Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No recruitment campaign scheduled for 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

M2010 wrote: »
    I'm waiting to hear back from lothian & boarders as well.

Good luck with your application M2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

Thanks grad10. All the best with your application too. It's my first time applying for a force. Fingers crossed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 murphy2

grad10 wrote: »
    I'll PM you now gigity. Information of their recruitment process can be found on the website, and one other thing I will say is they are ALOT more into fitness! So if you're thinking about it get running and start strengthening your upper body for the push pull now!!

Any chance you could PM me any info/details about d recruitment process too please, looking into strathclyde in particular myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

I was speaking to a guy from the hr department of the PSNI who stated that they NEED full time officers but they don't know when they will be running a campaign. Real dishearting to know that they need numbers but they aren't recruiting.

No need to recruit as there were people from the last campaign that made the grade but the freeze in recruitment hit them - I know I was waiting on a call to start - still waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

1967J wrote: »
    No need to recruit as there were people from the last campaign that made the grade but the freeze in recruitment hit them - I know I was waiting on a call to start - still waiting

You will have to hope the PSNI dont have the same time limit issue as the Met Police. Those who pass the tests are placed on a list but only for two years, they have to re apply after that.

• Advertisement

Goonerdee wrote: »
    You will have to hope the PSNI dont have the same time limit issue as the Met Police. Those who pass the tests are placed on a list but only for two years, they have to re apply after that.

I understood that there was a year limit but could be wrong - TBH not expecting a call with the current climate - but would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

What I wouldnt give to get a call............................................

In the mean time I will dream on! :)

What I wouldnt give to get a call............................................

In the mean time I will dream on! :)

You and me both lol

I'd do some hours for free if I thought it would have got me in!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Hey, I ain't been on here in some time! Since I failed in the last campaign in 2010 actually.. Can't believe there's still no plans for recruitment :( anyone know of any UK force which is currently recruiting? Or know of ROUGHLY when PSNI might be recruiting again? I managed to forget about my dream job for the past year or so but can't hold it in any longer! Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Last word of any sort I heard was that no more recruitment until Desertcreat is up and running ( if it ever gets built ) so on that basis I would have to be doubtful of any recruitment drive until 2014 at the earliest.

2014 is a year and a half away! Have they started doing anything at Desertcreat yet?

Last I heard was that not only has the first sod yet to be turned but the ' minor ' matter of Planning Permission has still to be finalised.
    It has been promised for years and still nothing has happened , it has got the ' go ahead ' though quite why the PSNI decide to go with it after the end of accelerated recruitment is beyond me.

Hey, I ain't been on here in some time! Since I failed in the last campaign in 2010 actually.. Can't believe there's still no plans for recruitment :( anyone know of any UK force which is currently recruiting? Or know of ROUGHLY when PSNI might be recruiting again? I managed to forget about my dream job for the past year or so but can't hold it in any longer! Lol.

Hi wannabe welcome back! I remember you! Get on the Internet and check for other forces recruiting, I know there were quite a few Scottish ones on the go last month but they may have closed. I couldn't wait any longer either, got completed fed up with the rumours of when PSNI would be recruiting again, and personally don't think it will be anytime soon so I applied for Lothian and Borders in Edinburgh back in November and am now just waiting on my final force panel interview date! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 murphy2

Hey grad10,
    I am in the middle of filling out my application for the Grampian police force in Aberdeen, really struggling with the diversity question though, how did you find it?
    How long did it take before you found out if your application had been accepted?

murphy2 wrote: »
    Hey grad10,
    I am in the middle of filling out my application for the Grampian police force in Aberdeen, really struggling with the diversity question though, how did you find it?
    How long did it take before you found out if your application had been accepted?

Hi murphy2, I just checked my application form there and as I thought, there was no diversity question for the L&B application! Just ones about teamwork, communication, flexibility and additional skills.

Checked my emails for you too for a rough time line, it was actually end of September I submitted my application, heard back exactly 1 month later an was invited to the SET early Nov, my fitness assessment was less than 3 weeks later at the end of Nov.. and then this is were my application slightly differs! ..I failed my fitness assessment and was told I had to wait 12 months to re-apply. Then in February I was contacted and told I was invited to a Female Fitness Awareness Event. Basically they had a lack of females and if I attended this event, did the fitness assessments again and proved my fitness had substantially improved, I would get a golden ticket and be allowed to re-apply then (as they had opened recruitment again) rather than having to wait a year. So I did this and passed. I then had to go back over to do it officially after submitting my 2nd application (didn't have to do the SET again), passed and progressed to the next stages.

So that was a massive hold up for me, would be in Tulliallan and all now if I had of passed the first time! But completely my own fault, it clearly says on the application you should be able to meet the fitness criteria before you submit your application, I didn't give myself enough time.

So my advice to you is get running now if you don't already! They are a lot more into and serious about fitness. If I pass my force panel interview I have to do the same run again and better my time from my passed fitness assessment before they hand me my start date letter! Plus it also cost me an extra fortune going back and forth!

I believe the sargeant said L&B is the only Scottish force that does the push/pull, believe it or not simply because there are not enough machines! Apparently all the ones at the training college are broke too! So if you are male this should be a good thing as a lot of males failed because of it, whereas the females failed more because of the run (we only have to push and pull 39kg whereas the boys are 69kg).

Good luck with your application!

Another thing I forgot to mention, check Grampian's criteria on the amount of applications/ time periods you have to wait. Lothian have a 3 strike rule, only 3 applications to ANY force allowed. I had already applied to PSNI twice so after I failed my fitness assessment I thought I was out. All forces have different rules, Tayside were then recruiting, I contacted them and they said they treat everyone as an individual, doesn't matter how many times you've applied before and there's no time period you have to wait. So I submitted an application to them. Thankfully it hadn't been processed by the time L&B rang me back about going back over, so I just withdrew my application from Tayside (for L&B you can't be in for 2 forces at the one time). The reason I got away with this technically being my fourth application to a police force is because of the old PSNI 50/50 rule, I reached the merit pool in my second application and there's therefore a chance I could have been recruited if it wasn't for my religion, so they didn't count that.

Hi wannabe welcome back! I remember you! Get on the Internet and check for other forces recruiting, I know there were quite a few Scottish ones on the go last month but they may have closed. I couldn't wait any longer either, got completed fed up with the rumours of when PSNI would be recruiting again, and personally don't think it will be anytime soon so I applied for Lothian and Borders in Edinburgh back in November and am now just waiting on my final force panel interview date! :)

I mind you as well :) good to hear that you've got some hope of some sort of force.. Gah, wish I'd known about that recruitment :( there's that many police forces in England/Scotland/Wales though that it's hard to keep up with who's recruiting when.. wonder if there's any recruiting at the mo(?) do you have to go over to Edinburgh back n forth for the interviews and assessments aye?

See, I'd love to do that in a way, but I also dunno if I'd be able to just uprout my life like that, have no friends over there n have to sort somewhere to live etc - bit scary.. suppose you gotta take risks though..

sick of waitin for the PSNI to recruit again, and as Delancy says, it probably will not be for a very long time, and even then, they'd probably only recruit like 50 or something :( I just have the same old story as everyone, hate my job and just so desperately want into the police like I've always done since I was like 5 lol, started to feel like it's never going to happen :(

Just noticed from your posts that Aberdeen police are recruiting!! It doesn't say a closing date though?! Can anyone advise? :)

So are Strathclyde! And Dumfries & Galloway!

• Advertisement

there's that many police forces in England/Scotland/Wales though that it's hard to keep up with who's recruiting when.. wonder if there's any recruiting at the mo(?)

Check out the Home Office website called '' Police... could you ? '' until recently at least it listed all forces and their recruitment status .

Who knows the situation regarding PSNI recruitment - last class in Garnerville were told that the next recruit class would be in Desertcreat and were this to hold true then indeed recruitment is a long way off, however things can change so don't completely write off the PSNI .

I suspect that the Audit Commission report into the vexed question of Jobs for the Boys sorry , ahem .... rehiring of Ex-Police , will prove to be a serious embarrasment to PSNI management ( and deservedly so ), this may result in those contracts not being renewed and thus create demand for new officers - just my take on it ?

I have little doubt all the hiring in Scotland is linked to the decision to merge the forces there.

Delancey wrote: »
    I have little doubt all the hiring in Scotland is linked to the decision to merge the forces there.

The last time I was over at L&B the question was asked how many jobs were available and the Recruitment Sargent's response was that he is hiring to cover retirement (and dismissal's/resignations) which at the minute is approximately 9 per month, and also to create a pool of people to dip into after that because they are way behind due to the recruitment freeze. He didn't mention the Scottish merger.
    This is why I can't understand how the PSNI aren't recruiting.

This is why I can't understand how the PSNI aren't recruiting.

Patten set the PSNI strenght at 7500 , this allowed for a larger force than comparable force areas across the water of similar geographic size and population distribution , Patten said this variance was to accomodate '' legacy issues '' ( we all know what he meant by that ).
    Last intake brought force strenght up to that magical number and at the same time the magic target of 30% RC representation was reached - seems that the impetus for anything happening has vanished.

Completed the application form for the Scottish Police but I'm in two minds as to what to do.. My first choice would be Aberdeen but it would cost like £250 each time I go over, which would be about 5 times for the tests. So it would have to be Dumfries, which would be about £75 per time, but I'm not sure I'd be suited to, or enjoy, such 'small-town' style Policing. That and my partner of over 6 years will not leave our hometown. Ever. But I'm worried that this kinda chance won't come around again... literally going around in circles here lol driving me mentallllllll! Anyone got any advice? Ha..

Completed the application form for the Scottish Police but I'm in two minds as to what to do.. My first choice would be Aberdeen but it would cost like £250 each time I go over, which would be about 5 times for the tests. So it would have to be Dumfries, which would be about £75 per time, but I'm not sure I'd be suited to, or enjoy, such 'small-town' style Policing. That and my partner of over 6 years will not leave our hometown. Ever. But I'm worried that this kinda chance won't come around again... literally going around in circles here lol driving me mentallllllll! Anyone got any advice? Ha..

If ever I was tempted to join a Scottish force, Dumfries and Galloway would have been my first choice. I might have a look at the process. My problem however is with the volunteer group I'm with now. I'm loving every minute of it and the people I work with are fantastic, I don't want to give it up. It now influences my decision. My urge to join any police force has been dampened to that I am willing to look at other branches of the Emergency Services, as long as their local. So I will hold out for the PSNI, for now.

Someone told me once. Flip a coin, and if you are hoping for one side to come up you know what your decision is!

Other branches of the emergency services? Like Fire Service etc? I applied for fire service but couldn't meet the standard of the bleep test, only missed it by like 4 bleeps :( doubt they'll be recruiting for a longgggg time now.. and PSNI def won't be til at least 2015 I'd say, and at that, they'll probably only be taking on like 50 people or so... by the time I get in, I'll be like mid-30s.. which I really don't want..

Yeah, that's a great thing to do, I use that method too, but I'm trying to ignore the answer in my head haha :(

P.S. Central Scotland also recruiting.. so that's Grampian, Dumfries and Galloway, Strathclyde, and Central Scotland..

My first choice would be Aberdeen but it would cost like £250 each time I go over, which would be about 5 times for the tests. So it would have to be Dumfries, which would be about £75 per time, but I'm not sure I'd be suited to, or enjoy, such 'small-town' style Policing.

To a large extent your choice will soon be irrelevant - the proposed merger of all Scottish forces will mean you could serve anywhere.

Delancey wrote: »
    To a large extent your choice will soon be irrelevant - the proposed merger of all Scottish forces will mean you could serve anywhere.

If you pass all recruitment stages before the merger you will still be based in the force area you original joined. You may be asked to move and there will be more opportunities for you to do so but you don't have to. Join after the merger and yes it will be a different story.

• Advertisement

Other branches of the emergency services? Like Fire Service etc?

Would you be interested in the Ambulance Service? Keep an eye on www.hscrecruit.com for vacancies with them, I'm on the waiting list for the Paramedic In Training programme, and just did my final interview for the Emergency Medical Dispatcher post. Did you apply for the Prison Service when it came out? These are my fall backs if I don't get Edinburgh and have to wait on the PSNI a few (more) years!

Advertisement