Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Rage Shooting Scope Magnifications

Options
  • 15-06-2011 3:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here succesfully shooting out to long distances? Say from 600 to 1000yards at a bin lid sized target?

If so, or even if not, what is the recommended magnification of the scope?

As a hunter, I usually shoot well within 300ya. I only need a 4x scope for deer sized targets. However, with the luxury of choices in modern scopes, I usually go between 6-8x.

I agree with Poulo from another thread that most of us are rarely going to need more than an 8x fixed.

Is 20x going to get the job done or would you recommend the jump to 32x? Is 32x a luxury?

Often, I try to buy scopes with my expected desired magnification falling towards the middle of the scope's range. Definitely not at the top end.

Also, what kind of adjustments in Wind/ELE? Are we talking at minimum - 45? Some of those Night Forces have 60/100! Typical?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I know Ezridax and dCorbus shoot out to 1000 yards so they will be the lads to tell you exactly what is needed.

A few of the FTR lads use Nightforce scopes either 8-32 or the 12-42 I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All my long range shooting is target so i can only attest to that stlye of shooting.

I use a NF 8-32. The 32 power gives all the mag i need.
    In overcast weather it is perfect and i get good resolution, sight picture, target clarity, etc.
    In sunny/hot weather the 32 power becomes useless. Too much mirage. I usually have to back off the mag. It can be as low as 16-18 power on really hot days.

In relation to adjustments. You are looking at 33 MOA for the average 30", 1:12 twist barrel in .308 going 2900-ish fps. For shorter barrels its an minute or two more. For anything under 24" i couldn't tell as i've yet to see anyone try.

Windage is hard to define. It changes not only by the day, but at times by the shot. An example would be in a 10mph wind coming direct from left to right would need approx. 5 to 6 minutes. If the wind shifts in either intensity or direction, to say an 8 o'clock wind, then the windage would reduce to 4-5 minutes. This is only an example so the figures are not "givens". (for all ye already using your ballistic calculators to check :D:p)

There is no set guide for windage adjustments. Only reading, reading, and more reading. Then getting out and practising.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Ezridax wrote: »
    In relation to adjustments. You are looking at 33 MOA for the average 30", 1:12 twist barrel in .308 going 2900-ish fps. For shorter barrels its an minute or two more. For anything under 24" i couldn't tell as i've yet to see anyone try.

You will need about 30-33 moa elevation available AFTER you have zeroed your scope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............... AFTER you have zeroed your scope.

@ 100 yards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

With No wind ..........AND ...not too hot................. at sea level. :D

And only when you have your shooting shoes on with your voo-doo charm in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Say from 600 to 1000yards at a bin lid sized target?

TBH I really had to re-read that a couple of times, I thought at first glance you meant a certain recently passed-on teatowel-wearing ak-toting gentleman of non-porcine-product-imbibing persuasion last seen swimming rapidly toward bahrain!!!!:eek::D:D:rolleyes:
    With No wind ..........AND ...not too hot................. at sea level.

Or for a .308 with a 26'' 1:11 twisty barrel pushing a 155gr Sierra MK or Lapua Scenar head at about 2800 fps MV out to 1000yards, at about 16 Deg. C, at Bog Level, you're going to need to come up about 37 - 38 MOA (up from a 100yard Zero), depending on your head- or tail-wind and various conditions.

I've been using a Nightforce NXS 12-42 x 56 with NP-R2 reticle, 1/4 MOA clicks, on a Richard Near 20MOA picatinny rail.

For a 32'' 1:12 barrel, horsing a 155gr Sierra Palma head out at about 3025 fps, I need about 27-28 MOA come-up (from a 100yard Zero) for 1000 yards.

On a scorcher of a day (a rare occurance, but it can happen, apparently!), if it gets up to about 20 - 21 Deg. C. expect to take about 1-2 MOA off.

If there's a lot of mirage, I'd take off the mag back to about x22. I like to shoot with a high mag on, and it would be very rare that I'd move off the x42, but that's just me (about 3 - 4 times in the last 16 months or so, so pretty rare!). Every lad out there will be different.
    Also, what kind of adjustments in Wind

Surely, you jest? Where to start.......:rolleyes::D

Can't really answer that in any informative way, coz I don't really know or understand that wind-lark myself!:eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

As always lads, thanks. No decision made yet.
    All my long range shooting is target so i can only attest to that stlye of shooting.
    Looking to shoot paper targets as well EZ, no attempt at game with thess distances.
    I use a NF 8-32. The 32 power gives all the mag i need.
    In overcast weather it is perfect and i get good resolution, sight picture, target clarity, etc.

32x does appear to be at the high end. I am just wondering how much mag is luxury vs necessity. Again, on my 3-9x, for deer, 4/5x is necessity, the rest, luxury.

Given the cheaper prices of the 3-9, who cares. But those $'s start adding up by the 100's when you go over 20x on the big boy scopes.
    In sunny/hot weather the 32 power becomes useless. Too much mirage. I usually have to back off the mag. It can be as low as 16-18 power on really hot days.

This scope will be used in hot weather for practice, usually above 85F and maybe up to and including 100F. Although, when it is that hot, I usually get up early to beat the heat.

When hunted, the scope will of course be used in cooler weather.

I will have to measure them myself, however, I think the barrel is 24". The round will be 338Win Mag. The scope my see some time on the 30-06 or 7mm mag. I'll have to PM you some specifics when I take them, for this thread and a previous - thanks.
    There is no set guide for windage adjustments. Only reading, reading, and more reading. Then getting out and practising.
    dCorbus wrote: »
    Surely, you jest? Where to start.......:rolleyes::D
    Can't really answer that in any informative way, coz I don't really know or understand that wind-lark myself!eek.gifwink.gif

Didn't mean that the way it sounded. I was looking for a rule of thumb for windage adjustments when it comes to long range shooting.
    You will need about 30-33 moa elevation available AFTER you have zeroed your scope.
    So I guess I will get that Roedale mount after all. I see now why - thanks for the heads up.
    TBH I really had to re-read that a couple of times, I thought at first glance you meant a certain recently passed-on teatowel-wearing ak-toting gentleman of non-porcine-product-imbibing persuasion last seen swimming rapidly toward bahrain!!!!eek.gif:D:D:rolleyes:

:D I think the same thing everytime they say - "Osama n Biden.":rolleyes:
    Or for a .308 with a 26'' 1:11 twisty barrel pushing a 155gr Sierra MK or Lapua Scenar head at about 2800 fps MV out to 1000yards, at about 16 Deg. C, at Bog Level, you're going to need to come up about 37 - 38 MOA (up from a 100yard Zero), depending on your head- or tail-wind and various conditions.

I have heard of Above Ground Level (AGL) and Above Sea Level (ASL) but now I have a new one - Above Bog Level (ABL). I will always cite dCorbus when using ABL! +1 - I like this one!

This scope will be for the bigger round mentioned at 1000yards. At this distance I just bought some 220grains. Should be fun to shoot. I will also try 30-06, probably in 180gr and some 7mm Mag, in what mass I do not know. I will advise when I have more info.
    I've been using a Nightforce NXS 12-42 x 56 with NP-R2 reticle, 1/4 MOA clicks, on a Richard Near 20MOA picatinny rail.
    Nice reticle. I think I may have to look at the NF's more seriously.
    On a scorcher of a day (a rare occurance, but it can happen, apparently!), if it gets up to about 20 - 21 Deg. C. expect to take about 1-2 MOA off.

If there's a lot of mirage, I'd take off the mag back to about x22. I like to shoot with a high mag on, and it would be very rare that I'd move off the x42, but that's just me (about 3 - 4 times in the last 16 months or so, so pretty rare!). Every lad out there will be different.

Practice will be done in very hot temperatures. Definitely in the 30C's and up to 40C. Again, when it gets this hot, it is probably to humid and nasty to shoot.

So mirage on a 85-90F day is a consideration.

All,
    Please advise a "Yay" or "Nay" for whether this Zeiss Conquest in 6.5-20x50mm would be up to the task. This is kind of all I want to afford right now, but I could wait, it is not as if I have to shoot it tomorrow.

Is this Zeiss: adequate, underpowered, spot on, or what not? I don't feel like spending if I am going to need/want more.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Advertisement