Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Cable Made To Order

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get an ethernet cable, possibly about 20' made up to connect the pc in one room to the modem in another. What would be the best (cheapest) place in Carlow town to source this? I imagine any of the computer repair shops might do it but someone else might know a better alternative.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

I would suggest contacting Colm Whelan at Rockfield IT Services, Unit 5 Castle Hill Centre, Castle Hill, Carlow. Tel: +353 (0)59 91 58001.

A number of years ago I went to another crowd in Carlow for 50 metres of ethernet cable. With the price they quoted I could have flown to China and bought some and still had change. Seriously. So beware of the cowboys. Alternately just buy it online as I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Morf wrote: »
    I'm looking to get an ethernet cable, possibly about 20' made up to connect the pc in one room to the modem in another. What would be the best (cheapest) place in Carlow town to source this? I imagine any of the computer repair shops might do it but someone else might know a better alternative.

Thanks
    There were a few people selling it by the meter on adverts a while back here is one advert but based in Dublin http://www.adverts.ie/295916

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

No sure if you are any way inclined ot use cat 5 often or not but it might be worth investing in a roll of it, a crimper and some RJ45 connectors.

There was a similar discussion on the following thread a short while ago if you are interested in going down the DIY route. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've been shown how to make up a cable in the past but i've forgotten and i'm pretty sure it's only a one-off necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Try Deycom Computer Services, O'Brien Road - Ask for Paula on 059 91 30777

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Try Seamus Byrne Electrical, their guys do loads of data installations.
    I'm sure they would make up a bit of Cat5 if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I rang up Rockfield and they quoted me a good price. I'm not that pushed to shop around. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Advertisement