Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 100 non fiction books

Options
  • 14-06-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

The guardian is making a top 100 non fiction books list and looking for suggestions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/jun/14/100-greatest-non-fiction-books

Just in case it interests anyone. Also thought people could leave titles here too that although might not make the top 100 seeing as there's some mighty stiff competition for each category but have made an impact on the reader nonetheless.

A book I would have in the science category would be.

The road to reality - Roger Penrose.

Although not as popular or as easy to read as Brief History of Time. It is the definitive book for anyone who truly wants to understand the universe and the laws that govern it. Is in my opinion anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Maybe not one for the 100 Best list but similar to the Penrose book The Left Hand of Creation by John D. Barrow and Joseph Silk is a favourite of mine on the subject of cosmology and theoretical physics.

I would definitely include A Brief History of Time in any Best Nonfiction list for the way it brought a very complex subject to the masses.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 majessticon

I'm surprised not to see The Language Instinct by Stephen Pinker. That was fairly revelatory, easy to read for the non-academic, and quite funny to boot.

On a similarly linguistic note, Russ Rymer's Genie is far and away the best biography I've ever read. Touching, informative, surprisingly literary and poetic at times, too. It definitely deserves to be up there.

Advertisement