Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Browne - Disadvantage areas

• 14-06-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Vincent's TV3 show is doing a segment on Southhill and Moyross, starting soon if anyone is interested!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Moyross and Southill have better facilties and funding than most areas,can't seen how they are disadvantaged anymore

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Here we go again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The disadvantages aren't because of the facilities :rolleyes:

They have a limerick born Sociologist on, pretty interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    The disadvantages aren't because of the facilities :rolleyes:

They have a limerick born Sociologist on, pretty interesting.

Isn't her father Michael Hourigan?

Couldn't tell you! The blonde girl is talking an awful lot of sense.

• Advertisement

Whats your man on about if he admitted he acted the scumbag,then you are scumbag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Isn't he from the NCR?

Disadvantaged, smishadvantaged. I got 3 jobs whilst using a Southill address. It's not the address that's the problem. She reffered to people reffering to peopel from Moyross and Southill as being "them/those". I lived in Southill for a number of years and people up there reffered to people (Corbally,Raheen,Monaleen etc) as "those/them".

It's all about what you want to hear and all about the context of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

No Baron, the councillor who used to be the mayor

Couldn't tell you! The blonde girl is talking an awful lot of sense.
    A small bit but all this we had nothing,no options is bull

We all played with bits n bobs when we had nothing,she had options for school and she said she had a degree

bigpink wrote: »
    A small bit but all this we had nothing,no options is bull

We all played with bits n bobs when we had nothing,she had options for school and she said she had a degree

Sorry, I mean about the attitude of some people about Limerick people. in a 3rd level institute in Limerick

• Advertisement

Sorry, I mean about the attitude of some people about Limerick people. in a 3rd level institute in Limerick

Oh sorry
    Well that shows some the eejits we get in 3rd level nowadays

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Isn't he from the NCR?

Disadvantaged, smishadvantaged. I got 3 jobs whilst using a Southill address. It's not the address that's the problem. She reffered to people reffering to peopel from Moyross and Southill as being "them/those". I lived in Southill for a number of years and people up there reffered to people (Corbally,Raheen,Monaleen etc) as "those/them".

Well BeerBaron your from area id be interested to hear your view on it after the show

Well BeerBaron your from area id be interested to hear your view on it after the show

3 years in the area wouldn't make me an expert but at least It gives me an insight. It's currently on pause, waiting for the missus, so I'm only at the interview with the man just after the old woman talking about postal address's for jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Love how they stroll past brand new cars and new teak windows in these "disadvantaged" areas......oh and sports facilities and a playground!!!
    I have none of these things in my area and none when i was a kid (and got my toys from the pound shop, made a swing from rope and a telephone pole, kites from dunnes bags and string and peg guns from a bit of wood and a peg)
    The only swimming pool in my time was in South hill btw
    Load of crap - drugs caused all this ****e not where they live or facilities and moving the members of gangs out the county and throwing money at the problem randomly isn't going to fix it!

God the men talking would make you sick,we have nothing,no shops,can't sell tyres.

He just said theres no future for young people thats cmoing from a community leader,positive mental thinking gone

Think people are waking up to the poor mouth story and the kid gloves treatment in certain areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Nothing new but like to see limerick been shown + hope it keeps been shown till problem is fixed.

Hope vincent comes back and does a program on city centre + derelict buildings, empty shops, will it fix anything doubt it, but no point in brushing things under the carpet.

Also limerick seems to be gone really quite recently, anything to do with all the criminals locked up so far this year.

And the million euro heroin seizure shows how much heroin is being used in the city.

Much ado about nothing really.

Nice day and did you see the OPW cutting the grass? I pay €150 a year for somebody to look after my area.

My father in law works for Moyross Community Centre as a general operative paid for by the OPW for that guy interviewed.(OPW I belive). Nobody picks up rubbish in my area. Our 99 house just don't need rubbish picked up because the only time you see rubbish is when the crows get the bins. :D

The guys in Moyross said something like people in the area need jobs. Frankly, that's true of most areas of the country. You cannot just look for a job down the bottom of the estate. You, invariably, need to travel for work in the real world. Disagree with me or not, there are jobs out there.

I can understand what the Tyre fella said but fair enough thats a national problem and is nothing to do with an area being disadvantaged.

What makes an area disadvantaged? I personally don't know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think you touched on the answer earlier.
    She reffered to people reffering to peopel from Moyross and Southill as being "them/those". I lived in Southill for a number of years and people up there reffered to people (Corbally,Raheen,Monaleen etc) as "those/them".

State of mind is a big part of it.
    God the men talking would make you sick,we have nothing,no shops,can't sell tyres.

He just said theres no future for young people thats cmoing from a community leader,positive mental thinking gone

I think this part was largely a cry for help. They had to over-state their message for effect. Also, the most dramatic parts of an interview will always be used for television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Love how they stroll past brand new cars and new teak windows in these "disadvantaged" areas......oh and sports facilities and a playground!!!
    Teak windows, poor guys can't afford PVC...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I know of two very high achievers from one of those areas.

It seems to me that a lot of it has to do with the family you grow up in being honest. If your parents don't have drive or ambition for their children, then it's pretty hard for a child to drive things along.

I was told you could see mothers walking their children to the nearby primary school there at 10 or 11 in the morning. If you don't want to get out of bed in the morning and it only affects yourself - fine. If you don't want to get out of bed in the morning and it affects your child's future you're a lazy, useless f**ker. No way to sugar coat it, just depressing to hear stories like that.

Another poster brought up people's attitudes to addresses. I was surprised to learn that they (these two girls I know) claim most people don't know of places like Moyross or Southill in some other parts of the country, in particular Dublin. We all agreed though that people in Limerick and nearby counties have a very definite stereotype to residents of these areas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Isn't he from the NCR?

Much ado about nothing really.

Nice day and did you see the OPW cutting the grass? I pay €150 a year for somebody to look after my area.

My father in law works for Moyross Community Centre as a general operative paid for by the OPW for that guy interviewed.(OPW I belive). Nobody picks up rubbish in my area. Our 99 house just don't need rubbish picked up because the only time you see rubbish is when the crows get the bins. :D

The guys in Moyross said something like people in the area need jobs. Frankly, that's true of most areas of the country. You cannot just look for a job down the bottom of the estate. You, invariably, need to travel for work in the real world. Disagree with me or not, there are jobs out there.

I can understand what the Tyre fella said but fair enough thats a national problem and is nothing to do with an area being disadvantaged.

Good posts.

I had a chat with the guy I know working in Moyross this evening about this show and what he thought.

I asked him if he could tell me what Moyross was lacking that other areas in the city had t hat made them disadvantaged. He couldn't of course.

I pointed out that there are areas in the city that would love their own playground, astroturf, football pitch, church and frequent bus service.

He commented that the lads in the speedline section mentioned the lack of shops etc but neglected that, although not part of Moyross, the watchhouse cross centre was built to service that need.

I think the Vincent Browne panel will be discussing this in greater detail tonight. I have it set to record anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Oh how refreshing- apparantly it's everyone elses' fault!! Not the scumbags fault at all! How do they come up with this rubbish!

Oh how refreshing- apparantly it's everyone elses' fault!! Not the scumbags fault at all! How do they come up with this rubbish!

The young people need money spent on them for jobs clubs and groups. :rolleyes: (OF COURSE)

Moyross has plenty up to people to use it....From an older threadMission Statement:

Moyross is a local authority housing estate on the north side of Limerick built between 1973 and 1987and forms the parish of Corpus Christi. In 2006 the estate had 1,160 houses with 19 acres of open green areas divided into 12 parks and a population of 3,468. By 2009 the housing stock has been reduced in preparation for the regeneration programme to 900 houses. Up to 2008 the estate was unusual in that it spannned two electoral areas, with 728 houses part of the Ballynanty DED of Limerick City Council, and 432 houses in the Limerick North Rural DED of Limerick County Council.

This division led to residents in Pineview Gardens, Creavel Park and Delmege Park feeling disenfranchised. These areas experienced very high levels of violence and intimidation in 2006 and fed into the very high turnover of tenants in these three parks (10% each year). For a number of years there is no one on Limerick City Councils waiting list wishing to be housed in Moyross. All this led in a large part to the appointment of John Fitzgerald to draw up a report to the Government and the subsequent establishment of the Limerick Regeneration Agency in 2007.

History:

At the outset Moyross was built with no infrastructure to cater for the size of the population. Corpus Christi Church, Primary School and the houses of the Mercy Sisters and LSA provided the only community facilities until 1988. Two years earlier the first community development training took place and led to Moyross Partners becoming the catalyst for subsequent developments including a Family Resource Centre, Community Enterprise Centre and Health Centre. Later the Moyross Development Company was set up providing a range of youth activities from the disused Shannon Development Industrial Bays.

From the 1980's Moyross experienced extreme levels of poverty and disadvantage with an unemployment figure of 84% at that time. The community has had very high dependency on social welfare and a disproportionately young population. In 2001 Moyross with, Ballynanty and Kileely was designated one of the 25 most disadvantage areas in Ireland under the RAPID programme. Despite this, Moyross is characterised by strong community involvement and a commitment to working in partnership with statutory agencies to develop a range of facilities and services to meet its needs.

Socio-Economic Profile:

Population:
    The total population decreased by 7% from 4,448 in 1992 to 4,110 in 2002 and reduced again to 3,468 in 2006. (CSO 2006)

Age Dependency:
    43.8% are under the age of 25 years 7% are aged over 65 years.(CSO 2006)

Lone Parent Families:
    63.9 % of households are headed by people parenting alone. (CSO 2006)

In a local survey of lone parents, 78% are the only adult in their household. Pineview Gardens and Delmege Park have the highest concentration of lone parent families in the area.

Education and Training

29% of the population of Moyross left school at or before the age of 15. (CSO 2006) There are 3 pre-schools run by Corpus Christi School, Moyross Community Crèche and Respond Housing.

Corpus Christi Primary School caters for 294 children.

There is no secondary school in the community but St. Nessans Community College is adjacent to it as is the Limerick Institute of Technology.

A partnership between LIT and the Moyross Community Enterprise Centre completed a feasibility study on expanding the Institute into Moyross with the building of a Village Centre /LIT Campus North and formed the nucleus for the Northside Regeneration Agency Master Plan

Employment

The unemployment rate in 2006 was 24.6% 13% of people employed are engaged in Community Employment Projects or Job Initiative Schemes. Currently 140 people are employed on CE and JI Schemes by 4 different sponsoring bodies including Moyross Community Enterprise Centre, Moyross Development Company and Barnardos.

Moyross Community Enterprise Centre is the single biggest employer in the community employing 96 people in total. Speedline Engineering was the only significant commercial employer in Moyross employing 56 people. The new shopping centre has created an additional 30 jobs.

Housing:

There is a high standard of housing in Moyross. 69% are rented from the local authority. 31% are owner-occupied or on tenant purchase. 100 houses were boarded up across the whole estate in November 2006 and have subsequently been demolished along with another 160. The Northside Regeneration Master Plan envisages the demolition of all the existing housing stock on a phased basis over the next 10 years.

Services Available in the Area:

The range of groups and facilities now operating include:

Moyross Partners (umbrella body for community groups)
    Moyross Community Enterprise Centre responsible for:
    Moyross Action Centre,
    Community Crèche, Pre School and Out Of School Service
    After Schools Programme,
    Moyross Millennium Playground
    All Weather Pitch and Handball / Hurling Wall
    Two Soccer and GAA Pitches
    Community Meals for the Elderly
    Moyross Community Mini Bus,
    CCTV Security System on the estate,
    Moyross Environmental Project, Youth Clubs
    7 Micro-Enterprise Units in Sarsfield Gardens housing:
    Changing Ireland - the Community Development Programme Newsletter
    T Fashions
    Guys and Dolls Hair and Beauty Salon
    Moyross Adult Education Centre
    The community centre compound also accommodates:
    Moyross Residents Forum
    Garda sub-office,
    Moyross Health Centre,
    Caherdavin Credit Union branch office,
    Local Employment Service
    Community Development Network Moyross
    The Moyross Development Company operates from 6 converted factory units housing youth facilities including:
    Millennium Jobs Club
    Corpus Christi Youth Development Group
    Shades Youth Club
    Bayze Side Youth Club
    Corpus Christi Boxing
    Corpus Christi Kung Fu Clubs
    Corpus Christi Pipes and Drum Band,
    Snooker Hall, Indoor Soccer Pitch and Motor Cross Track.
    Ceim ar Cheim Probation Project
    Other groups and services are:

Moyross Adult Education Group
    Corpus Christi Pastoral Council
    Corpus Christi Primary School
    Bereavement Support Group
    Rainbows Support Programme
    Moyross Youth Intervention Project
    Barnardos with 2 family support centres in Castle Park and Craeval Park
    Moyross Utd. Soccer Club.
    Thomond Rugby Club
    Senior Citizens Club
    Respond Social Housing Community Centre
    Suaimhneas
    LIT Sarsfield GAA Club
    Extern
    Northside We're OK Youth Initiative
    Northstar Family Support Project
    Northside Local Education Committee
    Local Community Based Education Initiative
    Franciscan Friars
    Northside Youth Café
    Northside Youthreach
    Northside Learning Hub
    Moyross Community Companions
    There are small shops operating for many years in Delmege Park and Castle Park.

In 2004 the Watch House Cross Shopping Centre opened the complex houses some of the above named community projects plus:

Library
    Northside Regeneration Agency
    Commercial outlets include:

Super Valu supermarket with ATM facility
    Pharmacy
    Delicatessen
    Petrol station
    Bookmakers
    Hair and Beauty Salon
    Fast Food Take-away
    Chinese Take Away
    Pet Shop

There is a public bus service every half hour to the city centre on the 306 to Craeval Park and 309 to Pineview Gardens

Advertisement