Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First stand up - Advice?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey, hows it going, i figure boards is a decent place to ask.
    Ive decided to give stand up a whirl.
    Ive been writing for about the last year and my whole life has been a joke, so i'm thinking i could probably get a few free drinks out of this.

Any tips or ideas?

Ive looked online for advice and every comedy site wants to send me to
    comedy classes or "tuition" on comedy. And pay for it...

I think if you have to go to classes and get a tutor its probably not for you.

I dont have any mates that do it, but dont really want to hand all my material to someone online for an evaluation.

I'm also kinda worried my stuff might be a bit dark or vile.
    So not sure the kinda place to start.

Any ideas? Comedy workshops could be fun. (oh, i'm in Dublin.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Battle of the Axe at the Ha'Penny Inn on a Tuesday night is a pretty good place to start.

Also practice doing your routine out loud a lot. Record yourself doing it and listen back, keep doing this until you don't sound like you've just learned it off by heart. I was shocked the first time I recorded myself how much it sounded like I was reading it off even though I wasn't.

Maybe tone down the vile stuff at the start until you get a bit more confidence, you've got to win an audience over before you throw that at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jackster

Ye, sound advise there from Jeff,Battle of the Axe at the Ha'Penny Inn on a Tuesday night is a great spot to start and also meet other stand ups starting out.you can network for numbers to other clubs.
    If you've been writing for a year you must be dying to try your material out and that's the only way you will know how good it is.
    Do it,enjoy it ,prepare well and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

Nice one.
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    Yeah, I think i'll give the hapenny a go.
    Ive wrote about an 1 1/2 hours worth of stuff, so a 5 min attempt should be pretty easy.
    ... I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

This is all the advice you need in one handy thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381768

Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

I would also try stand up ireland http://www.standupireland.com/index.html

Its a workshop and how I got started. It's a great weekend and great way to start off in stand up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

advice........................

be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

fryup wrote: »
    advice........................

be funny

Amazing advice there. You should be on the stage yourself with quality lines like that! ;)

Advertisement