Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog not eating after having pups

• 15-06-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

My aunts dog had a couple of pups at the weekend but since hasn't eaten too much. When she does eat it is very little, she hasn't even been drinking too much. I presume this can't be good because of her having to feed the pups etc.

Is there anything that she can try to coax the dog into starting to eat again? She would usually eat dry biscuits.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When you say dry biscuits I guess you mean complete dog food, kibble? A lot of breeders put the bitch onto puppy food in the lead up to the whelping, and leave them on it while they are feeding the pups, its higher in protein than adult food, which the bitch needs.

Which dry food is she on? If she's on a really good quality adult food, then that should be okay. To get her to eat, try mixing in some sardine/mackerel - you can get tins from Tesco or Lidl for very little money, but only give the ones in sunflower oil, not the ones in brine. Or your Aunt could mix in some mince, or some chicken, anything that makes it smell more appetising. Maybe break her meals down to 4 a day as well, so that she's eating less, but more often, will help her to digest the food better, to give her the strength for feeding and looking after the pups.

Just re-read your post. Did the bitch only have 2 pups? Has she been seen by a vet since? She may have another pup or pups stuck inside, or have retained some placenta, I would recommend that she gets seen by a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

my auntie dog had pups about 3-4 weeks ago and she was the same. my aunt brought her to vet to get checked and she was perfectly fine, vet said this often happens. What my aunt did was to give her bits of chicken to get her going, then put chicken into her food. After a couple of days dog started eating normally, now a few weeks later is eating all around her. Just make sure your aunt gives her a good quality puppy food. My aunt leaves the bowl topped up with food 24/7 to make sure she is eating as much and as often as she needs. Her dog never losrt one bit of weight and isnt skinny like you see some dogs after having pups.
    No harm to bring her to vet though just to put your aunt at ease.

And by the way my aunt had her dog health checked etc before letting her have pups and had homes before they were even born, her dog only had 2 so they had homes picked out before they were even concived. Thankfully she is getting mammy spayed when pups are weaned and gone. Family are the worst to talk sence to. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I really wouldn't be chancing this, two is a very small litter unless the dog is either very old or very small.

Have the dog seen by a vet first just to rule out any complications. Hand rearing pups is not fun if something happens to the mother so for the sake of a few quid the vet would be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Thanks for the replies. She is only a small dog(terrier). She had 2 pups on Saturday night and a third on Sunday afternoon but it was dead when it delivered. Up until now she has been eating Hills Science plan complete food. There is usually no stopping her eating. We will try some of the above and see if anything changes. Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I would also recommend bringing her to the vet to get checked out esp when she delivered a dead pup. Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Has she seen a vet? The fact that she retained a dead puppy for so long worries me, she needs to see a vet.

She is going to see the vet tomorrow so hopefully will get to the bottom of it all.

Is there no way she could get to a vet today? This could be very serious, hopefully its not, but waiting another 24 hours could be too late. Sorry, don't want to be worrying you, but that dog really needs to be seen.

She tried getting an earlier appointment but that was the earliest available. They did say if there was time to fit her in or a camcellation they would contact her.

The dog seems fine although I'm far from an expert, running around and that when she is not looking after the pups. And playing with everyone, she is full of energy but just won't eat her food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Apart from other issues,dead pup etc.loss of appetite is quite normal,it will return,her body is just recovering from birth.
    You could try a kiddie multi vitiamin tonic like ABIDEC if you are very concerned,great stuff for weak and lethargic dogs and puppies alike.
    Having the last pup born dead would be a concern but as you a vetinary appointment you will find out later if all is ok.Just for future reference maybe bring her a little earlier to the vet.In a small dog like your aunts you can feel the puppy inside the birth canal so maybe be a little more aware next time.......

• Advertisement

My aunt managed to get into the vet on Wednesday evening. The dog and pups got a good looking over, as much as was possible anyway. All have been given a good bill of health. The vet did say about the length of time between deliveries being a bit of a worry but there was no obvious sign or reason as to why it happened. She wants to have another couple of looks at the mother to make sure everything is going according to plan, so she has another appointment for next Wednesday.

Advertisement