Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question: Sanded Floor Stain Problem

Options
  • 14-06-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I posted this in the DIY forum & was advised to post it here too, the long and short of it is can I bleach the stain in the floor (without long term damage) and if so what should I use, there's a link at the bottom about bleaching but would like some advice on it. I've uploaded a picture of the problem.

If not what would be the best way to 'even' the floor color out.

Thanks

Looking for a bit of advice here, I sanded the sitting room floor, it had carpet on it, when I took it up there was (very) old dark varnish around the edges nothing in the center, after sanding the dark varnish off, the floor is two different colors! I might be wrong here but I think the varnish protected the floor from something in the carpet that has stained the floor.

Anyway I'm looking for a way to blend the floor color around the edge before I put a clear varnish on it, I'd be really greatful for any advice here as I wont be able to use the sitting room till I get this sorted.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-ad...d-floors.shtml

picture.php?albumid=1746&pictureid=9785

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

a good sand with industrial sander may do the job. On the other hand if the stain is too deep it wont be worth it. There may be a chemical you can try but I personally dont know enough about that end to advise. Maybe try a few small test patches with sanding the stain or staining the pale wood.

If your going to stain the lot, id rent industrial sander for a day and give a proper sanding and if you stain the whole lot the right shade you should get away with it. Remember furniture will be in room when finished and its not as noticeable then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I've given it a heavy sand with a belt sander to test if the 'stain' comes up but to no avail, the missus really wanted a clear varnish (like the rest of the rooms) on it so I've got to try to find a way to get it up or to at least blend the brighter bit to the stained part.

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

ive heard of people using vinegar and water to remove plaser residue from wood but im not sure it would work here. Mineral spirits is another option and you can purchase carpet adhesive remover too. I would imagine those stains are from glue.

I would imagine bleach would be a very bad Idea but I have been proved wrong before.

Tbh I dont know what your next step is but if you wait long enough then someone on here will provide a good solution. Best of luck with it

Thanks Paul, I really hope someone does come up with a solution otherwise I'm stuck with a 2 tone floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

if you wash the floor with caustic soda it will pull some of the colour from the darkened wood into the lighter wood might be enough to blend the two tones but be warned caustic is nasty stuff you will need heavy rubber gloves and goggles mix it in a bucket with cold water and use plastic scourers or steel wool to wash the floor use vinegar in water to neutralise the caustic before you varnish

• Advertisement

Hi Dathi,

I'll try the caustic soda tomorrow & see if it smears some of the color across.

A friend also said to use tea or coffee to darken the bright area (has something to do with vinegar & a brillo pad too), he's sending me over a link so I'll have a look at that if the caustic approach doesn't work.

Thanks for taking the time to reply & for the advice, I'll keep the thread informed on how I get on!

Hi Guys,

I tried the caustic soda with no luck, whatever it is in the floor it does not want to move, then I used the tea a few times & it has darkened the bright bits nearly perfectly, you can still see the tide mark but I'm hoping that will be less after the varnish & moving stuff into the room.

Thanks to everyone for your help & comments, its really appreciated hopefully some day someone will find the prefect answer, as for now this will more than do!

picture.php?albumid=1746&pictureid=9906

P.S. it looks worse in the picture than it does with the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

it will stand out more when varished

if it was me id get all my stains and make someting up till the colour was right you should get it fairly spot on that way

Advertisement