Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint tenant

Options
  • 15-06-2011 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

im a joint tenant with my mother in the family home, if i wanted to live somewhere else lets say and apply for rent supplement to live with my partner can i still leave my name on the family home do i have to give up the joint tenancy and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People will really be annoyed with what you seem to be suggesting.

The simple answer is I hope you can't as it is effectively taking two bites from the same apple. It sounds like you want to retain rights for one government provide accommodation while getting another payment for accommodation from the government.

By the rules no is also the answer. Unless you mean something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

bot32 wrote: »
    im a joint tenant with my mother in the family home, if i wanted to live somewhere else lets say and apply for rent supplement to live with my partner can i still leave my name on the family home do i have to give up the joint tenancy and thanks.
    I'm presuming that the family home is local authority provided social housing?

Are you a joint tenant or just named on the tenancy agreement as an authorised occupant?

AFAIK in order to continue as a joint tenant the property has to be your main residence.

Advertisement