Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overdue...

Options
  • 14-06-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

hi, im 3 days overdue and was just wondering do any of the home remedies for inducing labour actually work. Iv heard a few like walking, eating a hot curry or having sex but are there any more, or any that have been tried, tested and successful?
    Thanks, im dying to get baby out at this stage :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

I know acupuncture definitely works to induce labour. Get the needles, give it two to three hours and you are on your way to the hospital. I know a lot of people who use this and have had great success. Try it out if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

qwertytlk wrote: »
    hi, im 3 days overdue and was just wondering do any of the home remedies for inducing labour actually work. Iv heard a few like walking, eating a hot curry or having sex but are there any more, or any that have been tried, tested and successful?
    Thanks, im dying to get baby out at this stage :D

Cleaning the house worked for me on the second child - on the first child I ate oily fish at 9:30 p.m. and was in labour at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Personally, unless you're looking down the barrel of an induction gun, I wouldn't worry about it - babe will come when s/he (and your body) is ready. By all means, try whatever makes you feel good, but you will have the rest of your life with this babe, a few more days won't hurt anything.

As for "fixes," nothing is definite. I walked, swam, had sex, ate curries and finally used castor oil. The oil finally did me in but it was a pretty scary fast labour, so not to be taken lightly or without a fair amount of research.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A friend of mine swears by eating loads of pineapple, but I'd reckon that should be approached with the same level of caution as the castor oil, because every time she used it she got a horrendous case of the runs, which is probably what really got things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Not to mention that lots of pineapple will give your tongue an acid burn. Not fun. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes, and also she was saying it's fresh pineapple not tinned pineapple, so maybe the hassle of chopping it all up is a contributing factor also! Seriously though, my mum was saying that one thing that can really help is if you relax, she said if you start stressing out it can be counter-productive and stop your body going into labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I tried everything on my first lad - hot bath, sex, curry, fresh pineapple, evening primrose oil, raspberry leaf tea, walking, reflexology, swimming, resting, meditation, prosecco, licorice, stair climbing - everything except castor oil as I'd prefer induction to bad diarrhea! Nothing worked, he just wasn't ready. I think he'd have stayed another week but I was eventually induced (gels) at 10 days over and it was actually grand (4hr labour, gas & air all the way) so even if you do go over that much, try not to stress too much, baby will come out one way or the other.

Hope something works for you though, the waiting is definitely the worst part!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

I take it your baby turned for you then qwertytlk?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I'm in the same boat myself, was due on Sunday. After some tears, I figure i will let baby do what it's gona do, and if he/she is staying there, so be it! Have an induction date of the 21st anyway, so at least I know it will be here by the 22nd!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

yeah baby turned around he isnt fully engaged though so im not holding out much hope of him staying head down as he has been there 3 times already and managed to move...obviously he has other ideas to me about when he is ready to be born!! Have hospital appointment tomorrow so i guess il find out then if he is still there and hopefully get a better idea of what there plans are for me!!! Dont want to try castor oil,sounds awful. Think for now i might just wait and see what happens....and as i get closer to iduction (11 days overdue) and if nothing seeems to be happening, then i might try some of the above!!! Thanks for all the tips though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Ayla wrote: »
    The oil finally did me in but it was a pretty scary fast labour, so not to be taken lightly or without a fair amount of research.

I have to second this warning! In her desperation to get the baby out, my sister took castor oil and ended up going into such a fast labour that there was no time to even get out of the house. My niece was born on the kitchen floor! I know of another girl who took it while in the hospital and her labour came on pretty fast aswell. That said, I know others who have taken it and only ended up spending a lot of time on the toilet! I personally will NOT be using it if I go overdue.

Advertisement