Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughshinny harbour

Options
  • 14-06-2011 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Loughshinny harbour is a absolute disgrace. The fishermen and local people should be ashamed of themselves. The harbour wall itself is in a terriable state. With rotten lobster pots lying around the place, and the smell of the place, Christ. It only takes a few minutes to wash the harbour wall down, and to clean the pots. The beach is worse, I lost count of the number of decomposing fish and fish skeletons littered on the beach. Clearly the fishermen are just dumping the fish overboard in the harbour as opposed to at sea. If that wasnt bad enough, there was horse **** all over the beach car park. Im shocked at the state of the beach and carpark. Do the locals and fishermen have no pride in the area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Did you ask any of the locals why the harbour area is in such a state?
    To be honest, most 'working' harbours tend not to be 'picture postcard' material.
    I've not been to Loughshinny in a while so can't comment on its current state.
    Have you thought of contacting Fingal Co Co? I believe that they are responsible for the maintenance of the harbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

No didnt see any locals? Just wanted to go to a quite beach with the kids. I got a shock at what I saw. I know its also a work place. But there is no excuse for what I saw today on the beach. I was gobsmacked at the amount of rotting fish and skeletons on the beach. Balbrigan and Clogherhead are working harbours and are well maintained... Havnt contacted Fingal Co. Co. But might drop them a mail this evening.

That would be a better idea alright - well, better than having a right go at the locals when it is not their responsibility to maintain the area.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    No didnt see any locals? Just wanted to go to a quite beach with the kids. I got a shock at what I saw. I know its also a work place. But there is no excuse for what I saw today on the beach. I was gobsmacked at the amount of rotting fish and skeletons on the beach. Balbrigan and Clogherhead are working harbours and are well maintained... Havnt contacted Fingal Co. Co. But might drop them a mail this evening.

Try BIM too, the local fisheries officer might be interested to know that they dump the waste fish near the harbour. I was there last year and this year to take photos from the harbour wall and it was in a bad state each time. Empty Plastic 5 gallon cannisters of what I presume was lubricant for the boat throw in a broken doorway in the harbour wall. Broken equipment eveywhere and what the OP describes on the quay. When I went back the amount of rubbish had increased. Very poor advert for the Irish Food industry and Loughshinny. Its just general good housekeeping. Having to call the council because people can't clean up their own mess and keep the workplace safe is a joke IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I'd certainly agree that the debris and filth is shocking there.
    Carcases everywhere and a foul stench of rot and diesel fuel.
    Not a place to take the kids for a wander :(

• Advertisement

Just wanted to go to a quite beach with the kids.
    Slightly off-topic...
    If it is a quite beach that you want - try Barnageeragh beach (half-way between Balbriggan & Skerries). Access is via a slip road opposite the turn off for Ardgillan on the coast road. The beach is clean, but bathing is not advised due to strong currents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to agree - Loughshinny harbour is beautiful, it's such a pity there's always so much debris on the beach.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    That would be a better idea alright - well, better than having a right go at the locals when it is not their responsibility to maintain the area.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

No, its not there responsability to maintain the area. But they should take some pride in the area, and of reported the dumpers long before now... I was going to ring Fingal Co Co this morning. But if the people that live there cant be bothered looking after the area and reporting the culprits. Why should I

That's fair enough. It was just that as you felt strongly enough to post here I thought that I'd point you in the direction of the people that are actually responsible for the maintenance of the area in question.

I agree that locals should take pride in their locality. In Skerries, for example, there is the Adopt-a-Beach programme where families take responsibilty for a particular stretch of beach & collect litter, etc regularly. Maybe Loughshinny folk should consider something similar?

A little off topic but no matter how clean a beach is you always find some plastic on Irish beaches these days. There is a thread in the Sustainability forum that the EU is considering paying fishermen for fishing plastic out of EU waters.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056258810

A very worthy idea but will need proper policing to prevent fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

Loughshinny harbour is a absolute disgrace. The fishermen and local people should be ashamed of themselves. The harbour wall itself is in a terriable state. With rotten lobster pots lying around the place, and the smell of the place, Christ. It only takes a few minutes to wash the harbour wall down, and to clean the pots. The beach is worse, I lost count of the number of decomposing fish and fish skeletons littered on the beach. Clearly the fishermen are just dumping the fish overboard in the harbour as opposed to at sea. If that wasnt bad enough, there was horse **** all over the beach car park. Im shocked at the state of the beach and carpark. Do the locals and fishermen have no pride in the area

Its a working harbour what do you expect, it was built originally as a work place and not a promenade for people to walk on. As for the horse crap that is caused by people who aren't even from the village, probably just like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Think your statement is slightly unfair to the fishermen and people of Loughshinny.
    It is not all the fault of the fishermen and locals. Loughshinny harbour gets quite a bit of debris washed in on the tides and there was a few wild days these past few weeks. Just like some of the coves between Loughshinny and Rush and in the opposite direction also. Look at the amount of seaweed washed in these past few weeks.

Thats not to say there is not any mess left by fishermen but just bear in mind a lot of pots with bait are just off the harbour and this is most likely where some of the carcus's come from. Loughshinny harbour needs some facilities like small proper storage for equipment.

Loughshinny from what I can see is a well kept village. Quite a few visitors to the beachs also just throw paper and plastic bags away and expect F.C.C to clean it up. This has always happened and I well remember the mess the Rush beachs were regularly left in by Tourists.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    That's fair enough. It was just that as you felt strongly enough to post here I thought that I'd point you in the direction of the people that are actually responsible for the maintenance of the area in question.

I agree that locals should take pride in their locality. In Skerries, for example, there is the Adopt-a-Beach programme where families take responsibilty for a particular stretch of beach & collect litter, etc regularly. Maybe Loughshinny folk should consider something similar?

If I felt as strongly as the OP I would be writing to Fingal C.C. rather than insulting a fairly decent community
    Duzzer wrote: »
    Its a working harbour what do you expect, it was built originally as a work place and not a promenade for people to walk on. As for the horse crap that is caused by people who aren't even from the village, probably just like you.

I can sense your anger Duzzer but, Not all the Horse **** is left by people from outside the village. FACT

Surely its not beyond the ability of Fingal to assist with keeping the Harbour area tidy by providing a skip every 3 months or the boats with a bin collection. I go down there every few weeks and think its a grand spot

Duzzer - Attack the post, not the poster.

HB

What's Fingal rules about horses on beaches? I heard that access to Rush South beach was restricted to one horse owner, I could be wrong. Are they allowed on other beaches in Fingal?

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/BeachesinFingal/HorsesOnBeaches/

No person shall have, keep, ride or drive a horse/pony on a beach other than in the circumstances described in the Schedule to these Bye-Laws (Link to Beach Bye-Laws).

Persons in charge of a horse/pony on a beach shall ensure the following:-

* It is under adequate control
    * It is not causing annoyance to any person using the beach or worrying, chasing, injuring or disturbing any animals, birds or other creatures on the beach
    * Removal of its faeces and depositing it in a litter bin or other receptacle which may be designated for this purpose.
    * Horseriding takes place below mean high water mark, except for the purposes of obtaining access to or egress from the beach.(This bye-law does not apply to horses kept by An Garda Siochana and wholly used by an employee or member of An Garda Siochana while on duty).

Every person bringing a horse or pony onto the beach area shall be responsible and liable for any damage or injury to property or persons which may be caused by it.

I love the bit about removal of its faeces and depositing it in a litter bin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 redbeetlejuice

Was at the beach last week and have to agree it was grubby looking with regards to fishermen leaving their pots around. Lots of dogs running round off their leads too.
    Don't think I'll be rushing back to a beach with poo! Have to say beach in Skerries has always been lovely any time I've visited.

Yes I realise its a working harbour as I mentioned. But I have never seen any other harbour so badly kept. Surly the fishermen would appreciate a SAFE clean environment. Regardless of the horse crap there is NO EXCUSE for the amount of fish carcus lying around. I have spoken to someone who has noticed a few irregularity relating to the ESB poles in the harbour. LeoB its not my intention to attack the people of Loughshinney. When clearly the problem lies with the mindset of those who operate out of the harbour as we have already seen in thread. Who I assume are local. It baffles me that people can have such a lack of pride in there workplace and village.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/BeachesinFingal/HorsesOnBeaches/

No person shall have, keep, ride or drive a horse/pony on a beach other than in the circumstances described in the Schedule to these Bye-Laws (Link to Beach Bye-Laws).

Persons in charge of a horse/pony on a beach shall ensure the following:-

* It is under adequate control
    * It is not causing annoyance to any person using the beach or worrying, chasing, injuring or disturbing any animals, birds or other creatures on the beach
    * Removal of its faeces and depositing it in a litter bin or other receptacle which may be designated for this purpose.
    * Horseriding takes place below mean high water mark, except for the purposes of obtaining access to or egress from the beach.(This bye-law does not apply to horses kept by An Garda Siochana and wholly used by an employee or member of An Garda Siochana while on duty).

Every person bringing a horse or pony onto the beach area shall be responsible and liable for any damage or injury to property or persons which may be caused by it.

I love the bit about removal of its faeces and depositing it in a litter bin :p

Yes I love the one about clearing up horse faeces too, doesn't happen, the same with dogs running loose on beaches. I discovered the lovely beach in Donabate recently and couldn't get over the amount of dogs allowed to run loose by owners and dog and horse droppings. I did point out to one "lady" that she failed to pick up her dogs droppings but she just walked on looking at me like I was mad. What can you do with such people?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yes I love the one about clearing up horse faeces too, doesn't happen, the same with dogs running loose on beaches. I discovered the lovely beach in Donabate recently and couldn't get over the amount of dogs allowed to run loose by owners and dog and horse droppings. I did point out to one "lady" that she failed to pick up her dogs droppings but she just walked on looking at me like I was mad. What can you do with such people?

Pick up the poo and fire it at them!

Beach Bye-Laws (section 9, paragraph 4)
    "No person shall be allowed fire poo at another"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Damn it!

Seriously though, I think it's fair game.

Larianne wrote: »
    Damn it!

Seriously though, I think it's fair game.

I can just see the headlines now!
    Man with limp wanted after attacking woman with dog faeces in well know Fingal beauty spot. Arrest soon to follow.
    :D

Already had the local paper not far off comparing Fingal to Baltimore of "The Wire " fame for violent crime rates. This could be the tipping point. :pac:

I could go national!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    What's Fingal rules about horses on beaches? I heard that access to Rush South beach was restricted to one horse owner, I could be wrong. Are they allowed on other beaches in Fingal?

Therte were signs up prohibiting horses from beach at certain times. I know one professional racehorse trainer uses it but for a very short period of time possibly to help the horses recover from race or training. He does not gallop up and down just walks them out into the sea and then back to his lorry.
    I have spoken to someone who has noticed a few irregularity relating to the ESB poles in the harbour. .

Care to elaborate?
    LeoB its not my intention to attack the people of Loughshinney. When clearly the problem lies with the mindset of those who operate out of the harbour as we have already seen in thread. Who I assume are local. It baffles me that people can have such a lack of pride in there workplace and village.

Sounded like you were having a go at the people of Loughshinny in your op. You do have justifable concerns for this lovely spot but think you should tackle Fingal C.C.

You must be a member of the current Dail and under pressure to fire Poo? Right?

Yes I realise its a working harbour as I mentioned. But I have never seen any other harbour so badly kept. Surly the fishermen would appreciate a SAFE clean environment. Regardless of the horse crap there is NO EXCUSE for the amount of fish carcus lying around. I have spoken to someone who has noticed a few irregularity relating to the ESB poles in the harbour. LeoB its not my intention to attack the people of Loughshinney. When clearly the problem lies with the mindset of those who operate out of the harbour as we have already seen in thread. Who I assume are local. It baffles me that people can have such a lack of pride in there workplace and village.

Probably one of the last genuine working harbours in Fingal and you want to kill it off so it can look and smell nice when you are on your walk once every month. As said before the horse crap is caused by people who aren't originally from Loughshinny or don't live in the actual village of Loughshinny, FACT!

Probably one of the last genuine working harbours in Fingal and you want to kill it off so it can look and smell nice when you are on your walk once every month.

No I just think they deserve a clean, safe workplace. The pier is the fishermens yes, but they have no claim to the beach and have no right to pollute it.FACT. See what I did there, I put fact at the end of the sentance in capital letters. And this is the internet, so it must be true. Even if I have no way of backing up my claim. Duzzer is a mong FACT Duzzer sniffs girls bicycle seats. Duzzer is about twenty lives with his ma, works on the docks, loves the IRA, is a boy racer and secretly like boys FACT

Mr_Hat - Banned for a week. If/when you come back - do not insult other posters again.

HB

No I just think they deserve a clean, safe workplace. The pier is the fishermens yes, but they have no claim to the beach and have no right to pollute it.FACT. See what I did there, I put fact at the end of the sentance in capital letters. And this is the internet, so it must be true. Even if I have no way of backing up my claim. Duzzer is a mong FACT Duzzer sniffs girls bicycle seats. Duzzer is about twenty lives with his ma, works on the docks, loves the IRA, is a boy racer and secretly like boys FACT

Mr Hat is banned for a week, FACT!

Duzzer banned for a week also for flaming.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

In no way do I wish to post anything that would re-ignite a flame war nor do I ever want to take part in anything that insults other posters but I think if we are being honest it has to be said that it doesn't appear like anyone gives a damn about how Loughshinny presents itself.

Yes, there has been effort put into identifying walks etc but that on its own is not enough. The facts are that Loughshinny harbour is littered with fish carcasses and other stuff, and the beach is frequently desecrated by horse dung and worse again the evidence of human waste (especially sanitary towels) seems to appear everywhere.

I know because I photograph more around our stretch of coastline than perhaps most people do and I can tell you its getting more and more difficult to see past the sheer volume of rubbish, animal faeces, discarded lobster pots, discarded netting and lots of other stuff that lies on our coast especially between Skerries to Loughshinny and on to Rush.

It's a shame because it is perhaps the most visually interesting piece of coast on the eastern seaboard and collectively it's all our fault that it is this way.For anyone who is interested in seeing some of my images click on these links and you will see some familiar landmarks in the vicinity:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial/5837648676/in/set-72157626478732322
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial/5688010779/in/set-72157626478732322
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial/5816197679/in/set-72157626478732322
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial/5837648516/in/set-72157626478732322

What can we do about it? I'm not sure.

One thing I am sure of though, is that we are allowing one of the nicest places on the east coast to be abused by people who think it is within their right (or even birthright?) to litter and mess it up as they feel like it.

It's simply vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Was up at Loughshinny for a few hours this morning.

Beautiful morning. The light was coming and going but was very warm.

However during the time I was there:

- A horse was being exercised on the beach being cantered up and down the line of the tide. I watched as the horse defecated on the beach and then left, with the rider not making any effort to clean up the mess. :mad:

- This was being watched by two lifeguards on duty (1 male 1 female) who did nothing? .:confused:

_ I don't know how people are seriously expected to swim on a beach where animals are allowed to defecate? :o

- There was ample evidence of fish carcasses, prawn heads and all manner of fish waste discarded on both sides of the pier and on the beach.

- On the far side of the bay near Drumanagh there are several broken fishing boxes and old netting washed up on the rocks as well as what appears to be a very large central heating cylinder/boiler thing (industrial not domestic) washed up on the shore. The insulation surrounding the boiler had broken away in places and was being eroded by each tide.

- Overall the place was in its usual filthy state.

I left the harbour area and made my way across Drumanagh (which is the site of a promontory fort and is supposed to be a National Monument) to find that the Martello Tower is covered in graffiti and some of the stonework to the small outbuilding has been removed, so much so that it has rendered that structure quite unsafe as it looks liable to collapse fairly soon.

The terrible pity is that I could see lots of wildlife from Drumanagh - seals, cormorants, herons, owls, and various insects etc and the water around the head was crystal clear too.

Some of the previous posters (well one actually) seem to think that because Loughshinny pier is a place of work for members of one industry (fishing) that they then have a right to leave it in a condition so poor that it negatively impacts on a much larger industry (tourism) and that somehow this is ok?

The big joke is that there is a measure every week or so taken of the total coliform count and all that jazz posted up on a board (presumably by some council employees). It would be more to the point if they could seriously get their heads around some more practical things aswell such as:

1. Educate the fishermen into how to responsibly deal with waste. At the moment as far as I can see the term 'sustainability' seems to mean nothing to some (the majority of ?) fishermen, even though it should.

2. Educate the beach users (i.e. horse exercisers and litter droppers) in the responsible use of the beach and how it should be left so that other people can enjoy the facility.

3. There seems to be no effort made by any group, either Council or Local, to clear rubbish and large detritus from the beach or surrounding rock areas. Even though the beach attracts lots of walkers (some swimmers :o eeeewwww) and there are even people like me who are attracted by the geological features in the area....and this after all is the summer when peak visiting is expected.

While I don't condone the slanging match the OP got into, I can understand where he was coming from as regards his original post.

Advertisement