Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to upgrade first?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭

Hi!

At the moment I'm running:

Core 2 E6750 (2.66GHz)
    6 GB DDR2 RAM
    Radeon 4850

The plan is to upgrade to something like:

i5 2500 (+ motherboard obviously)
    4-8GB DDR3 RAM
    Radeon 6850

As I'll need a new PSU as well, to spread the costs a bit I'm going to upgrade in two stages - one is the CPU+RAM and Mobo, and the other stage is the GPU and the PSU.

The question is: Would I benefit more from upgrading the graphics card first, or the CPU/RAM/Mobo first? There's going to be a couple of months between the upgrade stages.

I mainly use the PC for gaming, 1680x1050 resolution. Budget is around 600-700 for the whole lot, including PSU. Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 6850 is not a whole lot more powerful than the 4850, I'd say CPU etc first. Also, get the 2500K and a P67 or Z68 board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You'll have to upgrade the RAM/CPU/Mobo at the same time. As Mono said, the 6850 isn't a significant jump from the 4850, so I'd wait a year to see what sort of GPU is out then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kvklay

You can not upgrade only CPU at first. Different socket connection with your old motherboard. Upgrade CPU/RAM/Mobo at first. If you think this doesn't spread the cost, buy CPU, waiting the second stages, buy Mobo and so on.
    How about your PSU ? have you checked the output voltage ? better you check the condition, cause sometimes its voltage becomes lowersignature_image1uk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

My PSU should be fine until I get a new graphics card. I'll just get the CPU+Mobo+RAM first and think about the graphics card sometime later. 2500k and P67 sound good. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kvklay

I think that would be great

• Advertisement
Advertisement