Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergic to new puppy.

• 15-06-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,
    My family just got a new puppy over the weekend, and ever since I've had stingy eyes and a blocked nose. A kind of irritating tickley cough comes every now and again. And today I woke up and couldn't open my eyes (conjunctivitis?) and now they're really sore and red. Could this mean I'm allergic to my new dog? Could it be something else besides the dog and I'm just jumping to conclusions?
    I'm always around dogs and never had a reaction like this before.
    Is there any conclusive tests to see if I am allergic to my dog?
    Giving him away definitely isn't an option, will I be able to live in the house with him, vaccinations or something?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

This happened to a friend of mine who has asthma with their dog , obviously they didnt want to give up the dog. So we had a look online and found this product and he ordered it and it works a treat.

http://www.onlineallergyrelief.com/pets/pets.html

It's pet dander that is causing the problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dander

Keep us updated how u get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Could it be Hayfever? Pollen season is high around now.
    Mine has just started up over the weekend, Itchy nose, stinging eyes e.t.c.
    Try an anti inflammatory and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

Thanks so much D1976, if I find out I'm allergic to dogs I'll definitely order that product.
    @tishandy, yeah it could be, I've never really noticed a hay fever allergy before, can people just develop it all of a sudden? Would hay fever cause this red eye thing I have?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Yeah hayfever can cause your eyes to swell and go read and trigger asthma and things like that. I get it so I can confirm this. But hayfever is an allergy so the same thing could be happening if you are allergic to dander. You can develope an allergy over time too. When I was younger I had rabbits and only developed an allergy to them over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

When I got a new pup long time ago I had problems like you,thought have I just become allergic to dogs.after about a week it went away,turns out it was the flea treatment that the breeders had used causing the bad reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Give the dog a bath to ensure there is nothing that the breeder used which is causing the reaction. If you never had a reaction to dogs before then it is likely there is something on this dog (treatment etc) and not an allergy to the dog itself. Could also be hayfever. Strangely my own hayfever kicked off for the first time this weekend and a couple in work have said the same thing. Yes hayfever can kick off at any stage in your life. There are lots of generic antihistamines which will help. Go to your pharmacist and get some advice about these.

Advertisement