Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 bed in Mayo €45k wt 2 acres...too good to be true?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Was just on donedeal..... this property has had over 850 hits....seems affordable! has anybody seen anythin cheaper or is this price range now common around the west?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/houses/2242092

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

A small dilapidated house in the middle of nowhere is supposed to be affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're paying for the land and the site

Probably easier to pull that house down and start again then try to renovate it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it has esb water and sanitation, which would cost half the asking price to iiiget up and running, another 25k and you would be finished, as it has a roof and 4 walls,

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I'd pass unless you like living in the middle of nowhere - It might be OK if your were a writer or something where you might like the isolation but then again broadband may be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

flutered wrote: »
    it has a roof and 4 walls,

...so has my shed, but i wouldn't want to put my family into it.

I cant see anyone buying that to spend money on it to live in. You could only knock it and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

these brickpiles on a plot of land are virtually worthless.
    nobody wants to live in the a.hole of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Consider: Is the land (site) woth that price? IMHO I think that land for building is still well overpriced these days; and always has been, especially in the boom time when so many people wanted to build their "dream" home - now many of those dreams have been shattered through being overmortaged and now negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ms horatio

If you want to live in a peaceful quite area,and have the cash to properly insulate,renovate and redecorate this house plus be prepared to travel by car to shop for the basics,as well as drive the kids to school(it's probably miles from the bus route)then this is a good bet.If you're a city person who thinks it's a little bit of heaven and CHEAP,then I wouldn't want to burst your bubble-but you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Has potential plus 65k option not bad when you have your 45k and 10k added on good deal i think should by 2 cows and 6hens. have small farm and dont forget the dog. has to be a sheep dog. yup id buy that place directly after Ireland leaves da EU. not much different from home. Just its free now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Looks ok to me. Grandfathers house was something along those lines. Big bigger but in the middle of nowhere. It's class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

seanybiker wrote: »
    Looks ok to me. Grandfathers house was something along those lines. Big bigger but in the middle of nowhere. It's class.

Agree. I love " in the middle of nowhere " houses. I would even buy one now, if not misses... She does not like old cottages, she likes it to be more modern and closer to work ... Damn woman...

Amyway property I checked was 65k for lovely cottage that needs few interrior things done so you can live in it. 1 acre of land. Wasn't even that far from civilisation. 2 milled from castletown roach in cork.

45k looks okay, thought no pics of inside. It might be just bare Walls and Woden windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

From my experience, if there are no photos of the inside it is because it is in a right state. So assume the worst there.

Also, you would need to check the land quality before even thinking about putting any livestock on it. Sheep can survive on pretty poor land and poor land can be improved.

But the property could have potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

for that I'd want the jeep too at least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

francie82 wrote: »
    Was just on donedeal..... this property has had over 850 hits....seems affordable! has anybody seen anythin cheaper or is this price range now common around the west?

Who the feck did the photos, it looks like it was done by poor wedding photographer. :mad:
    alb wrote: »
    A small dilapidated house in the middle of nowhere is supposed to be affordable.

Trust me that is not in the middle of nowhere in comparison to most places in the West.
    You are quiet close to one of the most cosmopolitan towns in Ireland, Ballyhaunis. :D
    The place that had the first purpose built mosque inthe country.

You are nearer and closer to a nice International airport than most people in Dublin.
    it has esb water and sanitation, which would cost half the asking price to iiiget up and running, another 25k and you would be finished, as it has a roof and 4 walls,

Good luck with 25k.
    That hosue has probably got walls as thick as those in a castle and they are a dampness magnet.
    Added to that looking at the house it could even be as old as having a flagged floor with concrete dumped on top.
    Either way the floor is another dampness nightmare.

Radon is also an issue in the west.
    As regards sanitation, if you went for planning the County Council could force the installation of a new septic system.
    The water could be private well, which would need testing or it could be group water scheme.

The windows might need replacing, can't see if they are old wooden ones.
    I would bet they are wooden single pane.

Looking at the drive in, that house looks like it hasn;t had much traffic into it, the grass has grown up over the road.
    It could have been an older person who had moved to nursing home, died and this could be executor sale.
    That means there have been no fire etc so it could be in rag order inside.

Sad to say best thing you could do with it is take a Komatsu to it and start again.
    Regarding the land, suffice to say it probably isn't suitable for growing wheat but it might not be bad.
    Would need to check that it isn't a swamp as there are couple of lakes in that area.
    Agricultural land could be worth upto 7,8 or even 10k depending on demand.
    Think of "The Field".

So ask yourself this, is 45k for a 2 acre site in Mayo, with house I probably need to demolish but giving better chance of getting planning and with water and ESB connection good value ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i still recon it is not that bad j mayo, the dampness in walls is now an easy fix, if its a private well a filtre will do the job a flagged floor is a godsend it be repaired easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

i still recon it is not that bad j mayo, the dampness in walls is now an easy fix, if its a private well a filtre will do the job a flagged floor is a godsend it be repaired easily.

I guess I am just speaking from experience where house was renovated nearly thirty years ago and no real damp proofing done.
    ionce hosue not heated and ventillated well and continously the damp just becomes huge problem.

What would you do with the walls ?

I know filter would do job, but would you have to have water tests carried out if new planning was attempted to build extension, etc?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

It looks like one of those in the Bunratty Castle Folk Park.
    Demolish and build a passive house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I think the idea behind selling that is that you can demolish and build. Because there's an existing property, you are more likely to get planning permission.

Personally, I know people who live in a cottage like that (elderly). Wouldn't touch the thing with a 10 foot pole. No central heating, no broadband, pipes freeze in winter, only a fireplace to keep it warm, and that only heats the central room. Brings a new meaning to the word damp and has quite cramped living conditions. That looks like something along the same lines. I know some people like that kind of thing, but why on earth would you want to live in that when you can have a nice warm modern house, with hot water and internet access??!!!!! (well mostly the hot water and radiators). I've been in the aforesaid cottage in the depths of the last 2 winters and it was like regressing about 40 years (and I wasn't alive then).

As regards the price, it's not bad. I know there are people out there who thing it's still too much, but you have to think in terms of the fact that you have to pay something for a property and site, no matter where it is in the country.Given that you're getting 2 acres of land, it's not bad - although I know the land in Mayo isn't good for much, farming-wise. You'd really have to compare it against prices in the area though, to get a good feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

This will definitely require more than a lick of paint and some cute curtains. We went to see a similar vintage house 2 years ago. Be aware that the walls are probably mass concrete, not block built. There's probably a very low ceilinged upstairs if it's a 3-bed, with the stairs going up from the living room and the second upstairs bedroom being accessed by walking through the first. The interior will probably be damp with high risk of rot in all the supporting woodwork. It'll be an old range cooker for heating, potentially no rads at all. The roof will also need redoing, although you'd at least be able to salvage the slates to save costs. The one we saw would definitely have needed to be knocked and rebuilt from scratch. The attraction was getting planning permission for the original footprint of the cottage + the outbuildings to make a much bigger house but in keeping with the cottage style. Too much work for us, plus the deluded owner was looking for 200k for the shack and one acre. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the land though - it looks like it was a proper working farm complete with the remains of hay barn & outbuildings, so raising a hobby farm on it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I wouldn't plan on making a living out of it though. As for value for money - I don't know if 45k is good value for a 2-acre site in rural Mayo where you're also going to have to pay for demolition costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Id put money on somebody from the UK buying this. Plenty of retired people come to rural Ireland, buy one of these cheap old houses and renovate gradually over a few years. Its always happening in the west and midlands. Throwing in a rusty old Suzuki Sj will speed up the sale too.

A word of warning though, this area is near the famous Tooreen hall where local legend says the devil appeared back in the 1960's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If there are no photos of the interior, that's because they don't want people seeing the interior......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Possibly the same house that the OP was trying to sell??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71647133

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Who the hell uses a soft filter when photographing property?
    Its only ever used on people who are trying to flatter themselves- it does nothing whatsover for property/landscape/surroundings etc

Is this good value or not?
    From what I can see its pretty much 2 acres of bog- to which under the new SAC you have zero turbary rights. The rushes tell a tale for themselves.

Would you want to camp out in a property like this? It would be very difficult to heat in the winter, in the absence of a constant fire- and very possibly difficult to access (think of how appalling it was around there last winter).

45k for a run down house, very rural, on 2 acres of bog- no thankyou.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Francie- can you clarify- are you the owner of this property?
    If so- I would direct you to the forum charter governing this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

nope

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nope

Lol, any the sellers name is Frank.... and your username is Francie.... :D

April fool was 2 months ago :P

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

That looks like a good price considering the two acres, I wonder is it on a flight path?

Advertisement