, again it's more the technology I'm interested in but damn, Ghost Recon looked deadly (well at least the gun smith part). Has full voice control come to Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Shred wrote: »
    Has full voice control come to Ireland yet?

Thats the big thing I don't get with Kinect and voice control. Voice control can work through the standard XBL headset. Even the Xbox 1 had voice control via the old head set on the Rainbow Six games. All of a sudden it's not supported on next gen tech 10 years later without a patch. Hardly ground breaking stuff.

Walking into a room and having Kincet recognize you and log your profile into Live automatically, on the other hand is impressive.

Problem for me and the big one stopping me from buying Kinect is the space needed. Just don't have it. I can't use the PS Move anywhere in my house as it is.

Track IR is grand as it can do head tracking with you sitting point back at the screen, with zoom in at out functions if you lean into or away from it. Pity Kinect can't manage that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

when it hits less than 90 euro I'll consider it, if it hits 70 which i believe it possibly will i shall pick it up. They can lick the back end of my bollox if they think I'll pay 150e for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They're up for sale on adverts all the time. Pretty sure you'd get one for about 90.

I'm a casual gamer, I have a Kinect, and I hate it most of the time. can't get it to pick the kids up properly at all, and when I use it seems to think I'm having spasm attacks at the best of times. The onscreen avatar does all kinds of leg and arm jerks without prompt, and I have been through the set up in different lighting conditions etc ... The new labs 'Kinect me' thinks I'm black, with black emo hair. I'm not, and I don't have.

It doesn't track anywhere near as good as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Problem for me and the big one stopping me from buying Kinect is the space needed. Just don't have it. I can't use the PS Move anywhere in my house as it is.

This could be your lucky day... with a pair of These

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Some core gamers think they can speak for the rest of us and say we all hate Kinect. Snore.

I have Kinect and it isn't up to much yet, but it was potential. I'm really looking forward to Child of Eden this Friday.

I admit though, it actually gets the most use from me in the laziest way (ironically), voice control for videos.
    "XBOX.... PAUSE!"

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

The biggest issue I have with the Kinect is that it was shipped too early just to outdo the competition...its still in the beta stage as far as I can see and I have one for the past 6 months.

its not up to par yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Kinect Fun Labs is a fun diversion for a couple of minutes. They seem to be adding various new Apps that were once just community 'hacks'. (with 50 cheap Gamerscore each).

Keyboard Anywhere seems to be the next one that'll be released (after the Kinect Chatroom one and the Finger Tracking drawing one) https://kinectshare.com/Content/News/NewsDetail.aspx?id=ce41aac4-240e-422e-8dac-2a7e9520ed14

With the SDK officially released as a beta now, there could be a further uptake of these community hacks that get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Well, there it is, I officially hate Kinect

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-20-halo-ce-anniversary-supports-kinect

Not sure why this has ticked me off so much, but it has. I genuinely cannot see how they could implement Kinect into Halo, and make it a useful and/or fun experience.

In fact, we don't really know how Kinect is going to with with a lot of these triple A games. However, I can speak about Mass Effect 3. You can be as indifferent as you want, but just wait until Kinect starts affecting the quality of your favourite games.

The reality is that, because of this Kinect functionality that only a small number of people will use, it'll affect post-launch DLC, not to mention development costs and times. While these might not affect ME3 much, they'll most definitely affect other games, and may cause us to get less with our game.

Rather than simply creating a DLC like before, BioWare will now have to commit time and resources to programming in the Kinect functionality, so that you can use Kinect to choose DLC dialogue options with you voice. This means DLC will take longer to come out, I'm sure Microsoft have a stricter and longer certification process if Kinect is involved, and because of costs, we may get shorter DLCs (which have never really been that long, in BioWare's case). Or, we just might get less DLC (if any)

I'd like to see how Kinect functionality affects the number of bugs in a game, too. Bethesda better stay a mile away from Kinect.

Oh, and if they even think about slapping that dirty purple bar across the top of my Collector's Edition box, I'm buying the PS3 version.

Screw you, Kudo. Go hit a bong, play Child Of Eden, and stop flogging this tacked-on Kinect functionality with blockbuster games. If you want to make me buy a Kinect, go develop some decent games for it, and stop slapping it onto every good future game coming out on Xbox.

I mad.

Link
    :D Fair play to him for speaking up..there again he can never keep his mouth closed for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I never hated kinect - just thought they should have kept the "eyetoy" brand name when they made its successor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Having bought Kinect at Xmas ... I had turned anti-Kinect, with the lack of games to back up the technology.

Picked up Child Of Eden at the weekend - and it has blown me away. It's like nothing I've experienced before in gaming ... amazing game, and showcases what the technology can do. It's just something totally different. Kinect is something to play a few hours a week ... playing regular games rest of the time.

Anybody else pick up Child Of Eden. For me, the Kinect has finally come to life! For me it just opens up a new kind of gaming to compliment regular controller gaming - whether merging the 2 concepts (eg Mass Effect 3, Halo) is a good idea, time will tell. I'm guessing that Kinect will have a minor role in these games.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Having bought Kinect at Xmas ... I had turned anti-Kinect, with the lack of games to back up the technology.

Picked up Child Of Eden at the weekend - and it has blown me away. It's like nothing I've experienced before in gaming ... amazing game, and showcases what the technology can do. It's just something totally different. Kinect is something to play a few hours a week ... playing regular games rest of the time.

Anybody else pick up Child Of Eden. For me, the Kinect has finally come to life! For me it just opens up a new kind of gaming to compliment regular controller gaming - whether merging the 2 concepts (eg Mass Effect 3, Halo) is a good idea, time will tell. I'm guessing that Kinect will have a minor role in these games.

Could be worth a look...hopefully they'll release a demo soon

Theres also an kinect lense attachment for those with smaller rooms..i sure could do with one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd gladly pick up the Kinect but two things are stopping me from doing so.

A) Lack of space at the moment in my house to use it properly

and

B) The price of it.

The tech seems great and some of the stuff that was showcased at E3 looked alright. Ghost Recon in particular with Kinect looked great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

koneko wrote: »
    Some core gamers think they can speak for the rest of us and say we all hate Kinect. Snore.

I have Kinect and it isn't up to much yet, but it was potential. I'm really looking forward to Child of Eden this Friday.

I admit though, it actually gets the most use from me in the laziest way (ironically), voice control for videos.
    "XBOX.... PAUSE!"

When it has a function to pause and rewind videos 5 seconds when I get up and leave I'll consider getting it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd gladly pick up the Kinect but two things are stopping me from doing so.

B) The price of it.

Well it's £79.98 right now on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B0036DDW2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310423566&sr=8-1

Which figures as I ordered it on Saturday for £99 after waiting for it to come down for a few weeks:rolleyes: Ah well, had a voucher so it didn't cost me a penny, but still.

Advertisement