Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of meeting college grade requirements

• 14-06-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

How important are the grade specifications for college courses? I'm assuming they are very important and must be met but I thought it would be worth asking. The website for the course I want (Animation at IADT) says this:
    What are the entry requirements?

• Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent) with a minimum of Grade C3 in two Higher (or Common) Level papers, together with Grade D3 in four other subjects, to include English and Ordinary Level Mathematics or Higher level Mathematics. Foundation Level Mathematics is acceptable
    • A portfolio of relevant work
    • You may be called for interview if further clarification on your portfolio is required
    • Applicants with FETAC awards require distinctions in 3 (of 8) modules
    Would it be that important if I didn't get a D3 in one subject if it was higher level?I definitely have enough points already, I'm confident about every other subject and I'm sure I could pass ordinary level history (tomorrow), but I would like to chance higher level history (quite a big risk). Can anyone help me out on the rules here?

Also, I just realised I have definitely passed foundation Irish (Foundation because I hate Irish and I was sure it would be my 7th subject). Would this be suitable if I failed history, and if so would it look very bad to have a foundation level subject in your top six?

If anyone could help me out I would be eternally grateful. smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Generally, minimum entry requirements are minimum entry requirements.

And remember that when the CAO is allocating places, it's a computer programme, not a human that's doing it.

So whereas 30 years ago an Admissions Officer in a college *might* have thrown his / her eye over your results and said for example: "Hmm, very good results, has the points, 4/5 Honours, *just* under the pass for the 6th subject, ah, we'll allow a bit of leeway!" now the computer simply eliminates anyone who doesn't have all the minimum requirements before starting to rank those who are left by points, and that's it.

If there were places available after Round 2 you might be able to make your case directly to the college, but with animation in IADT? ... is that likely?

Do you really think you're likely to fail HL history though?

Advertisement