If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new sub is humming

Options
  • 14-06-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Hi John,

My order arrived today (cheers). However, my monitor VW8 is making a disconcerting humming sound. I understand av equipment can make some noise but this seems louder than my last sub and I can hear it when the sitting room is quiet. I turned the dials up and down at the back but they made little difference.

I have connected the sub woofer to my Denon amp using a phono cable which has three connections on each side (Red, Green and Yellow). I can only plug one of the connections into my amp and two into the sub.

I've attached pics of my cable and the back of my amp.

BTW: MY last amp had an auto-tune feature. The Denon doesn't. Do you have a rough idea of how to set it properly for a small rom with Q Acoustic 2000 speakers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Not sure if this helps but here's how I've set my system up:

My fronts are 3.5 metres, my sub is -.4 from me and my rears are .5m.

My crossover frequency is 80HZ.
    I have set my speakers to small.
    My bass LFE is 120HZ.
    I have turned the sub volume dial to 12 o'clock and the phase to 0. I have also turned off the sub's internal LFE.

I checked the volume using a decibel metre and all the speakers score 80db. The sub however scores 40db.

Does this sound correct? I am not audiophile but I'd like to get the most from system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Hi Silvine,

From what you've posted there's a chance that you may not have connected the sub and reciever correctly together. Please do not turn on either the receiver or the sub again until one of the RS guys has a chance to talk to you.

If you do not get a response here tomorrow, give Dave or Kenny a call in the shop, they'll talk you through your set-up and get you on the right track.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Subs only use a single cable (or at least any that I've seen) ..... sound like you've connected it wrong. Get a sub cable (just one colour from the RCA cable may work?) and plug one end into the Pre-Out Sub socket on the amp and the other end into the sub (prob called Line In)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

silvine wrote: »
    Not sure if this helps but here's how I've set my system up:

My fronts are 3.5 metres, my sub is -.4 from me and my rears are .5m.

My crossover frequency is 80HZ.
    I have set my speakers to small.
    My bass LFE is 120HZ.
    I have turned the sub volume dial to 12 o'clock and the phase to 0. I have also turned off the sub's internal LFE.

I checked the volume using a decibel metre and all the speakers score 80db. The sub however scores 40db.

Does this sound correct? I am not audiophile but I'd like to get the most from system.

Silvine,

Apologies for the inconvenience - the bottom line is that the sub should not Hum (it will of course make a small noise but this should not be audible from more than a meter away) In the 1st instance - before looking at settings - the 1st thing to look at is if the sub hums WITHOUT any leads connected and ensure that it is reasonably isolated from a mains supply (ie not sitting right on top of a mains socket).

If it's still humming after you have isolated it and disconnected the sub cable then we have a problem (well actually if it was humming AND winking at you we would REALLY have a problem ;) ) and we will have to swap it over for you.

If disconnecting the sub reduces the hum - then I would look at the cables as these need to be well screened - unscreened cables easily pick up interference from any source and this translates into a hum - Easily solvable with the addition of a decent dedicated Sub cable - If you could do this basic test and give Dave a shout on 00.44.300.900.0071 or of course drop us a line to sales@richersounds.ie.

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Ok, I'll play around with it when I get home. Thanks.

BTW my centre and fronts are pretty close together (on the fireplace) but I was reading online the fronts should be angled at me. Does that make much of a difference? (I'm not sure if my sitting room can accomodate stands at the front too)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

silvine wrote: »
    Ok, I'll play around with it when I get home. Thanks.

BTW my centre and fronts are pretty close together (on the fireplace) but I was reading online the fronts should be angled at me. Does that make much of a difference? (I'm not sure if my sitting room can accomodate stands at the front too)

Silvine,

Thanks for your patience - as a general rule the Vectors are fine mounted straight especially if they are not spaced far apart and the listening point is close to the site of the satellites - however if the satellites / Front speakers are farther apart we would normally recommend about a 30% 'toe-in' towards the listening point to improve the imaging.

However to be honest really the only way that you can guarantee a decent set up is to try several options and use the best test equipment MK1Ears - I would try initially setting up using simple stereo contect as opposed to 5.1 and get the basic fronts & sub set up in the 1st instance. ( I'm not sure if you have heard the James Vincent McMorrow CD - but this sounds great & I have been using it for deom the last few weeks!)

Kee us posted on the VW8,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

I ended up going for the Q Acoustics from my front and the VW8 for my sub. The Q Acoustics are larger than I thought but they sound good. I thought someone was at the front door last night, it was just the speakers!

Cheers for the advice. I have that album and there's only 3-4m between my fronts and rears. I'll give them a blast tonight.

Got it all set up. The guys in the shop are sending out a part for my stand.

Just want to say thanks for feeding my gadget addiction on the cheap!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.