Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deck Damage on 21ft dory

Options
  • 14-06-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I have a 21ft dory, now the deck seems to have had a square taken out at some time with some plywood placed over it instead(awful patch just hope water has not got in :( ) Seeing as this could be a big job would it be best to get it done professionally? and if so Where? I live in the galway area. Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Call Galway bay marine works LTD on 0858071479 they should be able to help you out, or if you want to have a go at doing it your self have a look at dnme's post "A restoration tale" he is about to do the same type of hole in his boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mikesvr6

Thanks for the reply. Have you had dealings with them before? I'll be giving them a call later on. My only problem is time really i've relations coming over in july and the work needed seems to grow everyday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

mikesvr6 wrote: »
    I have a 21ft dory, now the deck seems to have had a square taken out at some time with some plywood placed over it instead(awful patch just hope water has not got in :( ) Seeing as this could be a big job would it be best to get it done professionally? and if so Where? I live in the galway area. Thank you

any pics mikesvr6 ???

Not having the best of times with several different places i've contacted.

I don't know if the job is too small or what but its very frustrating when you talk to someone about the boat and the things needed to do then all of a sudden contact is stopped calls, emails and texts go unanswered.

Not going to name and shame but one place promised to come out to view the boat to get a clearer idea of the project, this meant i took a day of work to be there to meet him and he turns out to be a no show. I swear its like they don't want my money.
    I'll try and get some pics up in the next day or two, some advice might be needed if i end up doing the project myself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry to hear that, I have never used the ones I gave you the number of just though they might help. I,m a bit too far away to do it for you but if you get some photos up I am sure I could talk you through it, fiberglassing can seem a bit daunting but once you have the mix right it's just like paper mache.:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, i'm talking to another place now so i'll see how they do.
    One other problem i have now is that i don't trust the trailer for a long drive 30miles so i was thinking of hiring a car transporter to bring the lot in... What do you think?

It might be hard to keep it balanced even with straps and blocks also loading and unloading could be tricky but it can be done. Is there nowhere you could get a lone of a trailer now that most boats are in the water sailing clubs and boat yards are full of them. I know "indespension trailers" here in Dublin rent out boat trailers but not sure if they have a place near you.
    Are you worried about the trailer itself or the wheel bearings you might be able to get it welded up and new bearings for the price of renting one.

Biggest problem i have with it is that i don't know the weight of the boat( it could be waterlogged) The wheels are independant of each other welded via a leaf spring setup. The springs don't look great although it is distributed over four of them... I'll have another look sure i might chance it in. Thanks, i'll check out for some boat trailers that fit the boat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Not having the best of times with several different places i've contacted.

I don't know if the job is too small or what but its very frustrating when you talk to someone about the boat and the things needed to do then all of a sudden contact is stopped calls, emails and texts go unanswered.

Not going to name and shame but one place promised to come out to view the boat to get a clearer idea of the project, this meant i took a day of work to be there to meet him and he turns out to be a no show. I swear its like they don't want my money.
    I'll try and get some pics up in the next day or two, some advice might be needed if i end up doing the project myself.

There's a boat / marine seller in Boyle. I went to him asking if he had any parts / chandelry etc. He told me to do a list up for him which I did. Went back to him twice, on each occasion he was bemused to see me and eventually said "if you want me, you're gonna have to chase me".

Then I went to Lomax Marine in Mullaghmore. I started out by emailing them. No reply, so I phoned, answering machine - left message, never got back to me. I got in my car and went up there. Place was closed for the afternoon, there were a couple there in the yard working on their boat who told me. I rang them again from the car, left a message and gues what, they never got back to me.

Here's the point!
    Walk away from these people. They don't deserve our custom. If they're not treating you badly, they're ripping you off.
    Do it yourself, there are great resources available to you free, Youtube, Forums, Free online books all dealing specifically with what you are attempting. Think of it as a great new learning curve. At the end of it, you'll have a new skill, a great boat and a fuller wallet.

These muppets who think they're in business ???? walk away!

I have the boat in at a yard now for repair finally someone showed interest and enthusiasm in the project...well apart from my myself! Ill keep you all informed of the good and/or bad parts of the repair! Not sure if i should name the place yet so i'll wait till the job is finished. Thanks for your replies.

• Advertisement

Good news, will be in to have a look at the boat tomorrow got the day off. It should be finished by the evening so will try to post photos of the pre and post repair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 highs

Good news, will be in to have a look at the boat tomorrow got the day off. It should be finished by the evening so will try to post photos of the pre and post repair!

Hi
    Im new to this site i see a company named above from galway. I use or rather my boat club and i use these guys.
    I grounded my 28foot boat of co.Clare ,
    it sank painstakingly slow to the bottom . the guys raised it from the sea floor got it on the trailor completed the mamoth job of repairing a 4foot gash x 13 inches wide in the hull. They repaired engine it went down while i left it running,
    I feel strong in the defence of these guys as the have done several callouts for me and majority of guys in the boat club. These people are on the scene for a while. I now have a 23foot cuddy in need of repair hull damage floor , steering ..........alot of work to be honest. i would have no hesitation in getting them to do it for me. They are always at the other end of the phone.
    This is just my humble opinion not an advertising ploy buissiness generating message of looking for a price reduction on work to be done. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

how did this repair end up? Very interested in sourcing a good diesel mechanic for inboard engine repair in Galway

Advertisement