Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you switch to ordinary level after you see the higher level paper?

• 14-06-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm due to sit higher level history tomorrow and I don't think I have studied near enough, so there is a lot that could come up I haven't learned. Can you start with the higher level paper and then ask for the ordinary after you read it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Yes, but afaik you can't write anything down for the one you decline

I did my LC a few years ago admittedly but doubt the policy changed. I know a lot that bottled out of HL on the day and went for OL across all the subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I don't think you can see the paper and then go "Oh hang on" otherwise everyone would do it. I know you can say it on the day that you want to do one or the other, but not after you see the paper I wouldn't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

No you can't. Not officially anyway... Your supervisor may however let you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Nope. A few of us were going to try that for Maths but we had to do the level we chose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

Hmmm, guess I'll see if my examiner will let me. Otherwise I may have to drop down....all that work on my higher level project wasted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Don't drop down unless you are sure you are going to fail!

Remember a C3 is 60 points in honours and an A1 is 60 points is ordinary.
    You are more than likely to get a C3 in higher than an A1 in Ordinary.

Keep it in mind :rolleyes:

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/04/13/00084.asp When I did it, we were told all along in 5th+6th you're allowed to read the paper and request the other if it's too difficult or easy for your liking, but can only answer one of them. Having said that, have a bash at honours history. I was missing from school from Dec-orals due to an NDE so had no work done for it and was hopeless, but the way I saw it was I was ****ed either way so go for the higher marks. Plus, the essay question's in the bag (though I made people up when I got stuck. I admit it!) Ended up with more marks than I'd have gotten at OL. You've worked hard thus far, don't stress over it =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

HL history is not that hard seriously. You could definatly get the sufficient amount covered from now til tomorrow. Just go over case studies and stuff related to them.
    I know most people in my class did it for the mock and about 9 of us got c1's

Don't drop down unless you are sure you are going to fail!

Remember a C3 is 60 points in honours and an A1 is 60 points is ordinary.
    You are more than likely to get a C3 in higher than an A1 in Ordinary.

Keep it in mind :rolleyes:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I think thr best I could do in higher is to scrape some kind of D if I'm lucky. But I doubt I would get an A in higher level either so I'm not sure. Suppose I'll cram tonight and the morning and see what happens tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As far as I am aware, while you can change up to the day and even until you are being handed the paper, you must choose at that point ... you can't say "oh, I'll have a look and choose then!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 moviequoter

Ask your examiner before you go into the exam. Then you'll know if they'll allow you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Rule 73 on page 10 of your information booklet:

"...He/she [the candidate] may not be supplied with, or allowed to see, the papers in more than one level in the same subject."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

In our centre anyway, the level you take is chosen depending on which sticker you put on your script, which is before the papers are given out.

In our centre anyway, the level you take is chosen depending on which sticker you put on your script, which is before the papers are given out.

In my hall the script already has a sticker on it and is on your table, we can ask for different ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Totallytoffee

I know it's not advised but... anybody got any predictions by chance? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know it's not advised but... anybody got any predictions by chance? :P
    Have a look around the forum, lot's of threads on different subjects with discussion on what people think might come up.

Always advisable to treat with extreme caution though.

I think this has been asked and answered really? MM even found the exact wording of the rule for you, OP! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement