Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What peasant bought next ...

• 14-06-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

this is becoming a %$£&* obsession :D

commited to this little thing yesterday:

163046.jpg

Now the seller says that this is "NOS", but my bit of internet research leads me to believe that while there probably is 100% old stock in this watch, it is highly unlikely that it was ever sold new in this particular combination :D

So it's a Frankenstein. A sweet ikkle Franky though and I couldn't resist.:D

Seller says shipping will take about a month ...let's see if it will ever arrive or if he does a runner with my money :rolleyes:

Anyhow ..if it does arrive ...I'll use it as my quirky take on the Junghans Max Bill that I'd also like but that is simply too expensive for my kind of watch buying.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh man you've got it baaaaad P. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I (still) blame the weather :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've never owned a 24 hour watch. Very cool.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've never owned a 24 hour watch. Very cool.

There's a few 24h pilot style Frankensteins currently around

pilot_black_enl.jpgblack3_enl.jpg

And for "your friend" (:D) you can even get a frankened 24h diver in the 60 mm Zlatoust 700m diver case :D:D:D (gold plated, no less)

diver13_gold_enl.jpg

Personally, I think that a 24h watch is a bit of a gimmick ...that's why I bought it (cheap :D)

Second one looks interesting. The third reminds me of Nemo LOL. I'll be sure to show my friend this :D

• Advertisement

Out of those three, I'd have the first one ...because on that one the dial actually makes sense.
    (smaller inner ring for the hours that actually meets the hour hand and bigger ring for the minutes that meets the minute hand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Welcome to the club!

I would love to get a Glycine Airman, but the boss would not approve any more watches (at least not over €100). Instead I had to settle on this one:

Watches%25252025.jpg

As the more observant among you may have noticed ...the weather is still shoyte :D (meaning I've got too much time on my hands to spend in the bay)

So today I fell for a Russian rat-trap :D

Well actually, it's a rattrapante ...a stopwatch with two hands:

164709.jpg164710.jpg

Hopefully that'll scratch that chrono itch for a while

EDIT:
    btw ...this is a "space" stopwatch :D:D (take that, Rolex)
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f10/38964d1171209760-new-pic-my-russian-space-watches-spacegallery2.jpg

EDIT #2:

The same company also made (in the 1960's) a mechanical stopwatch that measures 1/100th of a second and beats at 360.000 beats per hour :eek:. That's 10 times faster than the one above

Ok ... so perhaps by now I should stop pretending that this is not an obsession :rolleyes:

I just bought this:

471493d1310592712-incoming-nos-two-tone-slava-brown-487995524_o-small-.jpg
    471494d1310592712-incoming-nos-two-tone-slava-brown-487995545_o-small-.jpg
    471495d1310592712-incoming-nos-two-tone-slava-brown-487995571_o-small-.jpg

Yepp ...it's another Russian. Slava 2427 automatic movement (also with the twin barrels) and with date quick-set pusher. This is an export model, hence the English lettering.

Advertised as new old stock and from the sellers pics it certainly looks it.

ooops :o
    Today I won an auction where I thought I wouldn't stand a chance and watch no 7 is now on its way. I currently have more watches in the post than at home :rolleyes:

Anyhow ...you guessed it, it's another Russian. This time a "Sekonda" branded (for export) Poljot with caliber 2612.1
    It should look something like this (the sellers picture wasn't great so I borrowed another one)

P1040728.JPG

The second crown and the extra small hand indicate that there is something special going on here.
    In this case, it's an alarm :p (one of the trapped bee kind, like in this video of a watch with the same caliber)

The second crown sets the alarm hand and winds a second spring, which in turn activates a little hammer that hammers away at a pin in the caseback, producing the trapped bee alarm.

All a bit of fun :D

• Advertisement

Haha two watches in a day. Both look very nice especially the first one. Has that 60's look to it's design. Do you have a watch for every day of the year yet?

BTW is Sekonda a Russian brand?

Do you have a watch for every day of the year yet?
    So far it's every day of the week :D
    BTW is Sekonda a Russian brand?
    In Soviet days Sekonda, Cornavin and Cardinal used to be brand names used for export for all Russian brands into different western markets. So you could have a Sekonda-Poljot or a Sekonda-Raketa, etc.

I have no idea who owns "Sekonda" these days, but I don't think it's Russian, going by their current line-up

today I bought this:

zim_blzx-2.jpg

I was told to buy it because it's a nice shade of blue :D
    (And I won't be the one wearing it either)

For those whose interest goes beyond the colour ...
    The dial is indeed blue, buit it's also guilloche. The watch itself is a Pobeda/Zim caliber 2602, handwind, 15 Jewels diameter 36 mm incl. crown

Good, old, pedestrian Russian mechanics
    zim_blzx-4.jpg

So this is what you get for trying to get your wife to understand your new hobby ...two more watches :D

numero uno:
    $(KGrHqIOKjYE4!eH220fBOGvd0g55!~~0_3.JPG
    A Luch (Minsk) ...one of the 23 jewelled, super-slim Poljot de luxe derivatives

shiney, innit? :D (seems to have a AU marking on the case as well)
    $(KGrHqYOKm8E4TU7BR8FBOGvfJr9VQ~~0_3.JPG

Nummer zwei:

pc130474.jpg
    pc130479.jpg

A somewhat more pedestrian Vostok ...it does have a lovely dial though, it must be said :D

Both are 36 mm in diameter and we shall have to fight it out who gets to wear them in the end

Still on Russians :D

The next one for meself, Raketa "Domino", 2628H handwind movement with day and date.

The "domino" bit would be the day display ...the red dot moves from 1 - 7 according to the day of the week.
    479356d1311708717-anybody-ever-heard-raketa-domino-raketa-telephone-domino1.jpg479357d1311708692-anybody-ever-heard-raketa-domino-raketa-telephone-domino4.jpg

NOS, complete with instructions and "box" (if you want to call that a box :D)
    479358d1311708775-anybody-ever-heard-raketa-domino-raketa-telephone-domino6.jpg

That is awesome. BTW have you Russian connections?

nope ...no Russian connections whatsoever

(There's just so much fun and the occasional good deal to be had browsing the bay for Russian watches)

• Advertisement

Yepp ...but it's like sooo not my style, like :D ...that I never payed any closer attention

EDIT
    this guy sells them too http://www.vostok-watches.com/ (under Buran, of course :D)

and a few other sites ...but as I said, I never paid any close attention ...not my style, not my price range

Your style is very eclectic I'm surprised none of them have caught your eye LOL.

The most that I've spent on a watch so far is 239 Euro (the Vostok Europe) ...that's how "eclectic" my style is :D:D:D

Did you invest in a winder or do you bother?

Some nice Vostok Ladies watches in that link. Might be an idea for the wifes birthday present.

Naaahh ...most of my autos handwind anyway and the one that doesn't doesn't have a date or any other complications, so it gets to rest every now and then :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

peasant wrote: »
    The most that I've spent on a watch so far is 239 Euro (the Vostok Europe) ...that's how "eclectic" my style is :D:D:D
    *checks DNA, looking for some mid European Teuton genes cos clearly separated at birth. Waves at brother*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've been hankering after one of those super-slim Poljot/Luch de luxe watches for quite a while now. The ones with the 2209, 2.6 mm thin caliber. (also see the red Luch above)

Several versions I nearly bought ...chromed case, gold plated case, white dial, gold dial... black dial was really tempting...until some days ago I saw a Sekonda branded version with a blue dial and red second hand:D (complete with mesh bracelet)

Here's the one and only sellers pic
    $(KGrHqF,!icE3W,6F-HuBOIwcrKllw~~0_12.JPG

Well ..today I won the auction ...now I can't wait to find out if the delivered article will meet expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you sell on your watches, or do you have a barrel full of them by now?

• Advertisement

I don't have that many watches ...I just post a lot about them :D

Hi,

I'm peasant and I'm a watchaholic

:rolleyes:

Damn you ebay ...:D
    I guess they call the watch list: "watch" list for a reason :rolleyes:

There I was ogling this one watch on my watch list for a while, listed for a buy it now price that I didn't want to pay. So today I made an offer for 25% less ...and it was accepted.

Looks like I'm now the proud owner of my biggest watch so far (44 mm dia).

It's a bit of a weird one. It's an Aristo ...except that the dial says "Apucto" which is Aristo in cyrillic. And that's because Aristo have a Russian sub-company making Apucto watches for the Eastern European markets. Except this particular watch wasn't made in Russia at all but in Pforzheim Germany with a specially tweaked and beautified Russian pocket watch movement ...the Molnija 3603.

It's a HP2 model and together with it's two sister Molnija powered models (HP1 and HP3) only 300 have been made in total. T'would be pretty rare then, especially as it seems like the Panerai lookalike HP1 and "Flieger" HP3 have been sold in larger numbers. (at least those get talked about quite a bit on the net)

Anyhow ...enough bumpf ...here's some sellers pics: (sorry, they're a bit big)

image_display.php?file_id=4010924&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1&first=trueimage_display.php?file_id=4010927&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1
    image_display.php?file_id=4010925&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1image_display.php?file_id=4010928&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1

So there it is, my almost-Flieger, almost- pocketwatch, almost-Panerai, almost-russian, German big watch :D

Today, just to scare bedlam
    bedlam wrote: »
    That dial scares me!

I bought this: :D

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!iQE4sSE0jo(BOR-HCHKjQ~~0_3.JPG

Been "will-I-won't-I" around this kind of watch for weeks and today I finally pulled the trigger ...at 27 quid in NOS condition I simply couldn't resist.

Useless factoid:
    Gorby wore one of those on his state visit to Italy, prompting press reports the next day that the USSR was starting from zero all over again.

A line in the sand ...that's what I "bought" today.

Lately I have found myself lusting after watches that I "want" even though I don't particularly like them and even though I know I probably won't wear them.

I have started to want watches because of a particular movement, some particular feature that makes them different or just because they are rare and I'm hoping to get a bargain.

This has to stop.

I'm not a collector and due to very limited knowledge I never will be a collector ...and I don't really want to be a collector either. My stamp collection bored me to death as a kid and I fear a watch collection would do the same to me in time to come.

So, as for the time being I have about all the watches that I really wanted (within my parameters), this thread should come to a bit of a halt as peasant stops buying for a while.

(until the parameters change or my resolve weakens ...let's see what happens first / how long it takes :D)

I'm already going through cold turkey.

I'm ok for a while ...I've still got three in the post :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

I have stopped buying too. But a massive box of watch tools and a lovely lamp have arrived and I am starting into tinkering with bits and pieces I have picked up :)

I will still let me wife buy me a watch for my birthday, xmas etc though :)

I've began selling off some of my comic statue collection. Going for my next dream watch.

Peasantitus is spreading. :D

The hiatus is over :D

Peasant just got himself a new job where he might have to wear a suit occasionally ...so of course peasant needs a dresswatch :D

Just clicked buy it now on this beauty (not my pics, obviously)

http://www.watch-store.com/pictures/rmcomps.jpg

http://uhrforum.de/attachments/159260d1285531748t-roamer-competence-original-typ-ii-rc3.jpg

It's supposed to come from Italy, NIB, including papers and two years warranty for less than half the new price ...let's see if that materialises or if I've been had by the mafia :D

Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I'm trying to figure out how you find these things

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'm trying to figure out how you find these things

Shoyte weather, too much time on my hands (and my wife hogs the telly :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

peasant wrote: »
    Damn you ebay ...:D
    I guess they call the watch list: "watch" list for a reason :rolleyes:

There I was ogling this one watch on my watch list for a while, listed for a buy it now price that I didn't want to pay. So today I made an offer for 25% less ...and it was accepted.

Looks like I'm now the proud owner of my biggest watch so far (44 mm dia).

It's a bit of a weird one. It's an Aristo ...except that the dial says "Apucto" which is Aristo in cyrillic. And that's because Aristo have a Russian sub-company making Apucto watches for the Eastern European markets. Except this particular watch wasn't made in Russia at all but in Pforzheim Germany with a specially tweaked and beautified Russian pocket watch movement ...the Molnija 3603.

It's a HP2 model and together with it's two sister Molnija powered models (HP1 and HP3) only 300 have been made in total. T'would be pretty rare then, especially as it seems like the Panerai lookalike HP1 and "Flieger" HP3 have been sold in larger numbers. (at least those get talked about quite a bit on the net)

Anyhow ...enough bumpf ...here's some sellers pics: (sorry, they're a bit big)

image_display.php?file_id=4010924&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1&first=trueimage_display.php?file_id=4010927&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1
    image_display.php?file_id=4010925&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1image_display.php?file_id=4010928&directory_id=1063458&user_id=12616&size=large&vorlage_id=1

So there it is, my almost-Flieger, almost- pocketwatch, almost-Panerai, almost-russian, German big watch :D

Peasant,
    The pics are not gone! Can you re-post? I want to get a Molnija 3603 in a watch but the Moscow classics are not doing it for me, I want to see some more alternatives. BTY, nice work on the "Franken" watch, I wouldnt have the patience for it. I was thinking however of Franking a Moscow Classic with a decent classic dial, something along the lines of a Stowa Marine. Is there any good "Frankers" out there? :D

pics of "my" Apucto are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73871446&postcount=497

you on the other hand might like this:

hp14_fff3c3_640.jpg
    http://www.aristo-online.de/online-shop/armbanduhren-herren-mechanisch/uhren-mit-handaufzug/45-mm-aristo-in-russ-ausfuehrung-2.html

or perhaps this (which is a bit more manageable at 41 mm)
    aristo-handaufzug-4h103_fff3c3_640.jpg
    http://www.aristo-online.de/online-shop/armbanduhren-herren-mechanisch/uhren-mit-handaufzug/aristo-handaufzug2.html

http://www.aristo-online.de/online-shop/armbanduhren-herren-mechanisch/uhren-mit-handaufzug/index.html

Other than that ...the supply of 3603's has pretty much dried up. All you can find at this stage is unsold leftovers or the odd fluke pocketwatch for your own conversion.

BTW there are complete kits out there for the Unitas 6497/98 complete with case, dials and hands. You could put a Molnija movement in there no problem ...but you would need to make your own movement ring and you'd have to carry over the hands (or get special Molnija ones) and buy a Molnija replacement stem ...all easily available (except for the 3603 movement at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Thats more like it! The price for the 41 mm is a lot steeper tho.. Yeah, the problem with the kit is the movement in the first place, and I like the finishing that Aristo has put on them, | wonder do they fine tune/smooth out/regulate the movement as well? In other words do they get the movement unfinished and finish it off as it looks a lot better then the movements in the Pocket watches?
    I'm gonna get a pocket watch with the 3602 as well, if I remember rightly you got one origonally for the project, any pics? could you recommend the seller you got it off as there is truckloads of them out there!
    Or maybe I'll just wait untill you move onto chinese watches and have to flog the russians.... :D

I like the finishing that Aristo has put on them, | wonder do they fine tune/smooth out/regulate the movement as well? In other words do they get the movement unfinished and finish it off as it looks a lot better then the movements in the Pocket watches?

I believe that Molnija actually sold those movements highly finished to a few select customers ...sort of going down with flying colours kind of thing. Molnija no longer makes any movements. If Aristo did indeed regulate it, they didn't put too much effort into it; it's about 1.5 minutes fast per week currently and I'm sure that can be improved upon once I get stuck into that.

As for the 3602 that I bought, that became a victim of bodging and curiosity :D. It's still ticking, but it no longer has a useable dial or hands ...but as it only cost 15 Euro ...no great loss.

EDIT:
    You might also be interested in this shop http://stores.ebay.ie/Juri-Levenberg/_i.html?_nkw=molnija&submit=Search&LH_TitleDesc=1&_sid=18903076 for conversions or (overpriced) pocket watches.

Advertisement