Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council vote on new Westside Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

celty wrote: »
    It remains to be seen if the revamp makes any difference after a year and a half of roadworks and this project wasn't even considered or on the cards when the revamp began.

This revamp is going on since september 2010. They're talking about the possibility of this since at least January 2011 as there was a vote in the council at that stage. So god know how ling it was with the council before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

JustMary wrote: »
    You are kidding, aren't you. Have you ever driven along the DC from Briarhill towards the motorway, and looked at al the houses on the right? Have you even driven down Doughiska Rd, with its population larger than some small towns?

Mary, I'm not kidding. I know of course that Doughiska has grown hugely in recent years. What I mean is that the houses in Shantalla and Rahoon Road have been there long before this development was mooted and the roads structure in the area made no allowance for a 'hypermarket'.

I seriously doubt that's true.

Roadworks started in october 2010. First vote on this rezoning was January 2011. Are you saying that the City Council pre-empted a local authority vote, which their own officials opposed on pure planning grounds, before starting with the roadworks on the SQR? Come off it.

antoobrien wrote: »
    This revamp is going on since september 2010. They're talking about the possibility of this since at least January 2011 as there was a vote in the council at that stage. So god know how ling it was with the council before then.

Anto, the council's own planners opposed the rezoning of the timberyard in january and july 2011. Are you and Just Mary suggesting that they incorporated plans for a 'hypermarket' in roadworks which began in October 2010? Do they pre-empt their own decisions now? Even ones in which the elected councillors go against the wishes of officials?

Surely when the developer started work on the SQR they knew nothing about this 'hypermarket' plan?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by celty View Post
    The idea of locating a Tesco on the WDR near Dunnes is, I'd imagine, a non-runner as I'd imagine Dunnes have some sort of exclusivity deal for that area.
    Ah now come one, that kind of deal would break monopoly & competition guidelines.

Anto,

What I meant by this is that there is usually one 'anchor tenant' in any supermarket development. Therefore Dunnes would have an exclusivity deal for the site on the WDR road. I don't mean any other sites in the area, but no supermarket would move into a site if they thought rivals could build just as big or as bigger facility on the same site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Anto, the council's own planners opposed the rezoning of the timberyard in january and july 2011. Are you and Just Mary suggesting that they incorporated plans for a 'hypermarket' in roadworks which began in October 2010? Do they pre-empt their own decisions now? Even ones in which the elected councillors go against the wishes of officials?

Surely when the developer started work on the SQR they knew nothing about this 'hypermarket' plan?

The roads layout serving the Higgins site has been in the drawings since 2007.

• Advertisement

I'm not for a minute suggesting there's any corruption in Galway, but I wonder if recent developments with publication of the Mahon Tribunal report will have any impact on this plan for Rahoon Road.

After all,

Councillors voted to rezone the site for a former colleague, an ex-FF Mayor. He said himself the rezoning would make it easier for him to get planning permission.

Councillors had to re-vote six months later when the first vote was deemed to be invalid (because a Councillor who was expelled from the meeting stayed in the chamber)

Officials were against the rezoning, deeming it unsuitable for the area, but were over-ruled by the Councillors.

Events of the past couple of days have thrown up quite a few questions over the whole planning process in this country. Not that I'm saying officials are always right and planners wrong ... far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm not for a minute suggesting there's any corruption in Galway, but I wonder if recent developments with publication of the Mahon Tribunal report will have any impact on this plan for Rahoon Road.

After all,

Councillors voted to rezone the site for a former colleague, an ex-FF Mayor. He said himself the rezoning would make it easier for him to get planning permission.

Councillors had to re-vote six months later when the first vote was deemed to be invalid (because a Councillor who was expelled from the meeting stayed in the chamber)

Officials were against the rezoning, deeming it unsuitable for the area, but were over-ruled by the Councillors.

Events of the past couple of days have thrown up quite a few questions over the whole planning process in this country. Not that I'm saying officials are always right and planners wrong ... far from it.

Kind of couldn't help thinking along the same lines myself the last few days. It will be interesting to see if recent developments and the backlash will influence future county council business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The roads layout serving the Higgins site has been in the drawings since 2007.

Following a query I was reviewing my files last night and it looks like my recollection was incorrect. In the drawings I have, the turning lane accessing the Tesco site appears in March 2010. An extra wide traffic island was present in one set of the 2007 drawings - I have excerpts from another 2007 design but not for that section so I don't know for sure what was in that.

Either way the road appears to precede the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Following a query I was reviewing my files last night and it looks like my recollection was incorrect. In the drawings I have, the turning lane accessing the Tesco site appears in March 2010. An extra wide traffic island was present in one set of the 2007 drawings - I have excerpts from another 2007 design but not for that section so I don't know for sure what was in that.

Either way the road appears to precede the planning application.
    You are correct. The 2007 road layout did not have this turning lane that will allow access to the Higgin's site at the Bothar le Cheile junction. The 2010 drawings have this addition (note - without arrow markings)

You are correct. The 2007 road layout did not have this turning lane that will allow access to the Higgin's site at the Bothar le Cheile junction. The 2010 drawings have this addition (note - without arrow markings)

I'm slightly confused as to the exact relevance of this point. Does it mean that this road will go ahead regardless of an acceptance or refusal of Tescos application?Does it mean that the area was earmarked by the council as a large commercial site before tesco applied for planning permission there?

• Advertisement

I'm slightly confused as to the exact relevance of this point. Does it mean that this road will go ahead regardless of an acceptance or refusal of Tescos application?Does it mean that the area was earmarked by the council as a large commercial site before tesco applied for planning permission there?

Confirmation of timelines. Section of Road being referred to is already built. Re your question: "Does it mean that the area was earmarked by the council as a large commercial site before tesco applied for planning permission there?" Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What was its zoning before the former FF mayor of Galway got his mates to rezone it?? It has been a semiderelict factory for 10 years which is not what I asked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

Does anyone know what procedure / forum would have changed the road layout in this case.
    This development appears to favour a contentious commercial development at the former O hUiginn lumberyard.
    I have attached a drawing of the lane in question. It seems to me that this road to nowhere will be confusing and possibly dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can email roads @ galwaycity.ie and ask them. Outline your extreme concern on the issue and demand an answer as a citizen.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What was its zoning before the former FF mayor of Galway got his mates to rezone it?? It has been a semiderelict factory for 10 years which is not what I asked. :)

I think you already know the answer. :)
    Did the Zoning not go from "I Zoning"(Enterprise, Industrial and Related Uses) to "CI Zoning"(Enterprise, Light Industry and Commercial Uses)

Does anyone know what procedure / forum would have changed the road layout in this case.
    This development appears to favour a contentious commercial development at the former O hUiginn lumberyard.
    I have attached a drawing of the lane in question. It seems to me that this road to nowhere will be confusing and possibly dangerous.
    Did you write to the Council? Get an answer back?

The fairly extensive request for Further Information was issued by the GCC Director of Services on 23/02/2012 and the developer has 6 months to present the required information.

Therefore, the next expected movement on this planning application is 23/08/2012.
    snubbleste wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Early_Bounce

Therefore, the next expected movement on this planning application is 23/08/2012.

Not sure about that Jack_Plumber, it appears that the access lane to the site is already completed (see attached). It seems to me that this would appear to pre-empt a decision on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Not sure about that Jack_Plumber, it appears that the access lane to the site is already completed (see attached). It seems to me that this would appear to pre-empt a decision on the application.

That's not part of their planning application though.
    From the submitted plans the entrance won't be at the lights anyway, it looks to be about half way along that lane.

• Advertisement

Been over eight months now, I seek news!

Been over eight months now, I seek news!

I think Nov 12th was mentioned as D day.

Funnily I noticed council workers on the road that joins Rahoon Rd and Seamus Quirke Rd a few weeks ago at 11am Sunday morning standing with clipboards and that large tripod thing they occasionally use. Someone else who saw them thought they were doing a traffic survey. I'd be highly disappointed if they were using a traffic survey done at 11am Sunday morning,although I couldn't say that's what they were doing.

According to Galway City Council Planning web site an extension of time to reply to Further Information request until 22/11/2012.

see: http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=11312

Once the planners have received this information from the developer, then the planning authority has 4 weeks from the day the further information is received to make a decision on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Early_Bounce

Just adding to what was mentioned above... I note on the Galway City Council website that if the requirement for further information is not complied with within 4 weeks Galway City Council shall refuse the application.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/MakinganApplication/FurtherInformation/

facebook.com/ConnachtTribune
    Decision on €15m plan for Tesco 'hypermarket' in Westside due on December 19 after substantial further information on the proposal was submitted to City Hall in the past hour. See tomorrow's Galway City Tribune.

Decision Due Date: 12/01/2013

Decision Due Date: 12/01/2013
    Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Still waiting.

And will be for a while by the looks of it:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/29912-planning-deadline-extended-rahoon-development
    Meanwhile, last week city planners requested that plans to build a Tesco on the site of the former T O hUiginn building to be scaled back.

In a separate planning application, they have requested clarification in relation to certain aspects of the supermarket development including internal road layouts.

This bit is not online but from this article

Regardless of their decision, an appeal to An Bord Pleanála is inevitable, so if eventually granted, it would probably not be built until mid-2015.

So letters are out letting us know that we can view the revised plans for the Tesco development and launch objections if we have any.

According to the letter I received the only serious revision is that the main entrance has been moved from Seamus Quirke Road to the new road that will run between Seamus Quirke Road and Rahoon Road. The back entrance onto Rahoon Road will remain as initially planned.

For me personally this plan is even worse than the first draft and addresses none of the points I objected on. Placing an entrance on a through road between SQ rd and Shantalla actively encourages customers to travel to the shop via Shantalla/Rahoon Road. Congestion on those small residential roads that have so much pedestrian traffic and that so many small children use to walk to school is not a good thing. Also it will make access to Highfield Park more difficult for residents and will completely change the nature of the area from Shantalla Road through Rahoon rd for residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

This was in The Guardian on 18 April 2013:

"Tesco now claims to be Ireland's leading grocer. No major new stores are planned as consumer spending has been hit by austerity measures. Tesco didn't open any hypermarkets there last year and only five small stores. Underlying sales slipped back 1% as austerity measures continue to bite."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/18/tesco-empire-uk-and-beyond

So is it still going to be a Tesco, I wonder?

Advertisement