Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of emigrating

Options
  • 14-06-2011 9:22pm

I'm thinking of emigrating to mainland Europe or even Asia to work as an English teacher.
    What sort of tips do people have regarding the entire process? Anything I need to be mindful of before I take the plunge?
    Also, I'm wondering what's the best way to get my property from one place to another? I know I should send it by freight, but I don't know what company I should go with or anything like that.
    I'd really appreciate any information people could give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blsw

These are supposed to be good for moving but I havent used them
    aachener moving

This is a reputable school for doing your CELTA certificate and finding jobs.
    You can study with them in Dublin and all over the world
    International House World > Home

int house Dublin

This forum is very popular among tefl teachers
    Dave's ESL Cafe

This is info for tefl here
    tefl ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peejaykay

Do not even consider emigrating for work ,paid or unpaid . Why ? Because if you return home and don't have a job ,you will have to convince them of your habitual residence. if you need housing you have cut your ties with your home area and will be treated like a Refugee! Sorry but I believe refugees will be treated better. How do I know ? Went away for work the job only lasted nine months ,came straight home the next day and since I have been treated like an Alien , I won't say a foreigner as I do believe they are treated better ,for fear of racism complaints. To lose your job and your home in a foreign country is bad enough ,but to come home and be subjected to thorough degradation ,humilation and contempt by the countries civil and public service (no doubt following departmental orders )
    Signing on ,claiming benefits ,obtaining a medical card and housing is a full time job in itself. No wonder people don't sign off ,once in the system. 100 days of a new government and the citizens of this country are being forced to go back to the 1840's. So much for an indepent sovereign state.
    Now we have others with jobs ,being given other jobs on state bodies and boards ,and the candidates for the presidential election all have a job ,why not one of the 440,000 who don't ! Do not leave because the cead mile failte is not for you on your return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Sorry to hear your predicament peejaykay. I've read other threads where its two years being away that creates the problems. Hopefully other posters will provide info. Perhaps start a new thread. It's worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

peejaykay wrote: »
    Do not even consider emigrating for work ,paid or unpaid . Why ? Because if you return home and don't have a job ,you will have to convince them of your habitual residence. if you need housing you have cut your ties with your home area and will be treated like a Refugee! Sorry but I believe refugees will be treated better. How do I know ? Went away for work the job only lasted nine months ,came straight home the next day and since I have been treated like an Alien , I won't say a foreigner as I do believe they are treated better ,for fear of racism complaints. To lose your job and your home in a foreign country is bad enough ,but to come home and be subjected to thorough degradation ,humilation and contempt by the countries civil and public service (no doubt following departmental orders )
    Signing on ,claiming benefits ,obtaining a medical card and housing is a full time job in itself. No wonder people don't sign off ,once in the system. 100 days of a new government and the citizens of this country are being forced to go back to the 1840's. So much for an indepent sovereign state.
    Now we have others with jobs ,being given other jobs on state bodies and boards ,and the candidates for the presidential election all have a job ,why not one of the 440,000 who don't ! Do not leave because the cead mile failte is not for you on your return.

i agree, i lived in oz for 8yrs desided to come home, it was a nightmare getting sorted, im glad im home now but in some ways i wish i never left all the red tape you have to put up with!! the way i see it if you have a job and a desent life stay!! its not the country thats bad its the fools running it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

But on the other hand traveling makes you appreciate what you got. It's good to work abroad, the contacts you make there may come in handy if you want to start your own business in Ireland in the future.

If you have nothing to lose then go for it. I was here for the last recession, a bored young man mostly on the dole. I don't regret staying but now I'm actually planning on moving abroad again. Not so much because of the economic conditions, but because life is short. I learned from the last recession to always have an emergency fund to fall back on, something that's obviously being learned anew.

What I'm basically saying to the OP is that although there are risks attached to leaving here, there are also great upsides to leaving your comfort zone.

As you probably know Ireland is run for the few at the expense of the many, that hasn't changed. I thought by staying the last time I might actually be a part of a positive change but unfortunately the gombeen culture got too many people thinking that borrowing from tomorrow would never end.

The world is wide, it can be an adventure if you want it to be. Don't waste your youth waiting for Irish government culture to change. You were not born to serve it, it is supposed to serve you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I was abroad for nearly 2 years and when i came back last year i had no problem with this habitual residence, actually when i went to sign on it was never mentioned at all and i had the dole within a few weeks!

Look if people were to think about that not so many people would travel, i say just go for it and enjoy yourself and maybe make a better life for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Do not even consider emigrating for work ,paid or unpaid

So, to sum up your opinion, people should not emigrate because when you decide to return to Ireland, it is apparently difficult to claim the dole, housing allowance and other benefits?? What a superb attitude.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm thinking of emigrating to mainland Europe or even Asia to work as an English teacher.
    What sort of tips do people have regarding the entire process? Anything I need to be mindful of before I take the plunge?
    Also, I'm wondering what's the best way to get my property from one place to another? I know I should send it by freight, but I don't know what company I should go with or anything like that.
    I'd really appreciate any information people could give me.

While I highly recommend living abroad for a while, I would point out the English teaching is a very competitive market, as just about every English speaking college student comes up with this idea. So make sure that your qualifications are the best and don't more without a signed contract.

Jim

Advertisement