Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student - DIT - lost.. help!

Options
  • 14-06-2011 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Afternoon folks-

Just got my letter that i have been accepted for my course :) delighted!
    I am really quite lost as regards funing/grants and could use any help.

I have been to Citizens Info & Student Finance but i'm still a shade lost.

I'm 28. I'm leaving full time employment to pursue the career i actually want.
    I'm happy & nervous. I live independently, i also have loans & bills.

Citizens info basically said i am entitled only to a means tested grant and nothing else as i already am working and have not been on the dole (which allows more financial aid i gather)
    help!

What do i need to fill in?
    What am i actually entitled to after years and years paying tax?
    Am i to pay 'fee's' for entry?
    Do i get rent / travel as i'm down country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

orio wrote: »
    Afternoon folks-

Citizens info basically said i am entitled only to a means tested grant and nothing else as i already am working and have not been on the dole (which allows more financial aid i gather)
    help!

Hi Orio

Congrats on your successful acceptance to your course.

I'm no expert on these matters but I'm fairly sure all you are potentially entitled to is a means tested maintenance grant or assistance with fees.

The Back to Education allowance is restricted to those who are in receipt of social welfare already or who have been made redundant in the last year. Based on your post neither of these criteria apply to you so don't think you will be able to go down this road.

You may have already checked out the link below which gives a fair amount of info on what grants are available.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

You should maybe contact the mature student office at DIT and see what advice they can give you.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tonyr1

orio wrote: »
    Afternoon folks-

help!

Hi You may also be entitled to tax refund if you don't use up your remaining tax credits for remainder of year. Contact PAYE help desk they can advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 orio

Thank you both,

I have contacted my local VEC to see if i can make an appointment with the grants people to discuss. So far they haven't replied.

Advertisement