Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X10 and ring circuits

Options
  • 15-06-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm fiddling with x10 home automation at the moment, waiting for more gear to verify stuff, but wanted to ask something --

The X10 lamp adaptor I have can't be controlled over the power line from a socket (it's the kind that just plugs into the bayonet fitting). I'm starting to think the lights are on a separate circuit or phase to the sockets, which would explain this. X10 works over high frequency signals on the power lines.

Does anyone know if houses in ireland are generally wired like this? It's a reasonably new house, built in 2006. There's such a thing as a 'phase coupler', which goes on a DIN rail in the fuse box and bridges X10/HF signals between phases, would this be any use to me? The meter outside is single phase.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My house would be around the same age . My interface initially connects into a light circuit that feeds the alarm. I have no issues controlling bayonet fitting or socket modules. The only place it wont work is the socket that feeds a plasma TV . (too much interference I suspect)
    what make of devices are you using?
    This is the on I use
    http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/products/Marmitek-X10-Bayonet-Lamp-Module-LM15EB.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

lights and sockets are generally separate circuits

but not separate phases unless you have a 3-phase supply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

@kool Yes, I' using the marmitek LC15 and the PC controller. Maybe I'll try more experimentation with lamps in sockets, or closer to the controller.

Advertisement