Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Qualification

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kazakstan and Faroes away double header in September next year please. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Fixtures announced:

September 7, 2012

Kazakhstan v Republic of Ireland

October 12, 2012

Republic of Ireland v Germany

October 16, 2012
    Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland

March 22, 2013

Sweden v Republic of Ireland

March 26, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Austria

June 7, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Faroe Islands

September 6, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Sweden

September 10, 2013

Austria v Republic of Ireland

October 11, 2013

Germany v Republic of Ireland

October 15, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Kazakhstan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

We could realistically have 7 points before the year is out. That would be a great start to the group.

Its always good to start well, and try to maintain it, rather than succumbing to a few defeats and trying to make up the ground.

Kazakhstan 1st and last games in brilliant. Should be a fairly easy 6 points, so we get a decent start, and then if we need 3 points its the perfect finish.

Not a bad fixture draw at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fixtures announced:

September 7, 2012

Kazakhstan v Republic of Ireland

October 12, 2012

Republic of Ireland v Germany

October 16, 2012
    Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland

March 22, 2013

Sweden v Republic of Ireland

March 26, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Austria

June 7, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Faroe Islands

September 6, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Sweden

September 10, 2013

Austria v Republic of Ireland

October 11, 2013

Germany v Republic of Ireland

October 15, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Kazakhstan

In before the 'John Delaney is a dink for agreeing to play in Kazakhstan on 07/09/12 cos I have to go to my Nan's 100th birthday party that day' comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Fixtures announced:

September 7, 2012
    Kazakhstan v Republic of Ireland - 3 Points

October 12, 2012
    Republic of Ireland v Germany - 1 Point

October 16, 2012
    Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland - 3 Points

March 22, 2013
    Sweden v Republic of Ireland - 1 Point

March 26, 2013
    Republic of Ireland v Austria - 3 Points

June 7, 2013
    Republic of Ireland v Faroe Islands - 3 Points

September 6, 2013
    Republic of Ireland v Sweden - 3 Points

September 10, 2013
    Austria v Republic of Ireland - 3 Points

October 11, 2013
    Germany v Republic of Ireland - 0 Points

October 15, 2013
    Republic of Ireland v Kazakhstan - 3 Points

Total = 23 Points

What I'm hoping for ^^ and to finish 2nd behind Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Germany away near the end of the group. We'd better have already done what needs to be done by then as I can't see them doing us any favours.

All in all it's a hard group. Can't see us making it out of it unless Sweden 'do a Netherlands'. I'd suggest people doubly enjoy Euro2012 at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Germany could have already qualified by the time we play them away. So that might not be a bad time to play them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

yom 1 wrote: »
    Germany could have already qualified by the time we play them away. So that might not be a bad time to play them

They had qualified for Euro 2012 early and still went on to play with a full strength team to win the remaining games. Can't see them doing anyone any favors, not even when they are through... that's just not their mentality.

I think it will be very tough to qualify, but not impossible. The games against Sweden are the key. I think they are a better team then they get credit for, which they showed with a strong performance in the Euro qualifiers (including a win in the Netherlands).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The home against Sweden could well decide who finishes 2nd behind Germany. That for me will be our biggest game in terms of whats at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

gavredking wrote: »
    The home against Sweden could well decide who finishes 2nd behind Germany. That for me will be our biggest game in terms of whats at stake.

Not losing twice to Germany s equally important. We can certainly get a draw out of one of the matches, and I'd be looking for us to beat Sweden twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In before the 'John Delaney is a dink for agreeing to play in Kazakhstan on 07/09/12 cos I have to go to my Nan's 100th birthday party that day' comment.

Wtf? :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I would not take beating Austria home or away as a given.

We have screwed up against them before (1995) and by all accounts they are on the upswing

We have screwed up against them before (1995) and by all accounts they are on the upswing

If Trapp keeps the team away from the chipper they should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

cant see us getting three points in Austria. Beating Sweden twice is a huge ask for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

yom 1 wrote: »

Im just glad the world ends in December 2012. I wouldnt have fancied us over in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

cant see us getting three points in Austria. Beating Sweden twice is a huge ask for us.

Is Tony Polster still playing for Austria, cause if he is or comes back from international retirement we're fuc*ked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

DubDani wrote: »
    They had qualified for Euro 2012 early and still went on to play with a full strength team to win the remaining games. Can't see them doing anyone any favors, not even when they are through... that's just not their mentality.

I think it will be very tough to qualify, but not impossible. The games against Sweden are the key. I think they are a better team then they get credit for, which they showed with a strong performance in the Euro qualifiers (including a win in the Netherlands).
    For Euro 2008 qualifiers when they were in our group, I recall them sending out a weak team in Dublin towards the end of the group after they had qualified. They also sent out weak teams in final few games so much so that they didn't end up topping the group!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

They ain't as good as Armenia, who we struggled, but ultimately prevailed, against.

If we win the head to head against Sweden (score draw there, 0-0 here) we should be set for the playoffs. I think for the moment, we can forget winning the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Stacksey wrote: »
    Is Tony Polster still playing for Austria, cause if he is or comes back from international retirement we're fuc*ked

Doubt if Austria are desperate enough to need a 48 year old playing for them.

• Advertisement

Just edited the Wikipedia page for our group there, and noticed that Germany's last 2 games are at home to us and away to Sweden. It's unlikely that they'll be qualified already still needing to play both of their biggest rivals.

Also, the last matchday is therefore Ireland against Kazakhstan and Sweden against Germany. If we can be within a point of Sweden going into that, we have a chance at second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Would people genuinely rate us much better than Sweden? IMO they are the one of the toughest second seeds we've had in a long time. Also I think 0 points is likely against Germany over 2 matches with a max of 1.
    It all comes dome to doing what we did this campaign and taking 3 points against each of the lower seeded teams. We took 18 points from these alone, which made up for some poor results against Slovakia.

We're already stretching ourselves to get where we are and even with that I'd rate us comfortably 3rd seeds among this company. I don't even rate us on a par with Sweden or close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Cian A wrote: »
    Would people genuinely rate us much better than Sweden? IMO they are the one of the toughest second seeds we've had in a long time. Also I think 0 points is likely against Germany over 2 matches with a max of 1.
    I'd be happy enough with two points from Sweden. More would be great but realistically our aim should be two draws. One point from Germany would be good too but we'd then be relying on Germany and/or Sweden to drop points against the other teams. Austria will be tough as well so I dont think we'll get six there either, likely four. Going to be tough to qualify.

The draw started out great but quickly turned bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think its a really tough group tbh. But then I thought the last group was too with Slovakia coming off a World Cup finals having beaten Italy, and they turned out very ordinary.

Very hard to predict how these things turn out with the first game almost a year away. Never been to Kazahkstan, wonder will Borat sing their national anthem :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We stood no chance of beating Russia so can't hold out much hope even drawing with Germany. All about the Sweden and Austria games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Recent Oceania First Round Qualification Games

American Samoa 2 Tonga 1

Cook Islands 2 Samoa 3

American Samoa 1 Cook Islands 1

Samoa 1 Tonga 1

Tonga 2 Cook Islands 1

Samoa 1 American Samoa 0

Samoa Advance to next round http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/oceania/standings/index.html

Samoa Goes into the following group

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/oceania/standings/round2.html

And heres some of the simply amazing action from the qualifiers. (Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in the last world cup qualifiers for 2010)

And heres some of the simply amazing action from the qualifiers. (Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in the last world cup qualifiers for 2010)

That was for the 2002 WC, actually.

AS came in to the tournament with a 0-0-30 record, and went 1-1-1.

I think this is a prime example of why we need preliminaries in Europe. Give San Marino/Andorra/Malta etc. realistic targets to aim for.

(Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in the last world cup qualifiers for 2010)

tolosenc wrote: »

Thanks. Got my WCs mixed up there. THe Aussies dont even play in Oceania anymore.

I think this is a prime example of why we need preliminaries in Europe. Give San Marino/Andorra/Malta etc. realistic targets to aim for.

If they make it beyond prelims they will have played a lot of games by the end of it all.

dsmythy wrote: »
    If they make it beyond prelims they will have played a lot of games by the end of it all.

Not really.

No idea how qualification for France 2016 is going to work, but in terms of Russia 2018, we'll have, presumably, 13 teams from Europe (12 + Russia) and 52 countries foing for them. Cut that down to 48 and we have 8 groups of 6 for the main qualification. 8 group winners and 4 playoff winners qualifying. Nice and easy. It'd mean Cyprus, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Malta, Andorra and San Marino pariticipating. 2 from the first 4, 2 from the second four in each group, play each other once in a neutral venue over a weekend or two. They'd play 3 matches in the summer before qualification proper begins, and realistically aren't going to make the playoffs, so only 1 more match in a similar time span to a team like Ireland who will be in the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Not really.

No idea how qualification for France 2016 is going to work, but in terms of Russia 2018, we'll have, presumably, 13 teams from Europe (12 + Russia) and 52 countries foing for them. Cut that down to 48 and we have 8 groups of 6 for the main qualification. 8 group winners and 4 playoff winners qualifying. Nice and easy. It'd mean Cyprus, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Malta, Andorra and San Marino pariticipating. 2 from the first 4, 2 from the second four in each group, play each other once in a neutral venue over a weekend or two. They'd play 3 matches in the summer before qualification proper begins, and realistically aren't going to make the playoffs, so only 1 more match in a similar time span to a team like Ireland who will be in the playoffs.

I've seen Platini's thoughts on 2016 qualifying. Rather than prelims it's the bigger teams playing less games than everyone else. I take your point on it not being too many games for them in your idea but it would mean the losers in the prelims will have little involvement in competitive football each year.

I've seen Platini's thoughts on 2016 qualifying. Rather than prelims it's the bigger teams playing less games than everyone else. I take your point on it not being too many games for them in your idea but it would mean the losers in the prelims will have little involvement in competitive football each year.

It's not the best situation, but what good does San Marino losing by 5+ goals 10 times do anyone?

Platini's 13 groups of 4 as an initial phase idea?

It's not the best situation, but what good does San Marino losing by 5+ goals 10 times do anyone?

Platini's 13 groups of 4 as an initial phase idea?

I guess it depends on personal football philosophy. To me the World Cup should be about the tiniest of outfits taking on world powers at times. Cup "magic" etc. Some of the minnows have been showing improvement recently too. But each to their own on this I guess.

And yes I think that's the idea I saw. It's still sinking in so I'm currently unsure of my thoughts on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not really.

I'd expect it to be 14; the last 3 hosts, Germany, South Africa and Brazil have been given a place in addition to their confederations usual allocation. So theres clearly a floating place available for the hosts.

Doesn't change the overall gist of your post though.

Saudia Arabias 4-2 defeat in Melbourne sees them become probably the highest profile elimination so far, Oman qualify along with the Aussies from that group into the next stage of AFC qualifying.

South Korea get their needed result at home to Kuwait and progress from their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Trampas

Former England manager Peter Taylor guided Bahrain to a 10-0 trashing of Indonesia in a Asian World Cup qualifier match. Bahrain went into the game needing to reverse a goal difference deficit of nine in order to progress to the next stage of the competition.

Who said bribery and corruption were dead

Trampas wrote: »
    Former England manager Peter Taylor guided Bahrain to a 10-0 trashing of Indonesia in a Asian World Cup qualifier match. Bahrain went into the game needing to reverse a goal difference deficit of nine in order to progress to the next stage of the competition.

Who said bribery and corruption were dead

Bahrain were still knocked out though, as Qatars 86th minute equaliser in Tehran saw them finish a point ahead of Bahrain in second place.
    Bahrain bribe busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I guess it depends on personal football philosophy. To me the World Cup should be about the tiniest of outfits taking on world powers at times. Cup "magic" etc. Some of the minnows have been showing improvement recently too. But each to their own on this I guess.

And yes I think that's the idea I saw. It's still sinking in so I'm currently unsure of my thoughts on it.

sorry to reply very late to a post, but a quick point with regards to your thoughts on the philosophy of the world. It's only in Europe that the smallest nations take on big teams in qualifying. In every other zone (with the exception of S.America, but they dont have any minnows in the way that we do) there are a myriad of preliminary rounds to get through before a small nation can reach the level that the European minnow just coasts into for every qualifying campaign.

why not have a preliminary round for these smaller nations in Europe, not just because it lessens the fixture lists for the big nation, but these countries will be able to taste success outside of scoring a solitary goal in an 8-1 drubbing. If San Marino win a preliminary tournament perhaps that success will inspire the younger generation!

If San Marino win a preliminary tournament perhaps that success will inspire the younger generation!

I mean How? San Miro is tiny somewhere in the region of Navan or Bray its never going to achieve anything so I agree with dsmythy and his point.

Ireland is a small country too relatively speaking so I would have thought we would have been on the side of the small guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

well thats exactly the point. they put a good run of form together and win a tournament even if its just a preliminary one. That's achieving something at least.

comparing Ireland's team to san marino, liechtenstein and andorra? Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

:) Just thought i would bump this thread since European team start Qualification today

Story so far

Asia - Teams started 43, teams that are left 10. Some teams out include China, North Korea and Saudi Arabia
    Africa - Teams started 52, teams that are left 40.
    North America - Teams started 32, teams that are left 12. Trinidad and Tobago are out here
    South America - Teams started 9, teams left 9
    Oceania - Teams started 11, teams left 4
    Europe - Teams starting 53

Not including Brazil a total of 203 teams have entered qualification and 128 remain fighting for 31 spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mactch day Sept 7th and 8th Results fixtures

Oceania Qualification Results
    Soloman Islands 2 V 0 Tahiti
    New Caledonia 0 V 2 New Zealand

European Fixtures
    Iceland V Norway
    Russia V Northern Ireland
    Liechtenstein V Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Wales V Belgium
    Malta V Armenia
    Croatia V FYR Macedonia
    Andorra V Hungary
    Netherlands V Turkey
    Slovenia V Switzerland
    Albania V Cyprus
    Montenegro V Poland
    Germany V Faroe Islands
    Luxembourg V Portugal
    Estonia V Romania
    Azerbaijan V Israel
    Georgia V Belarus
    Lithuania V Slovakia
    Latvia V Greece
    Finland V France
    Bulgaria V Italy
    Moldova V England
    Kazakhstan V Republic of Ireland
    Scotland V Serbia
    Denmark V Czech Republic

North American and Carribbean Fixtures
    Cuba V Honduras
    Jamaica VUSA
    El Salvador V Guyana
    Canada V Panama
    Guatemala V Antigua and Barbuda
    Costa Rica V Mexico

South American Fixtures
    Colombia V Uruguay
    Ecuador V Bolivia
    Argentina V Paraguay
    Peru V Venezuela

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Seems a bit odd that so many teams have been eliminated already around the world with the European groups not having even started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Northern Ireland showing much more attacking ambition against Russia than us with inferior players... giving a good account of themselves. They'll probably still lose like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

1-0 to Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kazakhstan 1 - 2 Ireland Republic
    Russia 2 - 0 Northern Ireland
    Azerbaijan 1 - 1 Israel

Moldova v England on ITV

Hart, Johnson, Baines, Gerrard, Lescott, Terry, Milner, Lampard, Defoe, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Hart
    Johnson-Terry-Lescott-Baines
    Oxtail-Gerrard-Lampard-Milner
    Cleverly-Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Luxembourg 1 up on Portugal :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

wales down to 10 men, straight red for collins

Advertisement