Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grand Social

Options
  • 14-06-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

has anyone ever been?

Is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I went to see Heiko Laux play a DJ set there before Christmas. Apart from arsehole bouncers it was pretty decent. We were upstairs though and not in the main bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I was not a fan, much preferred Pravda. The music was bland and boring, and it felt like everyone there was forcing their enjoyment just a little bit. The bar was slow and expensive, but did have some interesting beers. Smoking 'terrace' upstairs beats having to go out front to Liffey Street, but is a little stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Yeah I was there for Ancient Methods/Adam X/Sunil Sharpe.

Sound was a bit sh1te, but other than that i liked it. Smoking area is cool- covered and with seats etc, and the upstairs has a nice vibe.
    would have been nicer with better sound but its not a bad spot at all. Was only upstairs though, so I dunno what downstairs is like.

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    Yeah I was there for Ancient Methods/Adam X/Sunil Sharpe.

Sound was a bit sh1te, but other than that i liked it. Smoking area is cool- covered and with seats etc, and the upstairs has a nice vibe.
    would have been nicer with better sound but its not a bad spot at all. Was only upstairs though, so I dunno what downstairs is like.

Smoking section is deadly alright. How did you find Ancient Methods? They supported Planetary Assault Systems in Andrews Lane a few years ago and were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

I quite like the grand social, its a nice spot for a quiet afternoon pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Its a gay bar isn't it

Pour le homo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

temply wrote: »
    Its a gay bar isn't it

Pour le homo

No.

No.

:confused: i heard it was?

temply wrote: »
    :confused: i heard it was?

You heard wrong.

SteoL wrote: »
    You heard wrong.

it is on a sunday i'm hearing now... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I much prefer it to Pravda. Smell of piss around the toilets in Pravda was rank, and it only seems to linger in The Grand Social in the area immediately around the toilets, which is an improvement. Bar staff seem a lot nicer and friendlier (at least the girl I was talking to when I was there definitely was) and the smoking area is great. I wouldn't've gone to either Pravda or The Grand Social for the music, so it doesn't bother me either way. And the higher tables are much better and practical than Pravda.

When I went it was alright, nice cosy atmosphere, but not many seats and not very lively. I'd say it's better for chatty drinks rather than a lively night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Bring back the soviet decoration :(

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

SteoL wrote: »
    Smoking section is deadly alright. How did you find Ancient Methods? They supported Planetary Assault Systems in Andrews Lane a few years ago and were fantastic.

Ancient Methods Killed it, played a sick set. same goes for Adam X. and Sunil played a whooper set as per usual.

'course i was ourra it so anything would have sounded good:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ArcadeDeluxe

funny i know a few people who have played here and said the sound is great????

Advertisement