Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Qualification

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Germany 1:0 up. Mario Goetze scores :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

:) Just thought i would bump this thread since European team start Qualification today

Cheers bud, delighted that this thread is still going strong. Let's keep it going until 2014 :D

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Germany 1:0 up. Mario Goetze scores :D

Shocked that it's only 1-0 after 30 minutes, expecting Germany to hit at least 5. On the other hand, Faroes are much improved since 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I reckon Germany could be under-estimating them. They got a few walk overs last time out so probably expected the same this time around so havent gone at it like they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

belgium 1 up v wales, brilliant header by kompany, team is full of house hold names!

• Advertisement

Anyone fancy Belgium's chances to qualify this time?

They are in a tough group with Croatia, Serbia, Scotland, Macedonia, and Wales, and haven't qualified for the last five tournaments.

But they seem to have a decent young squad now with the likes of Van Buyten, Hazard, Vermaelan, Kompany, Vertongan and Dembele the two new Spurs players, Witsel, Fellaini, and Miralles the new Everton guy who looked great on his debut (albiet against Orient), and Courtis the Atletico Madrid goalie.

And with the exception of Van Buyten, they're all between 21-25. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You say that like you have only just spotted that Belgium are a team full of talent!

Easily their best squad since the mid 80s.

belgium 1 up v wales, brilliant header by kompany, team is full of house hold names!

We must have come to the same conclusion about this Belgium team. And with the average age of the team, they got a promising few years ahead of them.

They'll probably go on to lose 1-2 to wales now :pac:

Charisteas wrote: »
    Shocked that it's only 1-0 after 30 minutes, expecting Germany to hit at least 5. On the other hand, Faroes are much improved since 10 years ago.

1:0 at half time. Apparently, the Faeroe goalie with the match of his life

mike65 wrote: »
    You say that like you have only just spotted that Belgium are a team full of talent!

Well they have been off the radar for 10 years.

• Advertisement

1:0 at half time. Apparently, the Faeroe goalie with the match of his life

Is that the Manchester City goalie? Forget his name, Nelson is it?

Is that the Manchester City goalie? Forget his name, Nelson is it?

G.Nielsen. Heard he is 42 years of age, but don't know, if he plays for City ;)

Just checked up on it, Faroes have Gunner Neilsen who is playing tonight (plays for Man City) and 42 year old Mikkelsen on the bench.

Podolski on the bench for Germany, that's good for Arsenal keep him fresh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Luxembourg are drawing 1-1 at home to Portugal going into the second half :eek:

Just checked up on it, Faroes have Gunner Neilsen who is playing tonight (plays for Man City) and 42 year old Mikkelsen on the bench.

Podolski on the bench for Germany, that's good for Arsenal keep him fresh :)

Sport1.de don't even mention Podolski :D

2:0 Germany, scored by Ozil :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Anyone fancy Belgium's chances to qualify this time?

They are in a tough group with Croatia, Serbia, Scotland, Macedonia, and Wales, and haven't qualified for the last five tournaments.

But they seem to have a decent young squad now with the likes of Van Buyten, Hazard, Vermaelan, Kompany, Vertongan and Dembele the two new Spurs players, Witsel, Fellaini, and Miralles the new Everton guy who looked great on his debut (albiet against Orient), and Courtis the Atletico Madrid goalie.

And with the exception of Van Buyten, they're all between 21-25. Worth keeping an eye on.

Probably one of the best 1st 11 team around right now. I dont know how deep their squad goes, but they should easily qualify from that group. Trick is getting them all to play together. I havent seen them play before but on paper its some team.

Dammit Portugal just went 2-1 up.

Greece winning 2-1 but may have a fight with Bosnia to win that group.

Ozil on target again. 3:0 Germany :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

2 hat tricks and a brace as Bosnia beat Liechtenstein 8-1

• Advertisement

Now watch, Arsenal. Podolski on as a substitute. Strange, he was not in the Sport1 line up :D

Anyone wrote: »
    but they should easily qualify from that group.

I wouldn't say it will be easy because Croatia are also a very good team and Serbia may cause problems too.

Only the group winners qualify, the 8 best 'second place' teams get a play-off spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

but they should easily qualify from that group.

I wouldn't say it will be easy because Croatia are also a very good team and Serbia may cause problems too.

Only the group winners qualify, the 8 best 'second place' teams get a play-off spot.
    I think Belgium have a job on their hands to go through. Having a group of good players doesnt necessarily mean theyll gel into a good team. Theyve gone very quickly from talented dark horses to a bit overhyped IMO.

Falcao is on fire, hat-trick against Chelsea last week, just scored for Colombia now.

3:0 Germany in the end. The 500th win in a competitive match, according to Sport1.de :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

3:0 Germany in the end. The 500th win in a competitive match, according to Sport1.de :)

That number seems very high to me. If you all all their WC and EC games you only get around 200 wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Probably one of the best 1st 11 team around right now. I dont know how deep their squad goes, but they should easily qualify from that group. Trick is getting them all to play together. I havent seen them play before but on paper its some team.

They didn't manage to make the Euros.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    That number seems very high to me. If you all all their WC and EC games you only get around 200 wins.

You're right there. I checked again, 500 including friendlies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Some finish from Narsingh in that Holland - Turkey game!

• Advertisement

Lars I assume you're German, why are Germany playing all their homes games in different stadiums?

The only reason I can think of is that it gives a chance for Germans in every major city to see the team play, but I would have thought that it's an advantage for a team to have a 'home' stadium, familiar surroundings if you will (which I know sounds hypocritical because Germany always qualify).

Absolutely loved the Olympic Stadium in Berlin when I visited recently.

Apart from the draw between Bulgaria and Italy no big surprises, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

wales down to 10 men, straight red for collins

He should never play for us again. Darcy Blake is the way forward...

Lars I assume you're German, why are Germany playing all their homes games in different stadiums?

The only reason I can think of is that it gives a chance for Germans in every major city to see the team play, but I would have thought that it's an advantage for a team to have a 'home' stadium, familiar surroundings if you will (which I know sounds hypocritical because Germany always qualify).

Absolutely loved the Olympic Stadium in Berlin when I visited recently.

I am German indeed ;)

I don't remember the German FA ever thinking about a 'National Stadium', but why? Maybe it is because of the fact, that every part of the country should get a fair slice of the cake, when it comes to see the national team.

Berlin though host the cup final every year since 1985 ;)

But did you ever visit Dortmund? The Westfalenstadion (forget about fancy new names) is much more impressive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Personally I think Scotland will be a tougher challenge than Serbia. As I said, I think they will qualify, and with a bit in hand.
    dsmythy wrote: »

Whats that supposed to show, we made the Euros, does that make us a top team? Euro qualifiers are over the previous 2 years, that Belgian team are all two years older and more experience. I think they will turn into a very very good side, top 3 or 4 in Europe at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Apart from the draw between Bulgaria and Italy no big surprises, imo

There were a few others here and there; Iceland beat Norway 2-0 and Lithuania drew 1-1 with Slovakia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Belgium fans at the Wales match tonight!!

biwdgf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Belgium fans at the Wales match tonight!!

That's class, really heartwarming to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Personally I think Scotland will be a tougher challenge than Serbia. As I said, I think they will qualify, and with a bit in hand.
    dsmythy wrote: »

Whats that supposed to show, we made the Euros, does that make us a top team? Euro qualifiers are over the previous 2 years, that Belgian team are all two years older and more experience. I think they will turn into a very very good side, top 3 or 4 in Europe at least.
    Top 3 or 4 in Europe indeed! Maybe we should hold off on the plaudits till they actually make a major finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't remember the German FA ever thinking about a 'National Stadium', but why? Maybe it is because of the fact, that every part of the country should get a fair slice of the cake, when it comes to see the national team.

I always thought when England were on their travels during the Wemberly rebuild it was much more atmospheric even if the grounds only held half as many punters, bar OT which is why it got the Lions share of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Columbia 4 Uruguay 0 in South American qualifying must be the 'shock of the day' result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Columbia 4 Uruguay 0 in South American qualifying must be the 'shock of the day' result.
    Bloody hell! I was thinking of putting Uruguay in my accumulator bet but opted not to. They had 3 wins and 2 draws before today. Saw them hammer Chile a few months back. Really surprised at this result. Colombia are handy but with Cavani, Suarez, Forlan, Gargano, Ramirez, etc you really would have expected Uruguay to have too much for them.

Disappointing result for Italy. They should have closed out the game when 2-1 up. That Bulgarian team is poor and it's a bad two points dropped.

Winning (or even drawing) away from home in South American qualification seems to be a rare occurrence. So far in 29 games, there have been 19 home wins, 5 draws, 5 away wins.

Is there any reason why Scotland always play their home games on Saturday afternoons when everyone else plays Friday nights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is there any reason why Scotland always play their home games on Saturday afternoons when everyone else plays Friday nights?

Sky needing its fix of weekend football ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The US got beaten last night 2-1 in Jamaica despite Dempsey scoring in the first minute. No doubt they'll still get through to the final round.

Good result for Canada, beating Panama 2-1. They're one of those countries, like China, who really should be doing better down the years. They're well placed to make the final round now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't forget you get shock results in South America when teams have to play in altitude like Uruguay did last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't forget you get shock results in South America when teams have to play in altitude like Uruguay did last night

You sure, wiki has the game down as being played in the Northern sea port of Barranquilla so the altitude should be close to zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Alan Hutton with a typically robust challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

The US got beaten last night 2-1 in Jamaica despite Dempsey scoring in the first minute. No doubt they'll still get through to the final round.

Good result for Canada, beating Panama 2-1. They're one of those countries, like China, who really should be doing better down the years. They're well placed to make the final round now.

Their youth system is really good, the kind we should be trying to model imo. I expect them to start producing good players within the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just finished watching Scotland 0-0 Serbia.

Rousing stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement