Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Doc: Inside the Weird World of Medical Studies

• 15-06-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

(Via Wired.com)

So, an arts students paid for his rent by participating in all sorts of medical studies and experiments, which after a while he started documenting.

Result is a full blown collecting of images portraying him or his environment, in what he refers to as his own art project.
    He says:
    After a year of participating in clinical trials for cash, the strangeness of the tasks and environments he was subjected to prompted Dickinson to start documenting himself with photos and video. It began for his own amusement and later grew into an artistic endeavor.
    “Finding answers is entertaining to me,” says Dickinson. “I like the process. And if an audience can learn a little something while being entertained, it’s worth it.”
    Surprisingly, permission to photograph the studies was not difficult to get. When he was deemed eligible for participation in a trial, Dickinson would tell the study organizers that he wanted to document himself going through the process. After a brief waiting period and a check-in with the supervising Ph.D., he was allowed to move forward with his photos.

I really like this collection, not sure would I call it art, but it certainly makes for fascinating viewing... I'm a fan of the simplicity of some of them, I find they show a naive sort of abstractism?

So what do you guys think? Is it art? A documentary? Fascinating?

Some of the images:
    His website here.

26.jpg

20.jpg

27.jpg

Advertisement