Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council vote on new Westside Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Eeden wrote: »
    This was in The Guardian on 18 April 2013:

"Tesco now claims to be Ireland's leading grocer. No major new stores are planned as consumer spending has been hit by austerity measures. Tesco didn't open any hypermarkets there last year and only five small stores. Underlying sales slipped back 1% as austerity measures continue to bite."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/18/tesco-empire-uk-and-beyond

So is it still going to be a Tesco, I wonder?

Well that is interesting!
    I wonder either are they trying to get planning permission because land with permission would be easier to sell ? Then god knows what we would get stuck with in future. Certainly I doubt a Dunnes, Supervalu,Aldi or Lidl would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

This was in The Guardian on 18 April 2013:

"Tesco now claims to be Ireland's leading grocer. No major new stores are planned as consumer spending has been hit by austerity measures. Tesco didn't open any hypermarkets there last year and only five small stores. Underlying sales slipped back 1% as austerity measures continue to bite."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/18/tesco-empire-uk-and-beyond

So is it still going to be a Tesco, I wonder?

Tesco have also bought land in Briarhill (opposite Western Motors), the same question could be asked of the proposed development there.

Tesco know any development - if approved by GCC - will not go ahead until 2015 or so due to the expected raft of objections to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

antoobrien wrote: »
    Tesco have also bought land in Briarhill (opposite Western Motors), the same question could be asked of the proposed development there.

Tesco know any development - if approved by GCC - will not go ahead until 2015 or so due to the expected raft of objections to ABP.

Do Tesco actually own the land in Westside, or is it still owned by Cllr O hUiginn?

Do Tesco actually own the land in Westside, or is it still owned by Cllr O hUiginn?

Not sure but the planning application for briarhill wasn't in Tesco's name either (I know that there were several houses bought for the development for large amounts of money), so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a conditional agreement there to buy the land.

A successful High Court challenge by a former Mayor against a vote on the rezoning of land off the Seamus Quirke Road for a new Tesco supermarket cost Galway City Council just under €130,000, it has emerged.
    City councillor Peter Keane – who is a solicitor by profession – said he was “flabbergasted” by the bill for €129,257, which will have to be footed by the taxpayer.
    See the full details, including the history to the controversy, in tomorrow's Galway City Tribune

From the City Tribune fb.

I can't get a hold of it this weekend so I don't know any further details. If anyone has read the article maybe fill us in ?

Sounds a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement

I can't get a hold of it this weekend so I don't know any further details. If anyone has read the article maybe fill us in ?

Sounds a bit dodgy.

There's an article online but it doesn't mention the court case, just that they reduced the total floorspace by 8% and made various changes based on residents concerns.

I'll have a look at the paper when I get home and let you know if there's any mention of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You mean ex-Cllr?

You mean ex-Cllr?

Yeah, sorry. I did mean ex-Cllr. Couldn't remember how to spell Micheál and got a bit lazy...

A successful High Court challenge by a former Mayor against a vote on the rezoning of land off the Seamus Quirke Road for a new Tesco supermarket cost Galway City Council just under €130,000, it has emerged.
    City councillor Peter Keane – who is a solicitor by profession – said he was “flabbergasted” by the bill for €129,257, which will have to be footed by the taxpayer.
    See the full details, including the history to the controversy, in tomorrow's Galway City Tribune

Sounds a bit dodgy.

The article is on page 2 - separate from the main one. The original vote was ruled invalid by the high court because Catherine Connolly had been expelled from the meeting before the vote but still voted. The high court ruled that because she voted the vote was void, so it would have to be retaken and awarded 2/3 of costs to O'hUigin (who took the case to the high court).

The article is on page 2 - separate from the main one. The original vote was ruled invalid by the high court because Catherine Connolly had been expelled from the meeting before the vote but still voted. The high court ruled that because she voted the vote was void, so it would have to be retaken and awarded 2/3 of costs to O'hUigin (who took the case to the high court).

Thanks Antobrien. That sounds a bit less dodgy then I suppose if costs were awarded to him by a court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Planning application re-submitted this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

I have been taking a look at recent correspondence concerning the planning proposal for the former O’Higgins Lumberyard on Rahoon Road/Seamus Quirke Road (11/312, the proposed Tesco development).
    …I am wondering if anyone might have any insights into the appropriateness of an exchange that has come to light between owners of the Westside Business Centre and Galway City Council….
    Cormicans own the Westside Business Centre on Seamus Quirke Road opposite Dunnes Stores (where IN Kitchen, A/D Carpets, Westside Cycles and other are located). The Cormicans have written to the Planning Office (23/05/2013). Their letter concerns a meeting in June 2006 with officials from the Transport and Infrastructure Department to discuss the provision of direct access road from Westside Business Centre to the Seamus Quirke Road.
    Given the planned developments for the SQR, the Senior Engineer advised Mr Cormican to act with the owner of the adjacent lands, Mr M Ó hUiginn, to propose a shared access route for both properties to the Seamus Quirke Road (‘I have had separate meetings with both yourself and Mr M O’hUiginn regarding the City Councils view on the matter. At such meetings it was indicated by the City Council that both parties should work together to develop the preferred solution’).
    Those familiar with the Seamus Quirke Road will know that a ‘blank’ lane has been added to the inbound route on the Seamus Quirke Road at the Bóthar Le Chéile junction (near McDonalds).
    I am wondering if City Council has overstepped their authority in directing a planning application?

Given the planned developments for the SQR, the Senior Engineer advised Mr Cormican to act with the owner of the adjacent lands, Mr M Ó hUiginn, to propose a shared access route for both properties to the Seamus Quirke Road
    I am wondering if City Council has overstepped their authority in directing a planning application?

The advice could have been given as part of pre-planning consultation, which is a normal part of the planning process. I don't see anything untoward there.

Planning permission has been granted for application 11/312 (06/06/2013).
    This permission is conditional and City Manager's Order 63373 sets out 30 conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Planning permission has been granted for application 11/312 (06/06/2013).
    This permission is conditional and City Manager's Order 63373 sets out 30 conditions.

Any conditions of NOTE amongst that 30?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I, for one, welcome our new Tesco overlords.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Any chance of Tormey's setting up a stall that side of the river too? Then I'd never need to go to the Galway shopping Centre again.

I don't see any reference to this on the planning enquiry tool, how can we view that information?

I don't see any reference to this on the planning enquiry tool, how can we view that information?

Hi antoobrien,
    Try this link:
    http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=11312

Then scroll 2 screens down to the section entitled 'Decision'. If this doesn't come up trumps, then take a look at the attachment. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to shed any light on the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Considering that the council built the entrance to this site off New Seamus Quirke Road last year (section covered with plastic and gravel near the Maxol), and neither planner John Doody or senior executive engineer Mr. McElligott would reply to correspondance about it (May 2013 and May 2012 respectively), there was never any doubt that this would be approved?

Considering how long that roads project went on for from proposal to completion, how was an entrance to this site ever even in the plan?

• Advertisement

Any conditions of NOTE amongst that 30?
    Having review the 30 conditions, it is striking that there are no onerous requirements demanded by Galway City Council.
    Instead, it would appear that the approval is based more on how much you can afford to pay for development charges (in this case €495,482) rather than on criteria for proper planning and sustainable development.

Fey! wrote: »
    Considering that the council built the entrance to this site off New Seamus Quirke Road last year (section covered with plastic and gravel near the Maxol), and neither planner John Doody or senior executive engineer Mr. McElligott would reply to correspondance about it (May 2013 and May 2012 respectively), there was never any doubt that this would be approved?

Considering how long that roads project went on for from proposal to completion, how was an entrance to this site ever even in the plan?

It looks like the council wanted to consolidate the number of entrances/exits on SQR, so they'd be interested in doing this if it will remove the current entrance to the Rahoon Rd regardless of the status of the development.

It looks like the council wanted to consolidate the number of entrances/exits on SQR, so they'd be interested in doing this if it will remove the current entrance to the Rahoon Rd regardless of the status of the development.
    That's a big if? Would be very surprised if they remove the current entrance to the Rahoon Rd after the new road is built. You never know though with City Council.

That's a big if? Would be very surprised if they remove the current entrance to the Rahoon Rd after the new road is built. You never know though with City Council.

I seem to remember talks of the changes to the ESB substation requiring the road to be closed, so a quick search shows it was mentioned early in the thread.

A twist in the plot!

The gist seems to be this :
    According to that article the reduction in size of 900-1000sq feet hasn't gone down well.They're not happy either that they have to pay 3.5m for the new access road too rather than have direct access from SQR. Mr O h'Uighinn confirmed that Tesco are still forerunners but no longer definite.It says they'll appeal the decision to An Bord Pleanala.

296101_532903196765927_655699044_n.jpg

According to a screenshot of tomorrow's Sentinel that I saw on Broadhseet.ie, Tesco are "no longer locked in as anchor tenants" of the development in Westside, because "disagreements have arisen between supermarket giants and developer".

That's all I can make out from the screenshot.

_Whimsical_, you got there before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Something about them not being happy that the developers have to pay for the new road instead of having direct access from SQR. Tesco not happy about the size reduction either though from the plans I've seen there's no major reduction in floor space so I don't see why thats a big issue

A twist in the plot!

The gist seems to be this :
    According to that article the reduction in size of 900-1000sq feet hasn't gone down well.They're not happy either that they have to pay 3.5m for the new access road too rather than have direct access from SQR. Mr O h'Uighinn confirmed that Tesco are still forerunners but no longer definite.It says they'll appeal the decision to An Bord Pleanala.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296101_532903196765927_655699044_n.jpg

The text of the story is available on the website: http://www.connachttribune.ie/news/item/627-tesco-no-longer-locked-in-as-anchor-tenants-at-new-centre

Selected quotes from the text:
    It’s understood that the scaling back of the size of the supermarket, along with a condition that the developer ‘foot the bill’ for a €3.5 million new road dissecting the site, has invalidated an agreement that was in place between the site owner and Tesco.
    He (Micheál Ó hUigínn) confirmed to the Sentinel yesterday (Monday) that while an agreement had been in place with Tesco, it was based on certain road and building layout on the site, which had since been altered.

“That agreement is no longer in place. There will be appeals on all sides, and when a decision is given by An Bord Pleanála, we will look then at who the interested parties are. Tesco are not a definite, but would still be the forerunner,” said Mr Ó hUigínn.

It was initially intended that there would be access to the site from Seamus Quirke Road (a ‘ghost’ turning lane was built during the road upgrade), but the developer has been asked to construct a full public road at his own expense.

It’s understood that land and construction costs would amount to around €3.5m for the road, making it unfeasible.

How could the road cost €3.5? Proposed road is only around 600/700 300/400 meter's in length?

• Advertisement

How could the road cost €3.5? Proposed road is only around 600/700 300/400 meter's in length?

Probably from the cost of the SQR works. IIRC the final cost was about €14m, over a distance of about 1.6km.

While the figure looks high remember that the problems were caused by the contractors finding services that had to be moved. If there is anything (e.g. sewers, ESB, Gas, UPC/NTL, telecoms etc) to be moved they'd have to pay for all that as well part of the works.

Advertisement