Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logical reasons for this?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

There is a small wooden frame our kitchen hanging from another frame. For the past hour it as been tilting side to side for what appears to be no reason what so ever!

It's not happening any thing else, there is no draft and it varies in intensity (slow to fast).

What could it be? For some reason I think it's a late relative or something..! (that's the daftest thing I've ever said, I don't believe in an afterlife or anything!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gyraterosboy

Call Ghostbusters!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Is there any tv/music being used in the house, upstairs or down or anyone walking around, might be as simple as vibrations caused by people living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

that happened to me once with my keys...they were in a door within the house, no draft and just swung back and forth consistently for around half an hour until i just stopped them. it was almost as if they were being moved telekinetically by an invisible force but i just put it down to energy of some kind maybe a build up of emf in the room...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This sounds more like The Invisible Man than a ghost tbh.

If you are really quiet you should be able to hear him pottering around the house. He usually likes to live in people's houses unnoticed - sometimes even sleeping in the same room as the residents.

Some of the signs that you might have an invisible man living with you are things like socks going missing from the wash, creaking stairs/floorboards, mysterious draughts, the milk carton having less milk than you thought.

If you come across any of the above, you'll need to catch him out. The best way to do this is to buy a 2kg bag of Odlum's Self-raising flour. Then, starting from the top floor and working your way down, toss the flour all over the place and onto the floor. Do this for every room and cupboard. Also, make sure to put plenty on the kitchen as this seems to be where he's most active.

Then you need to wait for a few hours. After a few hours have passed, check around the house and especially the kitchen for footprints. It you see footprints that are around a size 10 around the house that aren't yours, then you can be fairly sure that it's the invisible man. If the footprints are much smaller like a size 1, you may have goblins which also like to create mischief around people's houses. Either way, you should cover the whole inside of your house in flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

This sounds more like The Invisible Man than a ghost tbh.

If you are really quiet you should be able to hear him pottering around the house. He usually likes to live in people's houses unnoticed - sometimes even sleeping in the same room as the residents.

Some of the signs that you might have an invisible man living with you are things like socks going missing from the wash, creaking stairs/floorboards, mysterious draughts, the milk carton having less milk than you thought.

If you come across any of the above, you'll need to catch him out. The best way to do this is to buy a 2kg bag of Odlum's Self-raising flour. Then, starting from the top floor and working your way down, toss the flour all over the place and onto the floor. Do this for every room and cupboard. Also, make sure to put plenty on the kitchen as this seems to be where he's most active.

Then you need to wait for a few hours. After a few hours have passed, check around the house and especially the kitchen for footprints. It you see footprints that are around a size 10 around the house that aren't yours, then you can be fairly sure that it's the invisible man. If the footprints are much smaller like a size 1, you may have goblins which also like to create mischief around people's houses. Either way, you should cover the whole inside of your house in flour.

I agree. Covering your house in flour is really the only way you will get your answer. Otherwise you will just keep wondering. So go on, get down to superquinn and get a trolley-full of flour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

omen80 wrote: »
    I agree. Covering your house in flour is really the only way you will get your answer. Otherwise you will just keep wondering. So go on, get down to superquinn and get a trolley-full of flour.

Don't knock it. Flour particles provide the added benefit of floating in the air when disturbed and would stick to any invisible entity. This would remove his invisibility. It might also make him cough and maybe sneeze, thus giving away his position.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The op posted in good faith and the level of response here is not welcome. Help genuinely or dont post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If you've got one thing hanging from something else that is also hanging I imagine that it wouldn't take a lot of movement to make it swing, even a slight vibration may make it more. So a loud TV or music, especially something with a lot of bass (bass tends to travel better) may be causing it to move.

Again vibratations caused by the likes of power tools (maybe someone next door doing some DIY) may cause it.

Why do you think it may be a relative? Has one recently passed?
    Also if you don't mind me asking, whats in the frame? is it jsut a general picture of something of "meaning" like a family photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

i assume you got a vid of it? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

probably a draught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

OP, when one thing is hanging under another like you mention, resonant vibration can occur. This occurs when one starts to swing at a different rate to another. Basically you need two things moving at different rates for this to occur. Eventually the rates become a fixed multiple of each other and they feedback to each other which makes the swinging more pronounced. All it takes is a VERY small starting point even the breeze from walking around could do it if it it all comes together just right. In a famous case resonant vibration brought the Tacoma Narrows Bridge crashing down in 1940.

Advertisement