Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA removing its games from Steam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think EA realize how lucrative the digital distribution market is! They want to change the market, they want to make Origin the first stop shop for online games instead of Steam.

Its not going to happen though - I feel too many people are already using Steam and will not want to have the hassle of using two or more clients at once. So they will stick to the client they know well and have their games on.

Don't worry that will most certainly not occur! There is sort of a limbo in terms of whether EA will still actively provide support for their games on Steam, it seems they are obliged to. That should be clarified soon .

Anyway I think EA have started off on a bad note with Origin. There are already download limits and the like - http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2085/~/origin-lifetime-download-limit-error-message

omg at that link! if you cancel download button it counts as download!!! WTF?!

EA will destroy gaming industry, remember my words!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Fnz wrote: »
    That's really annoying. I was willing to pay the Steam tax for Battlefield 3; just for the ease of access to my Steam friends list.

I hope this does not come to pass. :mad:

It is not ideal i know, but one can easily add BF3 to steam in order to use its overlay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

moonboy52 wrote: »
    It is not ideal i know, but one can easily add BF3 to steam in order to use its overlay

Assuming punkbuster won't kick up a fuss!

Also, I wonder how well the two overlays would work together or does one take precedence over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Also, I wonder how well the two overlays would work together or does one take precedence over the other.

tryed playing bf2 bought on steam...... fecking horrible! you need EA account, gamespy account and steam account. each of them wants to be a man, and you are the b*tch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I have a few games added that way like Bad Company 2 and no PB issues so far.

I never thought about the fact that you would have to launch Origin to play the game.

i was thinking you could just add BF3.exe to Steam.

I have BF3 pre-ordered with EA (got in on that 50% off glitch about a month ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

CramCycle wrote: »
    But is there a possibility that you will have to sign up to Origin regardless to activate it?

My guess would be that for future games you may need to do that, but given that you can already just buy Crysis 2 retail and play it without activating on Origin (or Steam), probably not in this case this time.

Given the range of Steamworks games which oblige you to use Steam, I guess there could be future games which you have use Origin to play, and that will suck. I don't know what I'll do.. pirate, console version or just fold and use Origin? We'll see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

moonboy52 wrote: »

I want it more for the ability to see what 'Steam Friends' are currently playing, what map/mode they're on, and for the ability to join that game easily.

I can leave Steam running, and have the notifications alert me when people hop into the game. That one feature would (now) only work if all my (Bf3-playing) Steam friends added Bf3 as a non-Steam game. But now I'll have two friend lists to manage.

It's just frustrating that EA feel the best way to compete with Steam and GFWL is to force fans to use their system. Now the Steam friends list I've built up by wading through tons of a55hats and adding only players I can stand, will be worthless for multiplayer EA titles, going forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Be expecting a statement from Valve in a bit that should clarify all of this.

EDIT: Scrap that, there will no statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

you dont require a gamespy account for battlefield, its just given as an option kind of like a prehistoric steam.

origin, if its anything like ea link / ea downloader, its mearly a digital distribution system,
    it will auto launch when you click the game icon, and it stays out of the way.
    its just there do you can download patches and dlc for the game.

I bought 2142 on ea link and it never gave me any trouble.
    Only thing is I could only download it from there, but I was able to save the installation files for future install.

As for the multiple download limit link,
    from the fact that they mention active licenses, it suggests that that is a limit put on how many unique ip addresses can download and use the license, as it says you must wait for a current license to expire in order to download it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Be expecting a statement from Valve in a bit that should clarify all of this.

EDIT: Scrap that, there will no statement!
    Of course not. It probably doesnt affect those who already bought stuff. No need for a statement on their part. Just makes them look weak. Keep mum and the only jerk in this equation is EA.

And valve is pretty good at keeping it's ****ing mouth lipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The bit I'm wondering about is
    "Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis II from Steam. "
    I wonder what download service this would be? I'm thinking Origin...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm not going to flat out say that i won't buy a game if it's only available on Origin, as it could actually be a good service. We all bitched and moaned about Steam for months/years when it was first released, and now most of us swear by it, even if it is shockingly expensive at times (not Valve's fault, i know). I don't really care what service i get it on, as long as it works. If there's a game that i want, and it has to be activated via Origin...so be it. I'll still add it to Steam as a non-Steam game.

Although download limits on games you own is a giant pile of ****, and pretty much goes against everything digital distribution stands for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm not going to flat out say that i won't buy a game if it's only available on Origin, as it could actually be a good service. We all bitched and moaned about Steam for months/years when it was first released, and now most of us swear by it, even if it is shockingly expensive at times (not Valve's fault, i know). I don't really care what service i get it on, as long as it works. If there's a game that i want, and it has to be activated via Origin...so be it. I'll still add it to Steam as a non-Steam game.

Ain't that the truth, i'd say a good few will crack and sign up ASA a must have crops up. Personally I just hope they don't have the forced sign up like there was with HL2/Steam. I bought it in shop on release but had no net at home due to "issues" with suppliers and had to wait for an age to get it to activate. Years later and I am still bitter :(
    Although download limits on games you own is a giant pile of ****, and pretty much goes against everything digital distribution stands for.

This has to be an issue with it still being developed as if that continues it would mark one of the single stupid decisions ever.

Also very annoyed as I wanted to get Alice without signing up (damn it, no smiley for a single tear drop)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

the_syco wrote: »
    The bit I'm wondering about is

I wonder what download service this would be? I'm thinking Origin...

I wonder what the new rules steam have implemented are that appear to have caused all this fuss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kiith wrote: »

I don't really have an issue against Origin per say - I will probably end up using it on and off, but I reckon Steam will always remain my primary client considering I have a lot of games on it.

I guess this might just mark the beginning of a scenario where we are all going to have to start running multiple clients to play our games, and that is why I am apprehensive. All the same EA have every right to set out and try to achieve what Valve achieved with Steam. They have a major obstacle thought that Valve didnt have when they introduced Steam - that being that a lot of gamers have already assigned themselves to the Steam client.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Burgo wrote: »
    I wonder what the new rules steam have implemented are that appear to have caused all this fuss?
    Any number of things probably. DLC purchasing, DRM and Steam UI uniformity, etc.

Like for instance you can't buy Mass Effect 2 DLC on steam, you need to buy it from EA, and download it, and install it. Like it was something from fileplanet. Bleh. So 2001.

Advertisement