Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New VW Jetta

• 14-06-2011 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

I'm not dissing this car, but what is the point of it?

db2010au00678mediumopt-1276616263.jpg

At 4640 mm in length, it is treading dangerously on the coattails of the Passat.

I have to say though, I sat in one at the RDS motorshow and the interior is very nice:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx_3Fz9sjBketNSUSdBDRU8f2hninGkky3t9lbbbhpe1vr1R-wTg&t=1

I also think the exterior is very clean and classy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hmm well.

You wont get the leather, you wont get the Sat Nav, you wont get the Start button, you wont get rear electric windows, nor will you get heated mirrors as standard so find a REAL Jetta and see again.

Also there is no MSFW like the current and 2010 Passat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont understand it at all.
    Its a reasonably nice car but priced much too near the passat. Id say cost to own over 3 years would be almost identical to a passat. Why not get a Passat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Competition for the Exeo/Octavia on the continent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

godtabh wrote: »
    Any price?

€21,985 (1.2 TSI 105bhp) - €30,055 (2.0 TDI DSG 140bhp).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

staker wrote: »
    Competition for the Exeo/Octavia on the continent?

Big seller in the US more like. I have to admit - in a decent spec it's a v nice looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

pburns wrote: »
    Big seller in the US more like. I have to admit - in a decent spec it's a v nice looking car.

plus in the US they get the GLI (probably nicer than any volvo ever made -red rag to bull lol- :D )

2012-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLI-rear.jpg

2012-Jetta-GLI-Dallas-Texas-2.jpg

(wheels change a must lol )
    2012-volkswagen-jetta-gli-front-high-preview.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

tossy wrote: »
    plus in the US they get the GLI

The US also gets cheaper interiors, "made in America" (so even lower than usual VW build quality), far less sophisticated suspension (non independent), though they do get a nice sounding five cylinder engine as the mid range option, which should be far more reliable than the TSI yokes as it is not terribly sophisticated so there is nothing to go wrong with it and hydraulic (rather than electric) power steering:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

tossy wrote: »
    plus in the US they get the GLI (probably nicer than any volvo ever made -red rag to bull lol- :D )

Yeah, yeah, yeah....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Ok, the previous one was fine for those who wanted a Golf with the boot space like of a Passat but this one's really just a cock-up to be honest, I'd rather buy a used Passat and be happy rather than spending my money on buying something that wants to be one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is this kinda like the boxster-carrera thing? anytime i see a boxster here i think of JC saying " its a good car, but it just advertises the fact your life hasn't turned out, quite as good as you were expecting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Hmm well.

You wont get the leather, you wont get the Sat Nav, you wont get the Start button, you wont get rear electric windows, nor will you get heated mirrors as standard so find a REAL Jetta and see again.

Also there is no MSFW like the current and 2010 Passat.

Actually it does get alot of the basics you mentioned above even on the entry level model, a Trendline Jetta is still better equipped than a Trendline Golf.

Here is the entry level Jetta:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201116202059024

I think the Jetta's problem like the Bora and Vento before it, is that it is too close in price and size to the Passat. Even more so now because while globally the new Jetta model has grown in size along with the US Passat, here in Europe the Passat we get hasn't made the same jump being just a heavily revised old model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

It isn't half bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

They got recalled for something you never could've thought of:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/12/2011-2012-vw-jetta-models-recalled-over-excessively-long-exh/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That looks awful, acres of awful black plastic looks like something the came out of Korea in the 90`s.

Yes but every Paddy will be mad for them in the basic spec for a reason I dont know. That one has only a 1.2 TSI engine, thats very underpowered for a family saloon imo.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Yes but every Paddy will be mad for them in the basic spec for a reason I dont know. That one has only a 1.2 TSI engine, thats very underpowered for a family saloon imo.

In fairness 105bhp from a 1.2 litre engine isn't bad considering it replaced a 1.4 with only 80bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

bazz26 wrote: »
    In fairness 105bhp from a 1.2 litre engine isn't bad considering it replaced a 1.4 with only 80bhp.

I know but is it not asking a lot on a small engine. Its works well in a Polo/Fabia but in a car that size I think its a bit much??

Maybe I am wrong.

Time will tell I guess but the 1.4 Tsi 122bhp in the Golf/Passat has proved generally trouble free so far. The 170bhp version has been far from reliable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont understand it at all.
    Its a reasonably nice car but priced much too near the passat. Id say cost to own over 3 years would be almost identical to a passat. Why not get a Passat?

You mean what's the point of paying extra for the boat like Passat now the Jetta is almost the same size / look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

If it was priced 2k -2.5k less in Ireland it would be relevant and therefore sell. Way overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

It's a classy looking car, I would not be ashamed to have that sitting in my driveway. Interior looks a little too plastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Parents have the 1.6tdi and I drove it.

Don't like it at all. No torque in it as far as I'm concerned. No point having a diesel without torque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Slidey wrote: »
    Parents have the 1.6tdi and I drove it.

Don't like it at all. No torque in it as far as I'm concerned. No point having a diesel without torque
    It's more petrol like ;)

I have to be honest, I've driven a lot of cars lately (hired ones) and every last one of them has been a disappointment.

The diesels are becoming more like petrol engines in how they drive, lacking torque and any kind of entertainment and petrol cars are just the stripped out basic models.

I've driven the new Jetta and found very little to like over my own Passat.

The new Ford S-macks was the car for last weekend and I hated it. Powerful diesel that delivered the power at all the wrong times and it was full of shiney gimmicks that were a pain to use and very distracting and completely spoiled what is a good car underneath.

Sorry for the bit of a rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Rentals. ..have you had a new Meriva???

I had a 1.6T... T for teppid, and what are though aluminium things along the console all about?

Advertisement