Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to buy or make FENCE

• 14-06-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

(I can't seem to find anything on this,sorry if I have missed it..)
    Anyway I need a lot of this,about 12 panels plus the posts,anyway just wondering would it be cheaper for me to make or buy?Could you also recommend what type of timber if I make it...I want something strong and sturdy...I have been quoted €30 for the panel closed type and €10 for the posts...All advise apriciated..:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

hogflem wrote: »
    (I can't seem to find anything on this,sorry if I have missed it..)
    Anyway I need a lot of this,about 12 panels plus the posts,anyway just wondering would it be cheaper for me to make or buy?Could you also recommend what type of timber if I make it...I want something strong and sturdy...I have been quoted €30 for the panel closed type and €10 for the posts...All advise apriciated..:)

hi, you can use softwood once its been pressure impregnated to withstand external weathering. This type comes in green and brown and if cut will need to be treated at the cut grain to prevent rot.

You have a better option available with hardwoods like ash for example. The disadvantage here is the high cost.

Larch is a great option for this as it needs no treatment and is very affordable. It would cost slightly more than your bog standard treated timber but the aesthetics are worth it. Although the posts can be sunken into the ground without treatment I would still treat the ends of them to ensure a long life.

Things to take into account when choosing would obviously be budget, maintenence and aesthetics. Cheapy treated wood requires constant upkeep over its life so doing it right the first time may save you future treatment and manhours.

Its not hard to do and you will of course save money doing it yourself, just be sure to sink, level an ground your posts adequately use proper fixings that wont rust and fail outside

Advertisement