Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Qualification

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

The commentary on youtube for the Portugal v Sweden game has been something else. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Yarmolenko scores from the penalty spot, 2-0 to Ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

France are 2 nil down?

0382_s7tr.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

The commentary on youtube for the Portugal v Sweden game has been something else. :D

Ha yeah. Something tells me he's a fan of Portugal. I have it on another tab and during the first half he was screaming "Pepe" etc, I'd flick over and it'd just be some standard tackle in the centre of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That's Cristiano's 63rd goal in 2013, some man

Can't see Sweden beating Portugal now, were bad tonight

Koscielny has lost the plot, now sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Renn wrote: »
    Ha yeah. Something tells me he's a fan of Portugal. I have it on another tab and during the first half he was screaming "Pepe" etc, I'd flick over and it'd just be some standard tackle in the centre of the pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUa7DpPses&t=1m18s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Moneymaker wrote: »
    France are 2 nil down?

0382_s7tr.gif

Not sure if that's funny as a Newcastle fan Moneymaker! :pac: We would want our players having the extra motivation of a world cup squad place to play for this season!

Well done Ukraine. They'll tear France on the counter in the 2nd leg hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2 - 0 will be very tough for France - Ukraine are very well set up defensively although I think they will be missing a few in the 2nd leg. Koscielny won't feature after getting sent off for retaliation. He lost it after the sending off too and could face further sanction. Probably pissed for giving away the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not sure if that's funny as a Newcastle fan Moneymaker! :pac: We would want our players having the extra motivation of a world cup squad place to play for this season!

Meh, love to see them sent packing tbh. Karma is a wonderful thing.

And if they had a WC to get ready for, they'd spend the last 2 months ducking out of tackles incase they get injured or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Great win for Greece... How Mitroglu hasn't been snapped by a big European club is beyond me... Very highly rated can see him go on to bigger things..

Also a great result this is for Ireland's seeding for euro play off draw.. If I'm not mistaken I think Romania needed to win both legs to finish above us on the seeding..

P.S... Au Reviour Francais ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm shocked by the France result. They are in big trouble now. Have mixed feelings on it as I think the WC would be a poorer competition without the likes of Ribery on show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Iceland with 10 men held Croatia to a draw?? Fair ****ing play!! They could draw 1-1 now back in Croatia and still go through, I would love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tuesday potentially the last competitive game France play until June 2016, bleak prospect for them. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Great win for Greece... How Mitroglu hasn't been snapped by a big European club is beyond me... Very highly rated can see him go on to bigger things..

Is it just me or does that sound more a Romanian name than Greek? Liverpool were interested at one stage I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This weeks Plays off updated for friday night

13th November
    Mexico 5 V 1 New Zealand
    Jordan 0 V 5 Uruguay

15th Novermber
    Greece 3 V 1 Romania
    Portugal 1 V 0 Sweden
    Ukraine 2 V 0 France
    Iceland 0 V 0 Croatia

16th November
    Nigeria 2 V 0 Ethiopia (Agg 4-1) On BT Sport 2 @ 3pm Nigeria in the World Cup
    Senegal 1 V 1 Ivory Coast (Agg 2-4) On BT Sport 2 @ 7pm Ivoery Coast in the World Cup

17th November
    Cameroon 4 V 1 Tunisia (Agg 4-1) On BT Sport 1 @ 2pm Cameroon in the World Cup

19th November
    Egypt V Ghana (Agg 1-6) On BT Sport @ 4pm
    Algeria V Burkina Faso (Agg 2-3) On BT Sport @ 6:15pm
    Croatia V Iceland (Agg 0-0)
    Sweden V Portugal (Agg 0-1) On Sky Sports 1 @ 7:45pm
    France V Ukraine (Agg 0-2)
    Romania V Greece (Agg 1-3)

20th November
    New Zealand V Mexico (Agg 1-5) On Setanta / Premier sports @ 6am
    Uruguay V Jordan Agg (5-0) On LFC TV @ 11pm

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Meh, love to see them sent packing tbh. Karma is a wonderful thing.

TBH I'm long over the whole handball incident.

However if that story is true about Lloris whining about France losing play-off seeding this time around because they were a in five team group, then I'd have to say I've little sympathy for their current predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Weren't the French moaning about the seedings a few weeks back?

Anyway, that's some uphill battle now for them, but I have the strange feeling, they will turn the match around on Tuesday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm shocked by the France result. They are in big trouble now. Have mixed feelings on it as I think the WC would be a poorer competition without the likes of Ribery on show.
    I amn`t really they haven`t been in great form for a while(since Zidane retired tbh). Failed to get out of the group in 2008 & 2010 then scrapped through to the quarters and got comfortably beaten by Spain in 2012. Pity Ribery & Pogba won`t be there, not a lot else who i`d feel sorry for there off the top of my head

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    I amn`t really they haven`t been in great form for a while(since Zidane retired tbh). Failed to get out of the group in 2008 & 2010 then scrapped through to the quarters and got comfortably beaten by Spain in 2012. Pity Ribery & Pogba won`t be there, not a lot else who i`d feel sorry for there off the top of my head
    Might not be a bad thing. Plenty of talent coming through and it will be an opportunity to get a team together based on youth. France didn't qualify for the WC in '94 and 2 years later they made the semis at the Euros and then in 98 won the World Cup.

8-10 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does that sound more a Romanian name than Greek? Liverpool were interested at one stage I think

Nope, sounds more like a Turkish name to me? For example Emre Belozoglu or Tugay Kerimoglu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

GTR63 wrote: »

To be fair, they've been utter ****e since they won the Euros in 2000.

They had a brief flash in the pan when Zidane dragged their arses through to the final but that was out of nowhere really.

They must be one of the worst teams per capita and the most underachieving national sides over the past 10 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Gbear wrote: »
    They must be one of the worst teams per capita and the most underachieving national sides over the past 10 years.

England? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

England? :pac:

I covered my arse with "one of the".:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Delighted for France tbh, after 2009 and their moaning about this year's seeding. Also happy for Iceland, big chance going into 2nd leg. Portugal - Sweden is delicately poised, should be a great second leg. And as was said, Mitroglu is somebody who should be at a higher level than Olympiacos. Tuesday will be very interesting, potentially some excellent games in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Will the 4 away teams on Tuesday be brave enough to go for the goal that could well put them through ?

To be fair, they've been utter ****e since they won the Euros in 2000.

They had a brief flash in the pan when Zidane dragged their arses through to the final but that was out of nowhere really.

Along with England ? At least France managed a World Cup final in that period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Amazing that China qualified for the WC in 2002 and not only have they not managed to qualify since then (after all Korea and Japan weren't in the '02 qualifiers) but have failed to make the final round of Asian qualifiers in the 3 qualifying campaigns since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

No way I'd rule France out yet. As we seen 4 years ago, poor referring decision tend to favour the big teams in these matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

TaosHum wrote: »
    No way I'd rule France out yet. As we seen 4 years ago, poor referring decision tend to favour the big teams in these matches.

And d'ont forget their "penalty" in the playoff 2 years ago.

Ukraine should go for the goal that would settle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mike65 wrote: »
    Iceland v Croatia live stream

Enjoyed that. Fair play to Iceland, real gritty performance and the crowd were fantastic. Great support when Croatia had the ball and a huge cheer at the end. They probably get savaged in Croatia but you never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

African football must be a dreadful standard since Ethiopia got this far. They are woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

He already plays for a big European club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Charisteas wrote: »
    He already plays for a big European club!

I think, he grew up in Germany and played for Monchengladbach

1-0 at 75 for Senegal. This tie has suddenly become interesting if anyone feels like tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Been a decent enough game, Senegal do deserve to win this.

7 minutes to snatch the goal that sends them to Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Drogba up this old tricks, what a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That didn't happen. Zidane was only truly great in the quarterfinal against Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Been a decent enough game, Senegal do deserve to win this.

7 minutes to snatch the goal that sends them to Brazil.

Pity they didn`t, missed a sitter just before Ivory Coast got a hugely undeserved equalizer. Doubt i`d have them as even dark horses come next June, they only tried to coast through tonights game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus lads, how could you have been cheering against Drogba? One of the greatest strikers of all time. Will be great to see him finish off at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

TaosHum wrote: »
    I remember in that same game, they had a goal disallowed and Given could have been sent off for pulling down Anelka in a one-on-one and they would've had a peno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Croatia vs. Iceland is about to kick off. Live here on Youtube:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Iceland won't be no pushovers here...started off well so far

Com'on!!

Agreed. Don't want to tempt fate here but Iceland look quite comfortable in this game. They're on the backfoot but they definitely have a counter-attack goal in them by the look of it.

• Advertisement

33 : Croatia 1-0 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Some reception for Portugal.

Hope they wipe the floor with the Swedes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mandzukic sent off for Croatia :D

Iceland may have a chance. Horrendous and clumsy chalenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Greece still beating Romania ya??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Greece still beating Romania ya??

Ya half time now

• Advertisement
Advertisement