Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Qualification

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rivaldo-esque lifeline for Mexico's qualification:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

grenache wrote: »
    Bendtner scored twice for the Danes tonight in a 2-2 draw against Italy, who equalised in the last minute through Aqualani. Juve must be wondering why Bendtner could never do that when they had him on loan last season.
    He would have been doing well to do it having never got off the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Weekend results

Africa
    Burkina Faso 3 V 2 Algeria
    Ivory Coast 3 V 1 Senegal
    Ethiopia V Nigeria
    Tunisia V Cameroon

Europe
    Group A

Croatia 1 V 2 Belgium
    Wales 1 V 0 FYR Macedonia

Group B
    Denmark 2 V 2 Italy
    Malta 1 V 4 Czech Republic
    Armenia 2 V 1 Bulgaria

Group C
    Faroe Islands 1 V 1 Kazakhstan
    Germany 3 V 0 Republic of Ireland
    Sweden 2 V 1 Austria

Group D
    Netherlands 8 V 1 Hungary
    Andorra 0 V 4 Romania
    Estonia 0 V 2 Turkey

Group E
    Iceland 2 V 0 Cyprus
    Albania 1 V 2 Switzerland
    Slovenia 3 V 0 Norway

Group F
    Luxembourg 0 V 4 Russia
    Portugal 1 V 1 Israel
    Azerbaijan 2 V 0 Northern Ireland

Group G
    Bosnia-Herzegovina 4 V 1 Liechtenstein
    Lithuania 2 V 0 Latvia
    Greece 1 V 0 Slovakia

Group H
    Moldova 3 V 0 San Marino
    England 4 V 1 Montenegro
    Ukraine 1 V 0 Poland

Group I
    Spain 2 V 1 Belarus

North America
    Honduras 1 V 0 Costa Rica
    USA 2 V 0 Jamaica
    Mexico 2 V 1 Panama

South America
    Ecuador 1 V 0 Uruguay
    Colombia 3 V 3 Chile
    Venezuela 1 V 1 Paraguay
    Argentina 3 V 1 Peru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Australia may have qualified, but coach, Holger Osieck, won't be on the plane following another unacceptable friendly loss. This time a 6-0 thumping in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Disgraceful behaviour by Elmander last night. Should be ashamed of himself.

If he'd headbutted the referee no jury in the world convict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

patmac wrote: »
    Well done to Belgium 2 goals from Lukaku ensured qualification to Brazil, Croatia will be in the play offs

Second goal could have been disallowed because he kind of pushed the defender in the face, but the way he got the ball, the speed,...

Bonus: The party after the final whistle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

dfx- wrote: »
    Rivaldo-esque lifeline for Mexico's qualification:

Mexico would currently be sitting outside qualification with one game to go if this didn't happen.

Considering that, one of the all-around best goals CONCACAF has ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Would be nice to see Iceland hang on to their playoff spot, I can't remember them ever making a playoff before. Away to Norway in last game though, they'll need a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Iceland hang on to their playoff spot, I can't remember them ever making a playoff before. Away to Norway in last game though, they'll need a result.

Even more impressive considering that they were in the bottom pot for seeding after being ranked as the 6th worst team in Europe. Ironically Norway were in the highest pot. Gotta love those FIFA rankings :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FT Ethiopia 1, Nigeria 2 in the first leg, hard to see Ethiopia turning this one round. Led 1-0 for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah would be pretty cool to see em get a play off place and get to the WC as ,they've feck all population! They've a few good players in gylfi and sigthorssen (sp?) they've another good striker in the eredivisie as well i believe

Their group is probably the easiest group ive ever seen in european qualifying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Switzerland, Iceland, Slovenia, Norway, Albania and Cyprus.. Still can't understand how those teams got into the same group, they're all average sides, anyone of them could have qualified. FIFA based seedings is a joke, well FIFA ranking in general is. How could Norway possibly be a first seed if they haven't qualified for a major tournament since 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

aramush wrote: »
    How could Norway possibly be a first seed if they haven't qualified for a major tournament since 2000?

Despite including a weighted historical coefficient the FIFA rankings are very much a case of "well what have you done lately?" In the case of Norway they were able to jump nearly 50 places in the ranking in only 2.5 years thanks to a very good run over that period.

When Egil Olsen returned as manager in Jan 2009 Norway were 59th (exactly where Ireland are now) and reached a peak of 11th in May 2011 (almost perfectly in time for the WC draw).

It should be noted though that Norway managed this impressive climb by winning a *lot* of games over that period. They registered a competitive win against Portugal and friendly wins against France, Germany, Switzerland, Ukraine and even Ireland (back when that was actually worth something) among others.

Norway's w/d/l record over their ascent period was p23 w15 d3 l5. All this translates to points and places on the ladder.

Norway are clearly no longer doing whatever it was that got them to 11th in the first place, but at the time of the draw they were arguably well worth their place as a 1st seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

aramush wrote: »
    Switzerland, Iceland, Slovenia, Norway, Albania and Cyprus.. Still can't understand how those teams got into the same group, they're all average sides, anyone of them could have qualified. FIFA based seedings is a joke, well FIFA ranking in general is. How could Norway possibly be a first seed if they haven't qualified for a major tournament since 2000?

Its a pretty straightforward mathematical system.

I mean we were first seeds for the Euro 2004 qualifiers after qualifying for the 2002 world cup yet not qualifiying for anything previously for 8 years.

Its simply the luck of the draw for that group.

Massively impressed with Switzerland and Greece always managing to qualify for the major championships. It really goes to show what can be accomplished even with a lack of individual talents.

Swiss, by my reckoning have qualified for 2004, 2006, co-hosted 2008, qualified in 2010, and now 2014.

Greece is 2004, 2008, 2010, 2012.

Tuesday's Games

Africa
    Ghana 6 V 1 Egypt

North America
    Costa Rica 2 V 1 Mexico
    Jamaica 2 V 2 Honduras
    Panama 2 V 2 USA

South America
    Uruguay 3 V 2 Argentina
    Paraguay 1 V 2 Colombia
    Chile 2 V 1 Ecuador
    Peru 1 V 1 Bolivia

Europe
    Group A

Belgium 1 V 1 Wales
    Scotland 2 V 0 Croatia
    Serbia 5 V 1 Macedonia

Group B
    Bulgaria 0 V 1 Czech Republic
    Denmark 6 V 0 Malta
    Italy 2 V 2 Armenia

Group C
    Sweden 3 V 5 Germany
    Faroe Islands 0 V 3 Austria
    Republic of Ireland 3 V 1 Kazakhstan

Group D
    Hungary 2 V 0 Andorra
    Romania 2 V 0 Estonia
    Turkey 0 V 2 Holland

Group E
    Cyprus 0 V 0 Albania
    Norway 1 V 1 Iceland
    Switzerland 1 V 0 Slovenia

Group F
    Azerbaijan 1 V 1 Russia
    Israel 1 V 1 Northern Ireland
    Portugal 3 V 0 Luxembourg

Group G
    Greece 2 V 0 Liechtenstein
    Lithuania 0 V 1 Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Latvia 2 V 2 Slovakia

Group H
    England 2 V 0 Poland
    San Marino 0 V 8 Ukraine
    Montenegro 2 V 5 Moldova

Group I
    France 3 V 0 Finland
    Spain 2 V 0 Georgia

European Qualifiers
    Belgium
    Italy
    Germany
    Holland
    Switzerland
    Russia
    Bosnia
    England
    Spain

Playoffs
    Seeded
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Greece
    Sweden

Unseeded
    France
    Ukraine
    Romania
    Iceland

North American Qualifiers
    USA
    Costa Rica
    Honduras

South American Qualifiers
    Argentina
    Colombia
    Chile
    Ecuador

Inter-confed playoffs
    Jordan V Uruguay
    Mexico V New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

roanoke wrote: »
    [...]

Thanks for explaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is OT but Germanys U21 side is currently 1-2 against the Faroes!

Greece 45 minutes away from qualification, really need Lithuania to put 10 men behind the ball for the next 45 minutes and get a 0-0 from Bosnia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ghana 6-1 Egypt after the first leg of the playoff. Didn't expect it to be that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If anyone can, they should tune into Bosnia's game away to Lithuania. 0-0 with 25 mins to go, a win and they're through to their first ever World Cup. Game is getting hectic as Bosnia are starting to get flustered!!

EDIT: Just scored! 1-0 Bosnia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

FT. Lithuania 0 Bosnia-H 1, Greece 2 Liechtenstein 0. Bosnia through, Greece in playoffs.

Azerbaijan 1 Russia 1, Portugal 3 Luxembourg 0. Russia through, Portugal in PO's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Brilliant for Bosnia.

Silver lining for Greece is that they will be seeded in the play-offs. Tough pill to swallow if they don't qualify though as they won 8 out of 10 games, kept 8 clean sheets, and conceded only 4 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Wahey Iceland are through to the play offs.

• Advertisement

Barring England conceding that's everything done and dusted now isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Barring England conceding that's everything done and dusted now isn't it?
    Well if Georgia score twice against Spain then maybe France could top the group bit unlikely. Looks like Denmark are going to miss out on the play-offs a bit unfair though.

Well if Georgia score twice against Spain then maybe France could top the group bit unlikely. Looks like Denmark are going to miss out on the play-offs a bit unfair though.

So like I said, done and dusted :pac:

Looks like Denmark are going to miss out on the play-offs a bit unfair though.

It's bad luck but it's still a fair and decent way to determine the play-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You have to feel for Denmark, if it wasn't for the injury time goal they conceded last week, they'd be in the play-off's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Anyone know if the Argentina Uruguay game is on live later tonight?

I wonder if Chile and Ecuador will "agree" to a draw tonight, qualifying them both and consigning Uruguay to the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Bosnia for summer (world cup ) holiday !

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I wonder if Chile and Ecuador will "agree" to a draw tonight, qualifying them both and consigning Uruguay to the playoffs.

A dodgy deal in South America? Surely not!! ;)

DUBACC wrote: »
    A dodgy deal in South America? Surely not!! ;)

ramon_quiroga_mar06_emp_350.jpg

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Playoffs
    Seeded
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Greece
    Sweden

Unseeded
    France
    Ukraine
    Romania
    Iceland

I thinks this is wrong, Ukraines 2 victories this weekend should have moved them ahead of Sweden who'll drop to unseeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You have to feel for Denmark, if it wasn't for the injury time goal they conceded last week, they'd be in the play-off's now.

Very disappointed for them. Italy would be my main team to support after our own BIG, but have a soft spot for Denmark from way back. That equaliser from Aqualani didn't help, but I can't help but think Denmark's failure to beat Bulgaria home or away also contributed. The most glaring one though was the 4-0 loss in Copenhagen to Armenia. Now that was just bizarre.

On a non-footballing but related note, Danes are by far and away the soundest of the Scandinavian countries. So much warmer than Swedes or Norweigians.

Denmark were unlucky but spare a thought for Panama. With Mexico losing to Costa Rica 1-2, if Panama beat USA they would have beaten Mexico to the final play-off spot. They were winning 2-1 in the 91st minute........... lost 2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I feel sorry for Panama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How many people would feel sorry for us when we lost 1st place for Euro 2000 though ?

Feel bit sorry for them but still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I thinks this is wrong, Ukraines 2 victories this weekend should have moved them ahead of Sweden who'll drop to unseeded.

Ukraine scrape into the seeded pot by a single point.

Just going with what Sky had up

Sickener for Panama, but then they had 10 group games and only won 1. Mind you Mexico only won 2 and get a play off, but thats the nature of the CONCACAF group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Seeded
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Greece
    Ukraine

Unseeded
    France
    Sweden
    Romania
    Iceland

Apart from Iceland not much to chose between the 2 groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

That was very dramatic last night, Mexico were losing and Panama were booking their tickets for the New Zealand playoff. Then this happened:

The Mexican commentators really go off on their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seeded
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Greece
    Ukraine

Unseeded
    France
    Sweden
    Romania
    Iceland

Apart from Iceland not much to chose between the 2 groups.

Portugal / France
    Ukraine / Sweden
    Croatia / Iceland
    Greece / Romania

would make it the most fun I think. Basically the French tie will be the big one.

Sickener for Panama, but then they had 10 group games and only won 1. Mind you Mexico only won 2 and get a play off, but thats the nature of the CONCACAF group.

I'm hoping New Zealand can beat Mexico in the play-off. I guess on paper Mexico are the favorites, but with w2-d5-l3 over 10 games then can't be that hot.

If Mexico win the tie, I'd wager it's the first time a team had a losing record in a qualifying group and still qualified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Croatia and poland have both sacked their coaches, bit surprising to hear the croatian coach getting sacked seeing as they are in the play offs but did lose to scotland twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

klose wrote: »
    Croatia and poland have both sacked their coaches, bit surprising to hear the croatian coach getting sacked seeing as they are in the play offs but did lose to scotland twice.

He's been under pressure since he took the job, sounds like the expectations set were too high.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/international/243933-croatia-boss-igor-stimac-offers-to-resign-after-defeat-to-scotland/
    "It is a bad defeat. I offered my mandate (resignation) to the president of the Croatian football federation because of the latest results of our team, because everything that surrounds us.

"Never mind that we qualified for the play-offs, I want to show some morale, certain responsibility and if there is anyone in the federation that does not believe in my work I want to give them the chance to change.

"They will have a meeting to discuss it.

"It is all about the positiveness surrounding the football in our country.

"It seems we are not happy in Croatia to qualify for the play-offs.

"We were not happy after the first game even though we beat Macedonia, we were not happy in the second when we drew against Belgium or beating Wales 2-0, they said it was supposed to be 15-0.

"After Wales we went to Macedonia and beat them 2-1 and they said that was not good because they were on the up, we beat Serbia 2-0 and they said we barely survived and the goalkeeper saved us.

"We beat Wales 2-1 and they said we were lucky. That's how it works in Croatia.

"There were a lot of people against me from the beginning."

"I can only wish Mr Strachan all the luck."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

roanoke wrote: »
    I'm hoping New Zealand can beat Mexico in the play-off. I guess on paper Mexico are the favorites, but with w2-d5-l3 over 10 games then can't be that hot.

If Mexico win the tie, I'd wager it's the first time a team had a losing record in a qualifying group and still qualified?

Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_CONCACAF_Fourth_Round

For 2010, Africa decided to combine WC Qualification and African Cup of Nations Qualification. So South Africa had to participate in it and got knocked out in the second round of qualification but qualified for the WC anyway as the host country. :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

Advertisement