Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help advice needed

• 14-06-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Not sure if I am on the right thread, I'm new to this. But could someone help me out with a dilema. Have a daughter in school(Senior infants) and one year old at home.

Due to go on holidays in two weeks, have saved long and hard for this holiday. There has been a case of chickenpox in the the other senior infants class, have been told of another possible case.

Seeing that we are due to fly in two weeks our concern is our daughter is going to bring infection back to house.

Under normal circumstances it would'nt bother us because they are going to get it at some stage. But the fact that if the kids get it they cant fly or if it is incubating they will get it on holiday and we will be stuck abroad(Airlines dont let you travel with chickenpox) There are other family members travelling with us so it wouldnt only be our holiday ruined.

Has anybody had any experience of taking a child out of school for similar issues....What line would the school take if you were to take the child out of school early?

Any advice would be much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Isn't it always the way!?!?

Chicken pox is present 10-21 days before you actually see the spots, and the child's contagious for 1-2 days before the spots appear. The child's contagious all while the unscabbed pox are present:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002559/

Assuming the pox were just discovered in the other children (ie: the spots just appeared) that means they would have been contagious say since Friday. If your child has been in contact with them since then, it is possible your child would have contracted the virus. Problem being, of course, that you wouldn't even know until you are on holiday.

How long is your holiday? Is it possible to go later (ie: cut the hols short but at least then you can ensure your child does or doesn't have the pox?) It is possible that the virus can be transmitted (even if your child doesn't come out in spots).

That's a horrible situation, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lilypie

Thanks Ayla. I know that she might already have it thats another prob but what would you do if you were me keep her out of school or send her in...

Thanks for the link you posted..

Assuming the kids who already have the spots are no longer in school, I suppose I'd keep her in. If she's gotten it there's nothing you can do about it, but she won't be contagious for another week or so. Can you determine exactly what day was the last your child would have had contact with the affected kids? I would leave her in for 7 days from that time (in the event she be contagious on day 8 and spotty by day 10).

What is the school saying & recommending?

school have said nothing last time our daughter was in contact with class mate was friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

We had the same problem last year only our guy was in preschool, we withdrew him from preschool for 2 weeks and went on our 3 week holiday to France. They never did get the pox. You can't fly until 7 days after the last spot errupts and you need a doctors certain confirming it. We took stuff with us just in case the boys developed spots over there, make sure you have insurance if you don't and your child gets chicken pox on holidays you can't fly back until she is given the all clear and there will be new flights and accommodation to pay, if your insured you should be ok.

• Advertisement

Also there is a chicken pox vaccine, you might have to pay for it though and not all gps stock it.

If it was me I would take her out of school...... They don't do much in the last 2 weeks anyways....

thanks for your reply grindelwald as I say if we weren't going away it wouldn't bother us but am stressed out now did you tell preschool that youwere going away and were taking your child out incase they got them are you entitled to do that with school?

lilypie wrote: »
    thanks for your reply grindelwald as I say if we weren't going away it wouldn't bother us but am stressed out now did you tell preschool that youwere going away and were taking your child out incase they got them are you entitled to do that with school?

I did tell the pre school we were taking him out, told them if we didnt and he caught chicken pox our holidays would be ruined.

Any given child can miss 20 days of school without there being an issue, however if they miss 21 someone gives you a phone call to see why (that would be in later on in the year). My lady missed over 20 days last year due to sickness (she is a diabetic) and one thing and another and we got no phone call! we went on hols to france on the 20th of june last year aswell. Loads of parents take their kids out of school to go on holidays.

If you really want to take her out you would have to infrom them in writing. I for one would not tell them that your withdrawing her because of the threat of chicken pox, i would phrase it in a way where you arent lying, but your not telling them the full story, 'a need to know basis' sort of thing.

Enjoy the hols, where you off to?

supposedly to euro disney swear to god we have saved so hard for hol hv done nothing all year long so we could do this hol group of family members coming too and only we were going they decided to come too dd was only school tour yesterday and one of the little girls has come out in spots yesterday eveing have only jst heard feel sooo stressed am driving hubbie mad can you give us advice on what I say to school any advice would be great thanks

Again, if your daughter has been in contact with the affected kids, it is quite likely that she will contract the pox, and unfortunately if she does get them the spots will emerge right as you're on your hols (and she'll be passing them on to your family too). It's too late for a vaccine.

You can take your child out of school, notify them in writing that you fear she's contracted the virus and you don't want to endanger the rest of the kids. Personally I'm surprised the school hasn't been a bit more pro-active in notifying & advising the parents.

It is truly a horrible situation, and my heart goes out to you. But the longer you keep her in school, the more likely she'll be in contact with someone who was in contact with the initial kids. All the same, if she's already contracted it, or if she gets it between now & end of term, she will possibly become contagious (and break out in the pox) right in the middle of your hols.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice dont knw what to do hopefully by some miracle dd does not get it still don't know what to do about school it a nitemare !

Ayla wrote: »
    You can take your child out of school, notify them in writing that you fear she's contracted the virus and you don't want to endanger the rest of the kids. Personally I'm surprised the school hasn't been a bit more pro-active in notifying & advising the parents.

DO that and there will be no questions asked!

Thats the way to go...

Advertisement