Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council vote on new Westside Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh no, I'm on the ball :cool:

And it's not like it's not going to be all over the papers when a decision is made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

antoobrien wrote: »
    And it's not like it's not going to be all over the papers when a decision is made.
    Exactly. Vigilance is vital.

Exactly. Vigilance is vital.

Yeah, so I still hope it's built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Vigilance is vital.

Are you a disciple of John Stuart Mill by any chance? ;)

When it come to dealing with local authorities' "planning" culture and practice, you need to keep your eyes peeled. You also need to keep track of other planning applications and decisions, as well as projects proposed and completed by other departments, especially Roads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

From Connacht Tribune FB page;

Controversial plans for a €15 million Tesco supermarket off the Seamus Quirke Road have been turned down by An Bord Pleanala

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am delighted! I think this is sense prevailing. It would've ruined the local area.
    Well done everyone who sent objections and who attended the oral hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

fair play
    common sense prevails.
    horrendous location to build another supermarket. traffic in the area can't cope as it is in peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Nothing on local radio this morning about this but hey ! its Galway Bay FM always behind with news.

Aerohead wrote: »
    Nothing on local radio this morning about this but hey ! its Galway Bay FM always behind with news.

The CT own GBFM, so if it was on their FB page, it's likely that they're waiting for some details.

The planning entry on the ABP states:
    Case has been decided, details will not be available before 13-Aug-2014

but it doesn't say what the decision is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Looks pretty dead
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/permission-refused-for-tesco-hypermarket-in-galway-1.1894888
    Excessive scale, conflicts with zoning objectives, detracts from viability and vitality of city centre and visually discordant.

If Tesco want their big store it's going to have to be part of the Galway Shopping Centre redevelopment if that ever happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The viability of the city-centre argument is lame: a supermarket in this site wouldn't be competing with the city centre at all.

But the next question is - what can the site be used for, that won't have those same factors applying to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I suppose it might well now be used for a large busy city centre industrial factory, making furniture maybe? Of course this likely wouldn't require planning and it would be interesting to see how some people would find a way of objecting to that use.

I still think that it could make a great satelite of UCHG. Whole units of the hospital are now self contained, like Breast Screen for example where they have all equipment necessary for tests for a screening program under one roof. Another outpatient imaging centre could be of great value to Galway too. Moving some of those facilities that attract high volumes of patients and cars off campus in UCHG could be a great idea.

But the next question is - what can the site be used for, that won't have those same factors applying to it?
    it is considered that the proposed development by reason of its nature and excessive scale would conflict in a material way with the zoning objective for the site

The main problem seems to be the scale of the development. I'd say any industrial or office use that would not increase the visual impact of the site would probably get a go ahead.

I'd have a bigger problem with this bit:
    Having regard to the nature and scale of the proposed development and the proposed quantum of retail floor space in excess of the retail requirements of the immediate area

This makes it unclear as to what if any retial use the site could be put to.

Oh yeah, note to planners & ABP the "immediate area" is county Galway west of the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yeah, so I still hope it's built.

It's a bad site for this, the big pit beside dunnes is perfect for this kind of development...

It's a bad site for this

Perfect site for it. Near the access routes for the county and would clean up the access to SQR. As it is we're left with Rahoon Rd dumping one way onto SQR that is practically unusable as a right turn at rush hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Perfect site for it. Near the access routes for the county and would clean up the access to SQR. As it is we're left with Rahoon Rd dumping one way onto SQR that is practically unusable as a right turn at rush hours.

Wasn't that development going to close off the junction with SQR and Rahoon Road altogether?

Eeden wrote: »
    Wasn't that development going to close off the junction with SQR and Rahoon Road altogether?

Yeah, and there was talk of the ESB station there at the turn expanding across what is now the road. I wonder what will happen now.

Yeah, and there was talk of the ESB station there at the turn expanding across what is now the road. I wonder what will happen now.

Nothing, unless the council buy (at least) part of the site to build the road (which presumably would be a Part 8 procedure) and do this anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

One of the requirements Galway city council laid out when they granted permission for it was that the owner Micheal o hUiginn,build a public road at his own expense which would have made a crossroads at the traffic light T junction where MaxolMcDonald's is now.

This would have resulted in the closing off of the Rahoon road exit onto SQR

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What happens now?
    A new application, rezoned residential, a school, a carpark..?

Moving some of those facilities that attract high volumes of patients and cars off campus in UCHG could be a great idea.

But wasn't increased traffic one of the concerns people had about the supermarket proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

As one of the three grounds for rejecting this application was zoning, it would be very interesting to hear the view of the councillors who promoted the controversial rezoning against the wish of the City Manager.

The motion was proposed by Fianna Fail Cllr Peter Keane and seconded by current mayor Donal Lyons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As stated already I too am confused how local radio has not covered this decision, is it because the Connacht Tribune own GBFM and want to run it on Friday by which time it will be stale news. Every time a decision was taken to put back the application decision by the planning board it was headline news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I'm glad it's not going ahead, the traffic there is already horrible - I wonder though what will happen to the filter lane on the SQR that they already put in?

I'd love to see that hole in the ground next to Dunnes filled by another Tesco though. Tesco has more choice in ethnic foods than Dunnes. It'd be good to have some variety on this side of town and it's a much more appropriate location.

But wasn't increased traffic one of the concerns people had about the supermarket proposal?

Well the traffic from a clinic would be entirely different from that of a supermarket. A busy clinic would attract maybe 90 people over the course of the day at staggered times due to appointments being timed. There'd never be a huge concentration of traffic to it at rush hour or on holidays etc. Traffic wouldn't be a problem.
    In my earlier post I really mean high volume of cars that would require parking spaces rather than enough to cause traffic.There'd be room on the SQR site for a building and enough parking spaces for all cars requiring it at a given time.

It'd be in everyone's interest if they were going to an appointment to know you were not going to need to be there early so you could drive around the hosp for 20 mins looking for parking.

I'm glad it's not going ahead, the traffic there is already horrible - I wonder though what will happen to the filter lane on the SQR that they already put in?

I'd love to see that hole in the ground next to Dunnes filled by another Tesco though. Tesco has more choice in ethnic foods than Dunnes. It'd be good to have some variety on this side of town and it's a much more appropriate location.

What is the hole in the ground next to Dunnes ?

What is the hole in the ground next to Dunnes ?

Ahh, it's a hole. A big one.

(They mean Dunnes in Knockers, not Westside.)

Ahh, it's a hole. A big one.

(They mean Dunnes in Knockers, not Westside.)

Ah I see! I was wondering what I'd been missing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Ah I see! I was wondering what I'd been missing. :)

This: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76823270&postcount=24

Advertisement