Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Fillet Steak

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

prince3080 wrote: »
    iv worked in d meat industry for over 10 years so I like to think I know what I'm talking about
    I never put myself forward as an expert just saying what i think ,

Make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prince3080

iv worked in d meat industry for over 10 years so I like to think I know what I'm talking about
    I never put myself forward as an expert just saying what i think ,

Make your mind up.

I know my stuff but I'm not an expert there is always someone that knows more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Are you a farmer/butcher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Last weekend I was asked to pay 46.99 euro per kg of fillet steak in Tormey's butcher in the Galway shopping centre. Its 27.99 in tesco and around the same in SuperValu (it was a couple of months ago). Does anyone else think 47 euro is a bit insane? It'll be cheaper to get a lump of gold next!

did you say yes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I didn't know Aldi did striploin, thought it was just ribeye and fillet.
    registered bout six months ago and don't tend to post bout things I don't know about that's why iv only 3 posts but like I said some people dont know good beef from bad beef , keep that pinch of salt for ur specially selected steak ul need it lol and specially selected by who ? a guy getting 8 euro an hour to put a label on a box

You obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about if you think the Aldi specially selected is poor quality meat. Have you ever had one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You got that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

If its of any use a quick look at online butchers in the UK show fillet steak ranging grom £38 to £65. Looks like we get good value over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Can't you buy your meat at meat factories that have recently opened to the public? There are a few near in my area and they sell meat at wholesale prices but you don't have to buy in bulk. They seem very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hiawog

Beef in Ireland tends to come from 18 month old heifers and to supply demand for lean and tender then that's what we get. For me, while fillet is tender, it's too lean to be tasteful as is ribeye. You should really stick with striploin (also known as New York Steak or Porterhouse).

If you can find steak with veins of fat running through (known as marbling) then you are onto a winner. Ireland used to breed a lot of Aberdeen Angus cattle and they were the best for marbling/flavour. They are a little rarer these days as they do not grow large enough for a good return for farmers.

I tend to favour striploin from supermarkets or prime cut sirloin from butchers. The Aldi steak range are Aberdeen Angus and are well worth a punt - so it's a experience, you form and opinion and life is richer.

As for the price, well that alone would choke you. You do have to remember that a good beast supplied to a butcher is about 400 - 450lbs, less than 20lbs is fillet and not all is usable as steak.

Finally, and to compare us internationally, take a look at this link. This Kobe Japanese beef is the worldwide Holy Grail of beef (as with Matsusaka and Yonezawa beef), note the marbling and the price!! About €65/kilo but I'm told it's an experience beyond comparison.

http://www.primetimemeats.net.au/Beef-Kobe-Wagyu-Australia-KobeBeefTenderloin-Beef.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

meat from a butcher is infinitely better than that from tesco. the only thing that comes close is superquinn, but that's still a long way off.

I've heard this many times and in my experience its not true

Why would a butcher always be better?

I have a local butcher - very good reputation, quite expensive and quality very good. I also have a SuperValu around the corner and the meat is better there than in the butcher and marginally cheaper also

Why cant a butcher who works in Supervalu be every bit as good as an independent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

D1stant wrote: »
    I've heard this many times and in my experience its not true

Why would a butcher always be better?

I have a local butcher - very good reputation, quite expensive and quality very good. I also have a SuperValu around the corner and the meat is better there than in the butcher and marginally cheaper also

Why cant a butcher who works in Supervalu be every bit as good as an independent?

Because the butcher in a supermarket has to work with the meat given to him and chosen by a buyer in a office whereas a local independent butcher chooses himself what he want to work with and what quality to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hiawog

Three important things.

1. What is the method of choosing the animals. Who makes the choice and are they experienced enough to look at the animal in a field and know it's quality as consumable beef. So, sourcing is important.

2. Aging the carcass. Is it dry aged or wet. Dry is a carcass hung in a fridge (14+days) or is seamed and vacuum packed and then aged. Seaming is when it's carved to individual muscles. Both methods have advantages.

3. Cutting. Some outlets stretch their sirloin steak a little to far into the round steak area and some their striploin to far into the rib. Yes, fillet cannot really be faked but I've seen it tried.

The question is, who do you trust to have proper supply chain management. I have one supermarket and several butchers. If you are going to pay top price (on an ongoing basis) I'd recommend research.

My brother in law spent two hours researching a new €100 hard drive recently and he knows absolutely nothing of the food he eats!!

In 30 seconds I found this:

http://tomfridaysmarket.com/Know%20your%20cuts%20of%20BEEF.html

Incidentally, and it may seem obvious, T-Bone steak is both striploin and fillet - just on the bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I would wonder had the Aldi fans ever had much steak in their lives? Before Aldi arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

finbarrk wrote: »
    I would wonder had the Aldi fans ever had much steak in their lives? Before Aldi arrived.
    Google Translate
    =
    I wonder did the riff raff ever have steak before Aldi arrived.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have. I've tried loads of butchers, they can be very hit and miss. And the Aldi steaks are consistantly good and I don't bother going anywhere else now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

CiaranC wrote: »
    The specially selected steak in Aldi is consistantly good. The rib-eye in particular is fantastic. I have asked many times, but am yet to be pointed to a butcher in Dublin City who can provide better quality steak.

+1.

I buy either the ribeye or the striploin every week. Definitely an odd item amongst all the cheap Aldi stuff but no steaks anywhere else beat them.

Plus they're Irish meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Some of us can afford to buy Superquinn and M&S but actually like the stuff that Aldi sells.

When I see the proportion of non-Irish customers when I shop in either Aldi or Lidl, I just think we're very lazy consumers.

Their steaks are a gem though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Had 2 of the fillet steaks from Aldi today, great steaks but like all fillet steaks a bit tasteless, should of went for the sirloin:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

+1.

I buy either the ribeye or the striploin every week. Definitely an odd item amongst all the cheap Aldi stuff but no steaks anywhere else beat them.

Plus they're Irish meat.

Well you know that they're at least packaged in Ireland, where the meat comes from thats debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Well you know that they're at least packaged in Ireland, where the meat comes from thats debatable.

Eh. It's not debatable. The meat is traceable.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/12368.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

+1.

Plus they're Irish meat.
    Theres quite a few other Gems in Aldi:

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/14695.htm

Try the Cashel Blue cheese, its incredible. As is the whiskey and the O'Haras ale & stout

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Meat (especially beef) can vary widely in quality.

I googled a few butcher sites there and €45/kg seems about right for Fillet Steak unless of course you go for the mass processed stuff of the big supermarkets.

The best spec I found was:
    http://www.thepremiumbutcher.ie/premium-beef/30-dry-aged-fillet-steak-6oz-pack-of-2.html
    And it works out at €45.56 when you do the conversion

Advertisement