Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hope

• 14-06-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

Whether you are on the panel, or are waiting to apply like myself, you are no doubt devastated about the news today. I came home from work to the news.

I felt a sense of dejavu... I was upset, very angry.. hurt.. feeling betrayed even. I thought to myself '' What now? I can't go through this again ''. I felt like the wind had been taken out of my sails. 'Depths of despair' would be a good description.

Now, I'm pretty sure you all felt the same. Anyone who didn't is a liar.

I came close to saying 'I give up'. I then reluctantly dragged my ass off for some fitness work in the rain (why does it always raaain on me?).

During training, alone in a park and soaked to the bone.. I think I had the closest thing to a revelation in some time;

I've wanted to be a Garda since I was in primary school. I went through secondary school waiting patiently, doing a Leaving Cert I had zero interest in. Since then, I've had my ups and downs.. a bad few years really. I've come this far, I've faced down many adversities.. I've come close to giving up, I've wept, I've raged and I've almost lost hope.

But I've never given up. I've come this far; I've waited this long. So have you.

I think it is fitting, maybe a tad cheesy, but also appropriate to use this quote.. because there will be days where we feel like throwing in the towel.. there will be some good days.. there will be many bad days. But we wont give up! If ever there was a time time for these 3 words, I would think it is now:

'Is feidir linn'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

eroo wrote: »
    Whether you are on the panel, or are waiting to apply like myself, you are no doubt devastated about the news today. I came home from work to the news.

I felt a sense of dejavu... I was upset, very angry.. hurt.. feeling betrayed even. I thought to myself '' What now? I can't go through this again ''. I felt like the wind had been taken out of my sails. 'Depths of despair' would be a good description.

Now, I'm pretty sure you all felt the same. Anyone who didn't is a liar.

I came close to saying 'I give up'. I then reluctantly dragged my ass off for some fitness work in the rain (why does it always raaain on me?).

During training, alone in a park and soaked to the bone.. I think I had the closest thing to a revelation in some time;

I've wanted to be a Garda since I was in primary school. I went through secondary school waiting patiently, doing a Leaving Cert I had zero interest in. Since then, I've had my ups and downs.. a bad few years really. I've come this far, I've faced down many adversities.. I've come close to giving up, I've wept, I've raged and I've almost lost hope.

But I've never given up. I've come this far; I've waited this long. So have you.

I think it is fitting, maybe a tad cheesy, but also appropriate to use this quote.. because there will be days where we feel like throwing in the towel.. there will be some good days.. there will be many bad days. But we wont give up! If ever there was a time time for these 3 words, I would think it is now:

'Is feidir linn'

Fiar play to you...

Im not on the panel myself but with an attitude like that you and the rest of the people on the panel deserve to walk through the gates of templemore for the commitment , time and and impeccable patience that all of you are showing.

The attitude and commitment you and the rest of the patient people on the panel have shown to An Garda Síochána and the country should be applauded.

I wish everyone on the panel the very best for the future and ye all deserve to be invited to become members of An Garda Síochána for the outstanding strengths that yourself among everyone on the panel have shown...

Tommy-Kerry :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yeah, I'm with TK. Good attitude, good outlook, good positivity and generally a good post all things considered. It's people like you who will make it, even though it'll take longer than originally thought.

If you haven't already, start learning a few laws, or the criminal justice process, or the RTA, the HRA, the Constitution, etc. There's no shortage of things to learn. Pretend you already have the job, and get the head into some books that you'll need to know once you're in.

Liking the energy.

A few people could do with feeding off that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

Good post.

Dis-heartening news for sure but what's getting me through this is knowing I'll get in eventually, as recruitment will start again, it's only a question of time. Which I have.

Even allowing for worst case scenario, the panel is scrapped. We've been there, done that with regard to the process, so that is a big advantage. Cautious consideration is all I'm giving that thought at the moment because as far as I'm concerned, we're all still just waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not on the panel at the moment but I am keeping my head up. Two years is a long time, but I plan in them to years too advance myself in many ways and upskill myself and make myself a better candidate.

In these two years firstly I will be at a better age not too young and not too old. I can get my Irish and Maths in order, have a full license at the moment and have just joined the Order Of Malta to get some EFR training which I think will be an asset too myself , AGS and members of the public. Maybe even try a basic lifeguard course or water safety course. As said , learn some basic laws and find out what's what.

Like Eroo, It feels like my calling.

Advertisement