Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Road Open Air Swimming Pool

• 15-06-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to someone today about the open air swimming pool that used to be on the Ennis road.
    He thought i was loopy i think.

Just wondering does anyone else remember it and how long is it gone?
    I think i was around 10 when i used to go there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Old enough to remember it, must be gone 20 years anyway.

Straight accross road from ardhu, limerick city council sold it to developer before boom.

Waterville housing estate is there now, would guess those houses sold for about 50k at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

While we're on the topic of "does anyone remember?"

Does anyone remember a giant cone/horn like structure plonked on the grass by King Johns Castle/The Tavern back in the mid 1990s? and what was it for?

Or am i imagining it? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Gone well over 20 years all i can remember as a young un was don't go there after 11 in the morning as thats when the shams began to show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I used to go there when I was VERY young, it used to be packed. Queue outside and the up the steps to get it, run to one of the dressing rooms/shed, find a spot on the grass where you can put your towel and 'ghetto blaster' and then into one of the 4 pools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I remember it well, you used to have the tshirt less wolf pack roaming through clareview on their way over to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Happy times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Oh the memories. I remember the Ennis Road Swimming Pools.

Until now I have never felt really old.

I just got a taste in my mouth of the sandwiches my mother used to make which we brought with us when we went swimming there.
    I'd say it's gone longer than 20 years.
    Those were the days....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I didnt even know there was a pool!! Bet my parents will know though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭banie01

' and then into one of the 4 pools.

It was 3 pools wasn't it???
    The Mammy's pool, the Daddy's and the baby's pool!!!LOL

I think the deep end in the Daddy pool was 8'2''......
    Remember my mam and my aunt decided to teach me to swim by throwing me in there :eek:
    Had many's a happy day there :)

I remember my grandfather telling me that it was once a resevoir for the city before it was turned into a public pool.

On another note I remember when the pool was sold and promises were made and elections won partly on the altar of a new swimming pool for the Northside that would be built adjacent to Moylish Sports Centre....
    Here we are now 20+ years later with no public pool still on the Northside and indeed no Local authority supported pool anywhere in the city anymore!

Used to go swimming with school in Roxboro swimming pool! oh the memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »
    Used to go swimming with school in Roxboro swimming pool! oh the memories

Used to love going swimming in Roxboro with school.

I remember hearing rumours that they allowed the local residents to wash their horses in the pool at night time. :P :pac:

I remember hearing rumours that they allowed the local residents to wash their horses in the pool at night time. :P :pac:

Ha ha I heard that rumour too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The rumour I heard at the time was that they broke in one night to wash the horse in the pool and could not get it back out, the next morning it was found dead floating in the pool. :p

I used to always stay in the beginners section! Far more fun instead of having to work hard in the advanced swimmer section!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I have to laugh about the "horse in the pool" rumours, there was a similar oul sceál going on in Sligo years ago that the old pool where I learned to swim was used at night for rehabilitating injured horses from the stable next door. It's since closed and I remember my Mum told me about 22 years ago that that was the reason why, and I wholly believed her. Never thought to question it until now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I remember the Ennis Road baths well, used to love it there during the summer. It closed in the early 90's as far as I remember, a terrible loss to the northside.

Always thought it was a big mistake not getting him and carrick back in the day. They were picked up for sod all back then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Always thought it was a big mistake not getting him and carrick back in the day. They were picked up for sod all back then.

Soccer forum? :pac:

Soccer forum? :pac:

Heh the disavdvantages of tabbed browsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OK,Anyone old enough to remember the open pool over in Corbally??
    Where was it??:p;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

In corbally?

Yup!;) And it isnt St Munchins 2ndry school pool either!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was that the Shannon Banks Baths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

thats Corbally baths - accessed via the Mill Rd or the Red Path - the open air pool is still there but the buildings are long gone

theres a swim down there every Christmas morning

mitresize5
    Wins the cigar!:DOne I didnt know...that the pool is still there?Must be pretty ganky by now?It was the 1st and last time I was in it in the 1980s.Think the Shannon was cleaner for a swim.:eek:

Pretty scary to think that in Limerick we had at one stage five public pools in the 80s and are down now to only two.Four cinemas in the city centre and are down now to two omniplexes on the outskirts.
    Somthing like over fifteen night clubs of various types and clintle.Now about five massive night clubs without any intimacy.
    Progress eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

there used to be a host of public playgrounds on the northside as well as the pool - Westfields on NCR, Ennis Road across from Woodfield House Hotel, Greystones/Mayorstone by the old Quarry. People fell off, people cracked bones and got cuts and it was all part of the fun. Now people do the same things and try sue someone for compo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

banie01 wrote: »
    It was 3 pools wasn't it???
    The Mammy's pool, the Daddy's and the baby's pool!!!LOL

I think the deep end in the Daddy pool was 8'2''......
    Remember my mam and my aunt decided to teach me to swim by throwing me in there :eek:
    Had many's a happy day there :)

I remember my grandfather telling me that it was once a resevoir for the city before it was turned into a public pool.

On another note I remember when the pool was sold and promises were made and elections won partly on the altar of a new swimming pool for the Northside that would be built adjacent to Moylish Sports Centre....
    Here we are now 20+ years later with no public pool still on the Northside and indeed no Local authority supported pool anywhere in the city anymore!

Your spot on, the "Daddy pool" was the same size of the "Baby" and "Mammy" pool.

Advertisement