Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Qualification

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

batistuta9 wrote: »
    do you know anything more on it?

did they hack FIFA/personal accounts or what are they getting it from?

You would have a job hacking those accounts, there is so much money in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ebbsy wrote: »
    You would have a job hacking those accounts, there is so much money in them.

where's edward snowden when you need him? .......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

where's edward snowden when you need him? .......:pac:

Thing is Fifa d'ont even try to hide it, they just plough on regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Could have done so on several different accounts and predicted all potential permutations? Hard to know what the story is.

i might have the math wrong but i think to do that they would've needed to make another 383 twitter accounts :pac:

found this written about it too, key parts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/conspiracy-theory-2014-world-cup-groups-were-really-000909108--sow.html
    First, there's the matter of calming the angry host nation. In Group A, Brazil gets the underwhelming set of Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon. Maybe a few comfortable wins will get the locals to back off their widespread protests of the tournament and decide it's not so bad after all.

Second: Looking after your own. Switzerland, home to FIFA headquarters and Sepp Blatter's place of birth, goes in Group E with non-powerhouses Ecuador and Honduras. To keep Frenchman and UEFA president Michel Platini from threatening Blatter's carefully guarded perch atop an international organization that answers to no one, France can slide in here, as well.

Next on the agenda is squashing the most outspoken enemies of FIFA. Ever since Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup, there have been three countries making the most fuss over FIFA's cronyism and backroom deals: Australia and the United States, the two losing 2022 bids, and England, who themselves lost the 2018 bid to Russia. If they don't like the way World Cup hosting is decided, then they can suffer through torment in Brazil and learn to keep quiet.

For Australia, it's Group B with Spain, the Netherlands and Chile. For England, it's Group D with Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica, including a start in the Amazon jungle. For the USA, it's the tournament's most grueling travel schedule in Group G with Germany, who knocked them out of the 2002 World Cup quarterfinals on a handball at the goalline, Ghana, who knocked them out of the last two consecutive World Cups, and one spot left open for just a moment. Blatter wheezes with laughter.

Then there's personal favorites. After professing his adoration for "good boy" Lionel Messi, Argentina are given an easy ride in Group F with Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran and Nigeria. As for Cristiano Ronaldo, who made such a stink over Blatter's comments, he can go into that horrid Group G, giving Portugal a difficult path so Messi can be praised for going deeper into the tournament than that "commander" and his boys underwear line that doesn't come in Blatter's size. The ultimate discourtesy.

The final two groups are decided by a feather-clad showgirl after Blatter passes out from eating coins like breath mints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

i might have the math wrong but i think to do that they would've needed to make another 383 twitter accounts :pac:

To predict every possible permutation? I'd imagine it's a lot more but it does seem a bit far fetched now yeah :pac:

To predict every possible permutation? I'd imagine it's a lot more but it does seem a bit far fetched now yeah :pac:

No just for Argentina. They could've faced 22 teams, if that was a open draw you'd work it out by going 22 x 21 x 20 but since it's organised into groups i think you do it by going 6 x 8 x 8, giving 384

I stand to be corrected on the math like i said, the groups are throwing me on it

But yeah permutations get big very quickly. Even with knowing brasil were in group A to get the other 7 correct you'd need to do 7! Which is 5040 possible permutations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Math?

No just for Argentina. They could've faced 22 teams, if that was a open draw you'd work it out by going 22 x 21 x 20 but since it's organised into groups i think you do it by going 6 x 8 x 8, giving 384

I stand to be corrected on the math like i said, the groups are throwing me on it

But yeah permutations get big very quickly. Even with knowing brasil were in group A to get the other 7 correct you'd need to do 7! Which is 5040 possible permutations
    Ahh yes, I was also trying to factor in the tweet about Italy and how unlikely that was to predict as well and things got awfully confusing :pac:
    Math?

Back to bed you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nope, that's been brought forward to 23:00BST due to media pressure :rolleyes:

It did make sense to swap it over with the match which ended up getting that 2am slot.

That would have been messy otherwise. An England game (and one we'll probably lose at that) kicking off at 2am on a Saturday night on a day where there have already been three matches on TV. The Police in the UK probably wouldn't have enjoyed that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It did make sense to swap it over with the match which ended up getting that 2am slot.

That would have been messy otherwise. An England game (and one we'll probably lose at that) kicking off at 2am on a Saturday night on a day where there have already been three matches on TV. The Police in the UK probably wouldn't have enjoyed that. :D

And the Japanese fans will be quite happy that their game was swapped to the late KO so they'll have one of their matches at a reasonable time (2 in the afternoon) rather than 8am games.

So works out well for everyone timewise except Ivory Coast unfortunately.

Plus the increased heat from playing at 6pm local time instead of 9pm is a lovely little excuse for us when we lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Plus the increased heat from playing at 6pm local time instead of 9pm is a lovely little excuse for us when we lose.

You dont sound confident?

I think ye will nick second.

Considering group c is where yer 2nd round opponents will come from if ye do get out of group ye be hot favourites to get to QF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

http://soccerly.com/article/leigh/video-questions-fifas-credibility-over-draw
    Scandal after another have stained the image of football's governing body and now what many people have assumed for a long time has been evidenced by a video. The video analyzes the draw carefully and comes up with the conclusion that the group draw that took place in Costa de Sauipe was a manipulated show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

764dak wrote: »

Interesting theory but more evidence is required

Considering group c is where yer 2nd round opponents will come from if ye do get out of group ye be hot favourites to get to QF

Honestly, for all the talk back home about what a nightmare draw it is, it really could have been worse and yeah a quarter final place looks achievable. I'd say there are three teams in that group who can take points off of eachother. As for Costa Rica, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

story_17544_17544-xlarge.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The same Twitter account has predicted the Champions League draw as follows:

Man United v Milan
    PSG v Leverkusen
    Bayern v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Zenit
    Dortmund v Galatasaray
    Althletico Madrid v Olympiakos
    Barcelona v Man City
    Real Madrid v Schalke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Paully D wrote: »

Man United v Milan
    PSG v Leverkusen
    Bayern v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Zenit
    Dortmund v Galatasaray
    Barcelona v Man City
    Real Madrid v Schalke

No...please no :(

Anyway, can a team get a team, they played already in the group stages...as in BVB vs Arsenal, or Munich vs Man City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Lars1916 wrote: »
    No...please no :(

Anyway, can a team get a team, they played already in the group stages...as in BVB vs Arsenal, or Munich vs Man City?

Nope, you can't draw a team either from the same country or from the group you just qualified from.

So for instance Dortmund are limited to just 5 possible teams : Galatasaray , Olympiacos , Manchester City , Zenit Saint Petersburg , Milan

Man United v Milan
    PSG v Leverkusen
    Bayern v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Zenit
    Dortmund v Galatasaray
    Barcelona v Man City
    Real Madrid v Schalke

Link?

Surely if they released that so far away from the draw, the draw could just be re-manipulated so as to avoid any suspicion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Link?

Surely if they released that so far away from the draw, the draw could just be re-manipulated so as to avoid any suspicion?

The Twitter account has been suspended mate. Aye, I agree. I'd be astonished if that is the actual draw. There would be some great ties mind.

Link?

Yeah it was silly to do it so far out.

Yeah it was silly to do it so far out.

Be brilliant if it rings true

The Twitter account has been suspended mate. Aye, I agree. I'd be astonished if that is the actual draw. There would be some great ties mind.

were the tweets removed?

that twitter account is still up but hasn't tweeted since the 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Man United v Milan
    PSG v Leverkusen
    Bayern v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Zenit
    Dortmund v Galatasaray
    Barcelona v Man City
    Real Madrid v Schalke

4/8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8 Weeks today until the big kick off, with Brazil V Croatia

Advertisement