Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council vote on new Westside Tesco

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Apologies if this is already posted but the application can be viewed here

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=11312#

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

Just for the record... there appears to be 10 different parties appealing the planning decision, namely:

1 Colm O' Donnellan and Gerry Purcell, (Appellant) (Active)
    2 Mary Cunningham, (Appellant) (Active)
    3 An Taisce Galway Association, (Appellant) (Active)
    4 T O' Higgins and Company Limited, (Appellant) (Active)
    5 Rumbold Builders (in Receivership of HWBC Allsop) (Appellant) (Active)
    6 Bernadette and Jim Cormican, (Appellant) (Active)
    7 Matthew Molloy, (Appellant) (Active)
    8 Galway City Business Association, (Appellant) (Active)
    9 Rahoon Residents Association, (Appellant) (Active)
    10 RGDATA, (Appellant) (Active)

From this listing, it would seem that there is a mix of appellants against the development in its entirety (eg RGDATA), others against the conditions of the permission (T O' Higgins and Company Limited) and another against the design of the link road (Bernadette and Jim Cormican).

I'm surprised to see that only one residents' group has lodged an appeal.

The matter should be dealt with by 30-10-2013.

Source: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/242151.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think that the Rahoon Residents Association is a combination of residents associations incl. Maunsell's Park, Highfield Park, Rahoon Road, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

An Taisce are objecting?:eek:
    (What a surprise):rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

dell1211 wrote: »

Fair enough the petrol station will be good for galway as it will force other stations to reduce prices(like claremorris)

i got diesel in ballinasloe tesco with (10 cent off per litre if you spend over 100 euro) burned like water lasted about 70% as long as normal diesel.
    never again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Just for the record... there appears to be 10 different parties appealing the planning decision, namely:

1 Colm O' Donnellan and Gerry Purcell, (Appellant) (Active)
    2 Mary Cunningham, (Appellant) (Active)
    3 An Taisce Galway Association, (Appellant) (Active)
    4 T O' Higgins and Company Limited, (Appellant) (Active)
    5 Rumbold Builders (in Receivership of HWBC Allsop) (Appellant) (Active)
    6 Bernadette and Jim Cormican, (Appellant) (Active)
    7 Matthew Molloy, (Appellant) (Active)
    8 Galway City Business Association, (Appellant) (Active)
    9 Rahoon Residents Association, (Appellant) (Active)
    10 RGDATA, (Appellant) (Active)

From this listing, it would seem that there is a mix of appellants against the development in its entirety (eg RGDATA), others against the conditions of the permission (T O' Higgins and Company Limited) and another against the design of the link road (Bernadette and Jim Cormican).

I'm surprised to see that only one residents' group has lodged an appeal.

The matter should be dealt with by 30-10-2013.

Source: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/242151.htm

The Galway Cycling Campaign also submitted a set of "observations" to An Bord Pleanala. (Only costs EU50 to make an observation). These are confined to road design and traffic impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

galwayrush wrote: »
    An Taisce are objecting?:eek:
    (What a surprise):rolleyes::rolleyes:

All hail OmniCorp and their Glorious Concrete Pourers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi is to increase their store by a third next year http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=13311
    amalgamation of the existing permitted Aldi Discount Foodstore & the adjoining permitted retail unit at West City Centre retail park to create an enlarged discount foodstore

Just for the record...

the An Bord Pleanala decision following the oral hearing is due just before Christmas.

242151: Seamus Quirke Road and Rahoon Road, Galway. (11/312)

Demolition of existing premises construction of Retail development including cafe/restaurant, licensed premises, parking, roads and ancillary works at the former T O'Higgins Manufacturing Facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

"Tesco have reported another dip in sales - the company said that third quarter sales in Ireland fell by 8.1 per cent." (Irish Times today)

This may make them reconsider the new shop...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

jkforde wrote: »
    "Tesco have reported another dip in sales - the company said that third quarter sales in Ireland fell by 8.1 per cent." (Irish Times today)

This may make them reconsider the new shop...

Aldi and Lidl are eating into their revenues at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

Anybody been into the new Dunnes in Westside? Looks lovely! It needed the work done tbh and it has works still ongoing but looks very impressive so far, new deli is nice with a pizza bar nom nom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was in Dunnes Westside yesterday and what a difference in that store since they done a revamp, its so bright and cheery, well laid out and as said the new deli is fantastic, its a pleasure to go in there now compared to the old jaded look before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Kinda annoying they blocked up the outside ATM and the one that was immediately inside the door is now located at the arse end of the store (like the Knockncarra Dunnes). Is it some shallow ploy to get me to buy something in there after making me angry for the inconvenience?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

newkie wrote: »
    Kinda annoying they blocked up the outside ATM and the one that was immediately inside the door is now located at the arse end of the store (like the Knockncarra Dunnes). Is it some shallow ploy to get me to buy something in there after making me angry for the inconvenience?

In a nutshell , yes. But the other reason is security

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In a nutshell , yes. But the other reason is security

What was the issue with the outside ATM? Am I correct in assuming it is gone completely? If so isn't that the only one in that area open at night (after shops close)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

In fairness it is a bit harder to take a digger to it inside the shop (whcih I think happened a number of years ago at the Ulster Bank in Liosban).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That all sounds like a bit of an excuse to me. Are we to lose every outdoor ATM at this point? I would have thought other security measures such as a metal shutter that could have been pulled down after closing time could have been used instead.

Anyhow, we're veering wildly off the topic of Tesco here so we'll just agree to disagree. Dunnes will certainly not see a cent from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That all sounds like a bit of an excuse to me. Are we to lose every outdoor ATM at this point? I would have thought other security measures such as a metal shutter that could have been pulled down after closing time could have been used instead.

Anyhow, we're veering wildly off the topic of Tesco here so we'll just agree to disagree. Dunnes will certainly not see a cent from me.

The outside ATM was Ulster Bank not Dunnes , Dunnes was the Bank Of Ireland which was inside the door on the left, its still there but further back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

That all sounds like a bit of an excuse to me. Are we to lose every outdoor ATM at this point? I would have thought other security measures such as a metal shutter that could have been pulled down after closing time could have been used instead

That Ulster Bank ATM actually had such a shutter. It was always closed late at night. No idea why it was removed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That Ulster Bank ATM actually had such a shutter. It was always closed late at night. No idea why it was removed though.

Maybe their moved inside to help prevent people being mugged after taking out money or to make it more difficult for people who are trying to fit them with little cameras or scanners to steal card details. Wasn't it only recently that people using Dunnes Terryland atm were hit by a scam like that? I always feel a bit safer using atms inside shops personally.

Last I heard (back in June sometime) in the Tribune, Tesco were going to announce whether they were still interested in being a part of the project. This was to happen in the following few days. I've heard nothing since.

EEden,

The An Bord Pleanála decision for case 242151: Seamus Quirke Road and Rahoon Road, Galway is imminent and should be determined in the next week or so.

You can check later on the web link given below to determine the status (ref 2). As far as I can ascertain NO decision was made at the time of this posting.

Refs:
    1. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/242151.htm
    2. http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2014/decided/index.htm

Thanks, Jack.

I did see in the Tribune today that the supposed "deadline" for the decision was yesterday, but no decision has been announced as yet.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Still "looking into it"

Still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

trying to pass this without anyone noticing. maybe?

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    trying to pass this without anyone noticing. maybe?
    Eh no, I'm on the ball :cool:

Advertisement