Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Realistic Rally Simulator of all time?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

YbFocus wrote: »
    Yes it was network Q rally championship or something?
    I remember the stages being very long, like anything up to 20 mins on all surfaces with day and night and all!!
    Amazing at the time but RBR has won me over :D

The copy on PC I had was called Mobil 1 Rally Championship, and the graphics were adequate. The stages in snow were fun!

The physics of the cars, though, were excellent, and if the RBR is better, then it must be very good indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Online GPL races, now that must have been something.

It was a pretty big community in the early naughties. Even the pick up races in general were fantastic. With such a steep learning curve there were few idiots.

I was playing a whole year before I won my first on line race. I was shaking like a leaf on the last lap trying to keep it together with bald tyres.:p It was at Monza in the Ferrari too.:)

Its tragic that old circuits like Rouen and old Spa dont exist any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

How many people would have taken part in the online races Mike?

And as for Spa, the one in GPL is the business.

I think the cap was 18. There are loads of clips on youtube. The program was called Vrock. I'd say its still available. No idea how active it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Funny that GPL came up in this discussion as I actually re-installed GPL on my PC last week. Still brilliant, yeah the physics engine flaws are noticable by todays standards but still awesome all the same and it still wallops some of todays arcady games that claim to be realistic.
    If you are reinstalling it make sure you get the GPL installer: http://gplps.org/wb/pages/projects/gpl-installer.php
    It installs GPL along with a series of patches and graphics updates.
    GEM+ is another useful too.

Online racing used to be magic, I remember being able to have races with dial up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Thanks for the GPL installer link there Souper Computer :) I must get GPL up and running again.

Online racing used to be magic, I remember being able to have races with dial up!

Amazing considering how unforgiving it is. When someone was near you there was none of this Schumacher shoit you always gave room.

It was actually the first game I ever bought for a PC back in 99.

Here's a vid one of the community, Jimmy Bo, made back in the day. He'd ask everyone to send him replays and make vids out of them. My clip is at 2:00, a Lotus rolling over the top of me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ahhh GPL, the endless hours,days,months,years playing on VROC on my 56k internet, waiting till after 6pm so i wouldnt be charged for dialing up.

Advertisement