Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No recruitment campaign scheduled for 2012

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

A guy I work with went for Prison Officer, absolutely gutted that I didn't see it advertised :( think he's well through the stages atm, lookin good for him.. Ambulance service? So you don't need any like medicine-type qualifications or anything?! I'm really thinkin about Central Scotland now, Stirling-kinda region.. but.. ahh I just dunno if I could uproot my life.. but I look on every (yes every single one) of the UK police service websites.. one English (Surrey) is recruiting and 4 Scottish are recruiting.. every other one says "not a hope in hell" pretty much and "not in the foreseeable future" etc so it feels like this is almost the last chance?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

I was talking to a policeman outside a club I was in last night and he said that he had heard rumours a few times now going around his station that PSNI are looking to start recruitment at Christmas time!

I don't know how likely that is, but that's what is going around his station.

*Fingers crossed* that it's true.

That would be awesome but, I dunno, I've asked loads of coppers n they've said that there's not much chance for at least another couple years.. although all the English forces' websites that I checked out said on their last update (which was when recruitment froze in 2010) that there would be nothing until the end of 2012 at least.. so maybe there's some similarity here(?)

Starting to think I should just hold out for PSNI as well cuz, afterall, you only do get 3 strikes now and then you can't ever apply again.. which is pretty disgusting imho.. how is that right like?! I've already got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Starting to think I should just hold out for PSNI as well cuz, afterall, you only do get 3 strikes now and then you can't ever apply again.. which is pretty disgusting imho.. how is that right like?! I've already got one.

Not every force has this rule wannabe. PSNI certainly don't (or didn't in previous campaigns). Who knows what the recruitment process will be like when they finally do start recruiting again though.

A guy I work with went for Prison Officer, absolutely gutted that I didn't see it advertised :( think he's well through the stages atm, lookin good for him.. Ambulance service? So you don't need any like medicine-type qualifications or anything?! I'm really thinkin about Central Scotland now, Stirling-kinda region.. but.. ahh I just dunno if I could uproot my life.. but I look on every (yes every single one) of the UK police service websites.. one English (Surrey) is recruiting and 4 Scottish are recruiting.. every other one says "not a hope in hell" pretty much and "not in the foreseeable future" etc so it feels like this is almost the last chance?!

Shame you didn't see it :( It was all over the news because it's their first campaign in so long - you must have been really busy that week! To be honest I don't even know if I want it, not great pay for what you're doing, and I wanna catch the bad guys and get them off the streets, not lock them up and have to spend all day looking after them! So I'll have to have a serious think about it if I get offered it, should hear in a few weeks.

As for the ambulance service, obviously for certain roles you will need qualifications, but the likes of the paramedic training programme, it was a 2 year paid training course for a paramedic, and for the emergency dispatcher one I just did knowledge of medical terminology was desirable but not essential, and it's the same pay as the prison service. So it's worth keeping an eye out. There was an ambulance attendant role advertised a few months back too which I missed!

You decided if you're gonna go for Scotland yet or just wait for PSNI? Edinburgh is still my first choice out of the 3 jobs I'm in for, although it is tempting to maybe take one of the others and just wait for PSNI, uprooting is not an easy decision or an easy thing to do! But then I also have to remind myself that just because the PSNI will start recruiting again eventually.. still doesn't mean I will get in!!

• Advertisement

As I'm currently going through the application process for Lothian and Borders, I was thinking that it would be beneficial to try and get in contact with the folk that used to run the day courses for applicants for the PSNI, in order to improve their chances of getting in. I figure trying to get some help like that would benefit me to some degree no matter what police force I am applying for.

Obviously PSNI is my main goal, but if I can get into a force else where and transfer, I would gladly do it.

It might be a long shot, but does anyone know who ran the one day police officer recruitment courses over here when the PSNI had live campaigns? As I have not applied for the PSNI before I have no idea who actually operated the day classes I am speaking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

M2010 wrote: »
    As I'm currently going through the application process for Lothian and Borders, I was thinking that it would be beneficial to try and get in contact with the folk that used to run the day courses for applicants for the PSNI, in order to improve their chances of getting in. I figure trying to get some help like that would benefit me to some degree no matter what police force I am applying for.

Obviously PSNI is my main goal, but if I can get into a force else where and transfer, I would gladly do it.

It might be a long shot, but does anyone know who ran the one day police officer recruitment courses over here when the PSNI had live campaigns? As I have not applied for the PSNI before I have no idea who actually operated the day classes I am speaking off.

Mod Note - answers by PM only please. Don't post contact details for recruitment service providers. Thanks

Sorry Delancey, I should have known to say that myself! Yeah folks, I'd be grateful if anyone could PM me if they could help me out :D

Yeah Grad10, the PSNI didn't have that rule but was that not just cuz it was under Patten.. if they recruit again, it will have the 3 strike rule.. as far as I understand anyway(?) Be great if not though! So far I ain't seen any that don't have the 3 strike but I ain't been lookin too closely I guess..

Yeah when it was on I think I was workin like 60 hours a week for a few weeks.. so was just eatin workin n sleepin really :(

Will have to look out for amb. service then Grad, it's just on that hscrecruit thing yeah? The ones that have little mini courses desireable - where do you do those courses and any idea of pricing?

Funily enough I had a dream last night about it all (I know, Police on the flipping brain!!).. I was in my old school and there was a Police information day on, and the police man handed me a form that said "I know it's long, I know it's tough, but hold out and you'll get it eventually".. so maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me to wait for PSNI.. who knows.. still keep gettin bursts of wantin to go for Scotland cuz I'm terrified it's the last chance (a lot of Police services are now saying that they may only recruit from PCSO's and not to the public in future campaigns!!!!!) but I really doubt I could leave my partner cuz I know 100% that I won't be followed lol. Same thoughts as you though Grad, even if the PSNI recruit again, it'll probably only be for like 50 jobs or something, which doesn't give a good chance out of the usual 10k applicants :|

M2010, can you send me info on those training things as well please? :)

yeah wannabe, if anyone sends me any details I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

Was doing some reading there.. am I the only one to not know that Desertcreat was actually approved in 2004 and expected to open for new recruits in 2008, but was pushed forward to 2009......... and now we're excited that recruitment may open in 2015 when desertcreat is supposed to be built and in operation... hmm.. wouldn't hold my breath methinks(?)

Yeah Desertcreat has been buzzing around for years - Patten was scathing about Garnerville when comparing it to places like Templemore or Hendon. For a time there was talk about the government in the Republic contributing a significant proportion of the cost ( not a chance of that ever happening now with the IMF running the show ).
    When it was announced that Desertcreat had the go ahead I remember the president of the local Chamber of Commerce while welcoming the news was very cautious and pretty much said '' we'll celebrate when it actually gets built '' .
    Norn Iron has an unhappy history of cost overruns on big public building projects and I wonder might this play on minds ?

Building it at a time of sharply reduced recruitment simply makes no sense and all the talk of the FBI using the facilities is pure and utter nonsense.

Yeah pretty dumb idea to build that when they can't even recruit like.. I dunno... looks like the ship has sailed for me :( off to work I go :(

EMAIL MESSAGE FROM ME:
    This is probably a very repetitive message for you but I was just wondering if there is ANY news AT ALL about recruitment? Cuz the "latest news" on your home page is that there will be no recruitment in 2011.

EMAIL MESSAGE FROM PSNI:
    There is no recruitment scheduled for 2012, it is likely to be 2013/2014 at the earliest before PSNI return to the external market

Kind regards
    External appointments.

I note the reference to the '' external market '' which implies people can still transfer in from other UK forces.

This is where the residency rules bite people in the ass - clearly nothing will move for at least a couple of years but in the meantime if somebody decides to go travelling or work abroad while waiting for recruitment to begin they will disqualify themselves by having lived abroad in the previous 3 years - killer !

Yeah I noticed that.. that's probably how they're keeping evens with any retirement etc at the moment.. although I haven't seen it officially advertised... well everybody, there's your answer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

The PSNI's current policing plan and budgeting lasts until 2014. I can't see them making any adjustments to it, no matter how the security situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hi Wanabe2010 - I haven't been on here for a while - when you said your workmate is well trhough the prison service recruitment, how far through?

I ask because I have passed the initial test and been for the assessment centre - not heard anything since that, but it wasn't that long ago.

I guess i'm just impatient - been trying to get on of these jobs for too long!

I was going to apply for fire service, but my eyesight would not have been good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hi Grad10 - same question as above - have you heard anything since assessment centre?

If I was going to go to another uk force it would definitely have to be Edinburgh - love it there - though it would not be easy to convince all of the family that we should move.

wanadrum wrote: »
    Hi Grad10 - same question as above - have you heard anything since assessment centre?

If I was going to go to another uk force it would definitely have to be Edinburgh - love it there - though it would not be easy to convince all of the family that we should move.

Hi wanadrum, no haven't heard anything since my AC either. Keep an eye on the NIPS thread in the 'Other Emergency Service' forum, good few posters on there in the same boat!

• Advertisement

wanadrum wrote: »
    Hi Wanabe2010 - I haven't been on here for a while - when you said your workmate is well trhough the prison service recruitment, how far through?

I ask because I have passed the initial test and been for the assessment centre - not heard anything since that, but it wasn't that long ago.

I guess i'm just impatient - been trying to get on of these jobs for too long!

I was going to apply for fire service, but my eyesight would not have been good enough.

We do different shifts so I never really see him but from what I've heard he's just done his AC a couple weeks back and is waiting on word.. He thought he wasn't getting invited to AC cuz it took soooooo long to hear from the initial test, so I would say that maybe on this stage also 'no news is good news' mate :)

A gentle reminder - Folks , there are threads relating to recruitment to NIPS and Scottish Police over on the Other Emergency Services Recruitment forum here. Cheers and thanks.

Advertisement