Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare key and restrction cert :(

• 15-06-2011 9:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had someone come look at my bike last night, he wants to buy it and we agreed on a price. Thing is, I only have one key and I told him I'd get a spare cut. Also he says he needs a restriction certificate. When I bought the bike I got a throttle stop restriction. Ducati Dublin fitted it but I never got a cert, and my insurance company never asked for one. I called them there and they said they cannot give me a restriction cert on a throttle stop restriction. Also, as I not longer have the Red Key they said they cannot cut another key.

This sucks, I doubt the guy will buy the bike now. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

that red key malarky is usually immobiliser related I'd have thought - have you got one fitted? (actually, just googled, something to that red key stuff alright... http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/19941-immobilizer-no-red-key-options.html)

can get the bike dyno'd, and a printout made - see if thats acceptable to the insurance companies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wossack wrote: »
    can get the bike dyno'd, and a printout made - see if thats acceptable to the insurance companies?

My mate recently got insured with Quinn on a throttle-stopped bike with a dyno printout/ cert. The problem is that even though the bought the bike restricted, the cert was missing so he had to go through the full rigmarole again and it cost the same as if if had never been restricted. I think it cost maybe €200 and he had to van the bike to Co.Laois.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Get someone that's handy with MSWord to make a restriction cert. Include bike details and just make it look professional, print it off, sign it and send it to them.

There's no legal definition for what a restriction cert. is ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's a great idea. €50 to anyone who does me a really really good one ;) Has anyone here got a restriction cert for their bike, what do they look like??

Also, here is a key I found on ebay - send them yours and they will copy it!

Edit: fixed link: http://cgi.ebay.ie/DUCATI-spare-coded-key-ready-start-your-bike-/160594189723?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item256428dd9b#ht_500wt_1156

I think some of the more hi-tech locksmiths can get around immobilsers with respect to cutting new keys. Try the godlen pages before you get too peeved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Zascar wrote: »
    That's a great idea. €50 to anyone who does me a really really good one ;) Has anyone here got a restriction cert for their bike, what do they look like??

Also, here is a key I found on ebay - send them yours and they will copy it!
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Blank-Motorcycle-Uncut-Key-Ducati-749-848-999-1098-/180633615205?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a0e9a3b65#ht_1357wt_905

um you only have one key and you are going to post it away to get copied?

personally this would make me nervous, potential to have no key at all and a dead lump of a bike

use a registered service at least.

sympathize......the cost of replacing those red keys getting the ignition remapped (or whatever they do) is fcukin ridiculous considering the amount of money you already fork out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys do Quinn etc Always ask for the restriction cert? I was never asked for one..

Guys do Quinn etc Always ask for the restriction cert? I was never asked for one..

They sent a letter to all their bike customers requesting certs in recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I was never asked for one either.

DD don't do restriction certs but they will fax you a letter confirming that it was restricted by them if that is the case, the insurance companies accept these. Ask for Paul in Ducati, he's a sound guy and will help you best he can.

I'll send you one when I get home from work if I can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a copy of one made up at home, it's a 5minute job in MSWORD but it then needs to be stamped by a dealer/mechanic.
    Quinn started asking everyone for Certs about 6months ago.
    I would chase up Ducati to put it on paper that they restricted your bike, sure you can even bring it out to them to verify the restriction is still in place?If you can get the key sorted and have no joy with the cert, chopper form biker.ie will issue you a new cert if you bring your bike out to him so he can verify the restriction is in place - iirc it's less than €40 fo this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

cantdecide wrote: »
    They sent a letter to all their bike customers requesting certs in recent months.

they sure did and absolutely rode me on it, they will accept a dyno if its from their approved places and they will only accept certs if stamped by approved garages...

What kami says is correct but then again quinn direct seems to think they are a law unto themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

when i had the super 4 insured i got had two weeks before getting asked for a cert, with i got the cbr600 they wouldn't even insure me until 2-3 hours after they had the restriction documents emailed/faxed to them.

thats a right pain, if you got the cert done id say the guy would take the bike with only the one key.
    GLWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I got mine insured with Quinn with a throttle stop restrictor, just get a mechanic to make sure its in place and write a formal sounding letter.(Or do it yourself as Kami suggests). Mine was hand written.

Dunno what to do about the key, I've a locksmith I know personally so I'd never have those sort of problems. You'd hardly have someone you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

you get sorted on the cert yet zascar?

I've got a cert for mine but quinn never asked and thats only in last few weeks like!

i can >_> help you if you so wish...

My mechanic said he'd do me a cert. Sweet!

I'm told that these guys might do a spare key for me: http://www.autokey.ie -emailed them, fingers crossed.

One weird thing happened today, I had difficulty getting my key in the ignition this morning, was fiddley and sticky but it went in. On teh way home it took nearly 2 minutes to get it to work. No idea why the key is not bent or anything.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any way to try to fix it? I might spray in soem WD40 and see if that helps

Yea bit of WD40 should sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

get that yet zascar? the one i got with my zxr was from the previous owner, its blue. has his name on it and states "this cert is only valid once signed by the rider and fitter"

dunno whether to scan it and alter the name address, or just send it as is. the bikes restricted, so it shouldnt matter who the rider is

was yours blue?

anyone with a restriction cert can tell me what theres looks like? dwetails on it? color of it etc.

cheers

• Advertisement

I had three restricted bikes in total. 2 had blue certs, one had an orange cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

copeyhagen wrote: »
    dunno whether to scan it and alter the name address, or just send it as is. the bikes restricted, so it shouldnt matter who the rider is

was yours blue?

Mine is blue, and has the name and address of the previous owner. I just faxed it to Quinn as is, and they accepted it no problem, so you should be grand sending it as is.

(Though knowing Quinn, whoever looks at yours might decide differently, depending on the day, weather, how much coffee they've had and whatever other factors they seem to base their answers on :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

copeyhagen wrote: »
    anyone with a restriction cert can tell me what theres looks like? dwetails on it? color of it etc.

cheers

Have seen a few. Ranging from a Blue UK one from a UK dealer to one from bikeworld which was an A4 printout with black typing on it done up in 2min in MSWORD and stamped with their stamp.
    Once it has all the VIN on it and that it should be ok even handwritten I guess as the document doesn't exist in the law.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Mine is blue, and has the name and address of the previous owner. I just faxed it to Quinn as is, and they accepted it no problem, so you should be grand sending it as is.

(Though knowing Quinn, whoever looks at yours might decide differently, depending on the day, weather, how much coffee they've had and whatever other factors they seem to base their answers on :D )

thanks everyone, ill try it as is.
    QFT by the way, quinn are an absolute joke..

They did give me an insurance quote about half of what anyone else was coming close to though in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i think my cert is just printed on an A4 page but it is signed and stamped by the garage, but quinn did ring the garage to verify the restriction. but then again it is a cbr600 so in fairness i dont blame them for checking up on it....

Advertisement