Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Realistic Rally Simulator of all time?

• 14-06-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭

So what do the boardies think the most realistic Rally Racing sim is out there?

In terms of handling, not graphics.

Have been trying out dirt 3 and wasn't expecting it to feel this arcadey,
    after they said it strikes a nice balance between arcade and simulation.

Colin McRae Rally ONE felt more realistic than this!

After doing a quick bit of googling, the opinion seems to be that Richard Burns Rally, was the best attempt of a realistic sim.

I haven't played it before, just the CMR and WRC Series.

V-Rally also but that was more of an arcade game, but was great!

Then there was "Rally Masters" a game straight out of the bargain basket! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

my money's on RBR anyway!

I played it for ages and must dig it out again! very difficult and very frustrating, but persevere and the rewards are there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Richard Burns Rally without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Cheers lads!

How did ye find how WRC compared to the Colin Mc Rae series?

The last WRC i played was 4, and if I remember correctly it started to feel a bit more realistic than the Colin McRaes out at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Has to be Richard burns for realism. Plus there's new mods released every year to keep it updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

At this time, its RBR. Nothing else comes even close TBH. WRC and Colin McRae are arcadey, certainly not sims. I'd rather play Rally Trophy than either of them LOL.

Get RBR, you wont be dissapointed. Its the kind of game that actually makes you grimace when you try something that you might not get away with. That's usually a good sign :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Oh lord get yourself a copy of Richard Burns, get a few mods and its bang up to date, I never tire of that game and thats 3 years of ownership!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

I really wish they would make a newer version of richard burns rally. The graphics are a bit outdated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

the source code was bought and i put in a tender to do some graphic tweaks for it ( fingers crossed )

but its privately owned now by the modding community heads afaik so expect more goodies.

RBR is and always will be a class rally sim, not for the faint of heart. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Absolutely love the Rally School and the whole realistic feel of the game, i don't think I ever did a braking drift in any of the other rally games to take a corner.

The only thing holding me back is my cheapo Thrustmaster wheel and pedals.
    Its very hard to keep the revs where you want them, i'd imagine this game trully shines with a G25+ wheel/pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

RBR like everyone else says, nothing comes close to it when it comes to a rally sim. It is just amazing. And it does really shine when you run it with a G25 or something better. The grafix are a bit outdated that is true but once you get into the game you don't even think about that anymore, that is how good the game is.

But a warning, you will be angry more then once playing RBR because it is DAMN hard sometimes but I have become sooo much better at other racing sims thanks to RBR (power sliding is a dream in RBR).

Overclockers.co.uk sell G27 for good price now and then. I bought my cuz one of that site for around €250 incl. shipping and that is good. Just keep a look out for their "Deals of the week" and you would easy find a good bargain there.

Regards,
    /c0rn3y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

never played rbr but i liked the old colin mcrae games and some of the wrc ones on ps2 were decent. dirt on the other hand is actually dirt. arcadey pick up and play rubbish that requires no thought or skill.

Some RBR Triplehead onboard.
    Such a great rally sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭kksaints

Did anyone ever play Rally championship? The british rally championship game. I had it on the ps1 and it was good although it wasnt that realistic was it much better on the pc.

Have to agree on RBR only had it for a short while but was very realistic. Some of the old WRC games were good although the new one wasnt as good as I hoped.

kksaints wrote: »
    Did anyone ever play Rally championship? The british rally championship game. I had it on the ps1 and it was good although it wasnt that realistic was it much better on the pc.

Have to agree on RBR only had it for a short while but was very realistic. Some of the old WRC games were good although the new one wasnt as good as I hoped.

Rally championship was really excellent, id rate it second place to RBR of all time rally sims.
    Its graphics at the time were mindblowing good with pretty damn good physics.

Dcully wrote: »
    Rally championship was really excellent, id rate it second place to RBR of all time rally sims.
    Its graphics at the time were mindblowing good with pretty damn good physics.

I enjoyed on the ps1 wish I had gotten to try the pc version. Is their any game that has long rally stages with ones of about ten minutes or greater in length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Richard Burns Rally, no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Yes it was network Q rally championship or something?
    I remember the stages being very long, like anything up to 20 mins on all surfaces with day and night and all!!
    Amazing at the time but RBR has won me over :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Ive just downloaded RBR after all this talk. Im installing the rbr2011 mod and all the updates now. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thats RSRBR2011 fully installed with full car pack etc. Installation was easy enough and despite very dated graphics, the physics model is fantastic. Its incredibly difficult, but that just reinforces the absolute joy when you nail a stage! Ive been using keys, so I will be buying myself a wheel shortly. Some goon stole my G25 a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

djrichard wrote: »
    Ive just downloaded RBR after all this talk. Im installing the rbr2011 mod and all the updates now. Looking forward to trying it out.

links?

• Advertisement

links?

I cant post a link to where I got the actual game, as in doing so I would have possibly breached the forum rules regarding copyright. Lets just say, that its from the site that Eircom has banned access too. Luckily Im with UPC.

All the other downloads and updates are from here

http://www.racedepartment.com/richard-burns-rally/31470-rsrbr2011-installing-using-guidelines.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

djrichard wrote: »
    I cant post a link to where I got the actual game, as in doing so I would have possibly breached the forum rules regarding copyright. Lets just say, that its from the site that Eircom has banned access too. Luckily Im with UPC.

All the other downloads and updates are from here

http://www.racedepartment.com/richard-burns-rally/31470-rsrbr2011-installing-using-guidelines.html

Cool, thanks ;)

Did anyone try the new WRC game that was released recently?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Did anyone try the new WRC game that was released recently?

Yeah, it's terrible

Enderman wrote: »
    Yeah, it's terrible

In what way may I ask? Any good points to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Graphics are not the worst.

The online matchmaking is not bad.

Audio is quite good.

Single player is bearable.

HOWEVER, the cars control like racing a trolley around Tesco. It's really bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yeah Richard Burns is way out there on its own. Astonishing sim not for the feint hearted.

Grand Prix Legends difficulty and needs a wheel.

Grand Prix Legends difficulty and needs a wheel.

I'm going to give it a shot again. I do love the sound of the Ferrari V12 in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'm going to give it a shot again. I do love the sound of the Ferrari V12 in it.

Its about 7 years since I played it. I still miss the online races. But yeah, the first time I pulled out of the pits at Monza in the Ferrari the hair on the back of my neck stood on end

• Advertisement

I still miss the online races. But yeah, the first time I pulled out of the pits at Monza in the Ferrari the hair on the back of my neck stood on end

Online GPL races, now that must have been something.

Advertisement