Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert and College at 17... too young?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I was 17 for the full first year of college and only turned 18 in July. Was easy to get into pubs where the class parties were on but I looked 15 and didn't have an id to say I was 18 let's say.

I doubt anyone decent wouldn't be friendly towards you because you're 17..

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I was 16 doing the Leaving and only turned 17 in the December of my first year at college (started young and also skipped a year at primary level).
    Too young IMO and now that I'm older and wiser (ha!) I have made sure that my kids start school later and will be in no rush out of there.

You'll be almost 18 going to college and that will be grand, though no harm in being a bit older (in a 'I wouldn't start from here' kind of way).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Licksy wrote: »
    I was 16 doing the Leaving and only turned 17 in the December of my first year at college (started young and also skipped a year at primary level).
    Too young IMO and now that I'm older and wiser (ha!) I have made sure that my kids start school later and will be in no rush out of there.

You'll be almost 18 going to college and that will be grand, though no harm in being a bit older (in a 'I wouldn't start from here' kind of way).

Exactly why it depends on the person as I did not feel 15 was too young

Still more concerned about OP not knowing what they want to do, though

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I'm 17 now and won't be 18 until April 2012. I wasn't bothered bout it, didn't give it much thought....until now. I hope I'll be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i will only be 18 next February and i'm heading to NCAD in Sept granted i pass my LC! :') sure i'm only a baby but oh well it has to be done at some stage :p and i have a fear of being old and stuck in school for another 3 years or something so i skipped TY and surely wont be repeating ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm doing my LC and I'll be 18 in November going into college (or repeat considering how bad my maths and history went:rolleyes: I'll find a way out :D).
    It'll be grand. Sure someone can always buy you drink and nobody checks id at a house party :)

Way to many smiles FTW!:D:p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

I'm doing my Leaving Cert and the moment and I'm only 16, I turn 17 next month but I feel completely ready to go to college. I think it's more a matter of maturity and personal decision to go to college than it is what age you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

I just turned 17 two days before the LC, I'll be 17 for my entire first year of college in Trinity. I originally skipped TY to give myself the option of repeating or taking a year out if I wanted to, but I since decided to go straight to college. A lot of people seem to think I'm too young but I'm happy enough going ahead! Its up to you and if you feel ready or not, basically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i know a girl who was only 17 yesterday and shes doing the leaving cert this year, it just means when ya go to college ya prob wont be able to go out much,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

That's the thing, even though I'll only be 17 starting college I'm quite an independent person, and I think I would be able for college life. I know it sounds stupid, but the going-out part is what I would be most worried about because I'd hate to miss out on opportunities to get to know my class better just because I might not be left into places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

PJelly wrote: »
    I know someone who's going to college at the age of 16. He skipped 3rd and 4th year. Mental.

I never knew it was possible to skip 3rd year

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I'm only 17 now and won't be 18 until the end of October! Going to Glasgow next year. I've never had a problem with the fact that I'll be underage for a bit...

Just join loads of societies and clubs and stuff and you'll still make friends! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Honestly no, 17 is not too young to beginning college. If anything you should probably try and do the LC in one year as opposed to two. Just skip 5th and go into 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Doubt you're too young really- someone I go to college with doesn't turn 18 til November and we're going into 2nd yr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Not too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

IfUSeekAmy wrote: »
    LOLS. I think the 16yo everyone's talking about is the same. would his initials be GT. CTYIzens forever. :)

Also OP, I just turned 17last week, hoping to head off to trinity in spetember. :)

will be 17for the whole first year, doesn't bother me. :)
    Haha all through reading this thread I was thinking of the same person!

OP, are you asking us because you're just second-guessing yourself or because you genuinely have serious concerns about your maturity level/capability to handle college?
    I know a 19 year old who shouldn't be in college, he's not ready for it. But then, there are many people who were born middle-aged and are well able for it at 16! This is a case-by-case thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

i too will be 17 for all of first year. Hoping to go to Dublin or Galway next year.

I do have good success getting into pubs/clubs in town and i'v heard if you have any sort of i.d on ya you will have a good success rate getting into clubs in dublin cause of da large ques

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

IfUSeekAmy wrote: »
    LOLS. I think the 16yo everyone's talking about is the same. would his initials be GT. CTYIzens forever. :)
    I was thinking it was him (+1 for CTYI too =P)

I just turned 17 last month too and I was worried at first about making friends but I figured if somebody decides they don't want t hang around with me because of my age then I don't want to hang around with them either There's plenty of other people out there to talk to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Feck it I done my leaving cert at 16 and no problems from it. Glad to get out of secondary school, hated every living minute of that place

I'm sorry but to the person who said their relative skipped 3rd year . thats the greatest load of bull I've heard in a while IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I'm sorry but to the person who said their relative skipped 3rd year . thats the greatest load of bull I've heard in a while IMO

No it's not. He was in the Irish Times today, and other users have already clarified who he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭daviekelly123

im 16 nd just finished d leavin. 17 in november nd goin to college den 2 :) who cares what age u are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

I'm 16 - 17 is hardly too young, my friend is 15 and he's firmed an offer from Oxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I've no idea who the guy everyone else is talking about is, but it's certainly plausible. Two girls in my school skipped third year as well. Granted it was mostly because their English wasn't great but they were meant to start out in second year anyway. They ended up just going straight into TY.

There are ways around everything. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

It's not bull, I know him personally He skipped 3rd year but he still did the junior cert As well as that he was featured in a documentary on gifted children (and teenagers) in Ireland which mentioned how he he skipped 3rd year

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

Oenone wrote: »
    I'm 16 - 17 is hardly too young, my friend is 15 and he's firmed an offer from Oxford.

Yeah well I'm 14 just finished the LC. My brother Is 12 and has just got a comfirmed offer from Cambridge in the post.

GSI wrote: »
    My brother Is 12 and has just got a comfirmed offer from Cambridge in the post.

That's Bull if you ask me ! No college authority is stupid enough to take on a guy who's barely just began puberty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

That's Bull if you ask me ! No college authority is stupid enough to take on a guy who's barely just began puberty
    I think there was a hint of sarcasm in the post above you...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

I definetly dont think age makes a huge difference to be hnest!! I sat my leaving Cert when I was 17.. went to college and didnt turn 18 until the Febuary!!! Only kinda problem was making sure to get into the pubs :P

But nope it didnt make a huge difference¬! Age is a number it all comes down to maturity!! Some people can be soo matuire at 16 while others have to wait til twenty!! So if u feel like u can do it go for it!!!
    The advantage of going early is that u finish early! I am 21 and hold an Hons Degree... cuz Im young I can travel... or go back to college!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Brains?

I just turned 17 a few days ago and, hopefully, I'll be heading to UL in september! So, no, i dont think your too young!

I think it can be a big advantage being young heading off to college because, as mentioned above, your finished at a young age and have the options to continue your education or jump straight into looking for a job!

And i think if you're mature enough to ask the question in the first place and think about the future you're definatily old enough and mature enough for college! :D

Advertisement